Re: Freezes when installing and burning

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Chris Fonville, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Fonville" <> wrote in message
    > > I just built a computer and I'm having problems when I'm installing

    large
    > > games (two examples are Worms 3D and Star Wars: KOTOR). I eventually

    got
    > > Worms 3D installed and I kept getting further and further with KOTOR but
    > > when it would ask for the 4th disk it would freeze. This also happens

    > when
    > > I am burning any kind of CD, music or data. Sometimes it will work,

    other
    > > times it will freeze and ruin the disk. I've used both Nero and

    > burnatonce.
    > > Here are the specs:
    > > I'm running Windows XP with SP1, a Mach Speed N2PAP-Lite motherboard,

    > Athon
    > > XP 2500+, 2 sticks of 256MB DDR-RAM (one being PC2700 and the other

    > PC3200,
    > > but they are running at PC2700 speed). I'm running 2 hard drives, but

    the
    > > main one is a Seagate 40 gig 7200rpm. The CD burner has never given me
    > > problems before in the old computer, so I don't think it's that. When I

    > say
    > > it freezes I mean that the mouse stops moving, the hard drive activity

    > light
    > > stays solid and there's no way I can Ctrl+Alt+Del. I've let it sit and
    > > wait, but that doesn't help, it's pretty well frozen.
    > > I have my case open and the CPU isn't very hot (40 C for CPU, 30 C for
    > > system). But could it be too little thermal compound? There was some

    on
    > > the bottom of the fan, and I didn't use anymore than that, I just put

    the
    > > fan on. Could it be the RAM? I have ran tests on the RAM and it didn't
    > > find any errors. Or even the hard drive? What would be the most

    probable
    > > problem or what should I do? Thanks in advance for your help,
    > > Chris

    > Try updating the IDE controller drivers, if possible. Also try setting the
    > CD burner to run in PIO mode if it isn't already. If it is in PIO mode,

    then
    > try setting it for DMA mode if it will support it.

    I tried both of those things and it's now working like it should. I'm not
    sure which one or if the combination of them both did it, but it's fixed.
    I'm sorry it took awhile to get back, I kinda forgot about the post. But
    now if anyone else has this problem then maybe it will help. Thanks for
    your help,
    Chris
    Chris Fonville, Apr 5, 2004