Re: FTP Client With File Encryption For Remote Backup?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by D. Spencer Hines, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. If you want to encrypt some files -- put them on an FTP Server at an ISP --
    insist that the ISP have no access to them, or anyone else, except as you
    designate and/or control -- I want the Department of Homeland Security to be
    checking into what you are up to -- through the FBI, and other Agencies as
    appropriate.

    Great Way For Terrorists To Position Data And Plans -- Encrypted -- For
    Pickup By Confederates -- On An ISP FTP Server.

    Don't You Pogues Realize We Are At War?

    Damned, If You Aren't Gullible, Naive Children!

    Now, Go Stand In The Dunces' Corner -- With Your Faces To The Wall.

    DSH

    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    Fortem Posce Animum

    Veni, Vidi, Calcitravi Asinum

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 21, 2006

  2. D. Spencer Hines wrote:

    > If you want to encrypt some files -- put them on an FTP Server at an ISP
    > -- insist that the ISP have no access to them, or anyone else, except as
    > you designate and/or control -- I want the Department of Homeland Security
    > to be checking into what you are up to -- through the FBI, and other
    > Agencies as appropriate.

    And I want twin blond virgin nymphomaniacs with no gag reflexes to beg me
    for sex.

    Fortunately for the subset of the population of this planet with an
    opposing thumb, my wants are far more likely to come to fruition than
    yours. :)

    > Great Way For Terrorists To Position Data And Plans -- Encrypted -- For
    > Pickup By Confederates -- On An ISP FTP Server.

    No, it's really not a great way. It's a really bad way in fact. Anyone
    could replace those files with bogus versions or delete them all together,
    completely boogering all their meticulous terrorist plans. Or log access
    to those files and capture everyone involved. Or predict an incident by
    way of traffic analysis. Or any number of other attacks leaving your
    encrypted data laying around might open you up to.

    A really great way would be to send a trusted courier from 'A' to 'B' with
    those encrypted files copied to a USB device, which has been double
    wrapped in condoms, tied with dental floss, and swallowed. Obviously,
    rubbers and dental floss are dire threats to our national security. If you
    purchase these things you should be required to provide me with video
    evidence that you've used them in a proper, acceptable manner.

    A slightly less great way would be to set up some sort of "VPN" that
    masqueraded as your typical HTTPS connection to some auction site like
    eBay or an innocuous looking on line coffee mug store.

    If you're shopping on line, I want the Department of Homeland Security
    to be checking into what you are up to -- through the FBI, and other
    Agencies as appropriate...

    <sigh>

    P.T. Barnum was spot on. :(

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Feb 21, 2006

  3. This would be twin blond males, of course.

    An anonymous pervert...That's "Borked Pseudo Mailed".

    I prefer blondes.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 21, 2006
  4. D. Spencer Hines wrote:

    > This would be twin blond males, of course.

    Glaring lack of any intelligent rebuttal is noted...

    By the way, have you stopped to consider the ramifications of the article
    you posted, supposedly in defense of your anal retentive idiocy? They were
    *caught* Einstein, and their communications *intercepted*. By some
    strange twist of fate is there a single synapses in that empty head of
    yours that still retains the ability to assimilate the idea that getting
    caught really isn't what budding terrorists might want? That those
    intercepted communications, even if they just showed who was communicating
    with who, are a *DETRIMENT* to their warped cause?

    Spence ol' bean, you truly are that useful idiot. So eager to serve,
    you'll go as far as posting contrary evidence to prop up your handler's
    failing agenda.

    Good doggy!

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Feb 21, 2006