Re: Freeloaders on wireless network & internet connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. "The Wheel Man" <trucker@trucker> wrote in message
    > In my home office, I've got a Linksys WRT545GS wireless router, v. 1,
    > with firmware 4.71.1 set to WPA AES security with a very strong and
    > long passphrase (I know, should use WPA2 but some of my wireless
    > devices can't
    > handle that). The SSID is changed and not broadcasting and MAC filter
    > enabled.
    >
    > Can I tell if an outsider is using my wireless network and internet
    > connection-- or is trying/ has tried to?

    If you go into your router's configuration (usually by just pointing a
    browser to the router's address), most come with software that, among
    other things, lets you see who is currently connected. Since most also
    provide an IP address through their function as a DCHP server, looking
    at that list can provide useful information as well, depending on how
    long a lease time you have setup. I set mine up to be as long as
    possible, which means anyone who connected to my network and got an
    address should be visible in that table.

    Hope that helps.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 10, 2008