Re: FreeView problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by brian, Mar 31, 2013.

  1. brian

    brian Guest

    On 31/03/13 5:49 PM, Robin Halligan wrote:
    > Just looking to see if anyone has seen this or has this I live in Stokes
    > Valley and we have Freeview (satellite) We seem to lose signal every day
    > at around 2:25 pm watching telly it seems to freeze up and then we lose
    > audio/video for about 10 to 15 mins then it all seems to clear up
    > and all is as it should be.
    >
    > Robin Halligan

    There are two likely causes. One is that the sun is directly in line
    with the satellite and causes interference. According to Sky, this can
    happen in spring and autumn for about 15 minutes per day over a period
    of about 2 weeks. The other is that the sun's rays get focussed on the
    LNB (the receiving unit). This heats up and the frequency drifts. When
    the sun has moved on, the LNB cools down and the signal returns. This
    outage can last longer - 2 or 3 hours. Top quality LNBs have a
    phase-locked loop to prevent the frequency drift, but typical domestic
    installations use cheaper ones. It's happened to me more than once, and
    Sky have replaced the LNB each time.

    --brian

    --
    Wellington, New Zealand