    There is currently very little choice in the decoders for the HDTV
    terrestrial service. A Zinwell 620 and there are 2 others that I know of one
    from Satmax in CHCH and the one from Satlinknz.

    Threads about them are running over at www.dtvforum.co.nz

    as for the Antenna that depends on loation and which transmitter you are
    useing but for most a wideband UHF antenna will do the job. Some have found
    other parts of their antenna system need upgrading such as old saddle type
    splitters and wallplates.
    Craig Sutton, Apr 13, 2008

  2. Craig Sutton

    SlowLearner Guest

    Slightly OT but freeview related:

    I have been thinking about taking an old box and making it in to a
    MythTV PVR and have gotten a little confused about freeview.

    As far as I can tell, living in Wellington means I can get Freeview
    using any UHF ariel. Does this mean I can just use my exising 'rabbit-
    ears' or will I need to get an external ariel installed?

    Also, I assume that as far as TV cards go I'd need a DVB-T card? I
    also assume that a DVB-S card is useless to me unless I have a dish or
    are the transmissions much the same once they get picked up and either
    card will do?

    I have tried researching various mythtv and pvr websites which seem to
    have great instructions about the box end but the "getting it to the
    box" is still a bit of a mystery. The freeview website has a lot of
    information but I couldn't see a clear answer to what I wanted to
    know.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    SlowLearner, Apr 13, 2008