Re: Free web hosting options?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mayayana, Mar 18, 2013.

  1. Mayayana

    Mayayana Guest

    You can get a domain name pretty cheap if you look
    around. Free hosting is going to be iffy, no matter
    who it is. I've heard Dreamhost recommended for
    cheap hosting, but to my mind that just makes no sense.
    I'm currently paying $9/month to futurequest.net for
    real hosting. I'm very happy with them. It seems to be
    a sort of family operated business. They don't take phone
    calls but are quick to respond to emails.

    So I'm paying the equivalent of 2 Starbucks kiddie coffees
    for full service, instead of paying one regular coffee for
    half-baked service with no real tech. support. If you can't
    afford $10+-/month for a business then something is wrong.

    If you look around for deals I think you'll find there are
    two comon patterns: 1) There are professional hosting
    sites that charge prices so high that I just can't imagine
    who uses them or why the price is worth it. 2) At the other
    extreme are the free->$3 operations that give you unlimited
    everything but the fine print says you can't put much of
    anything but plain webpages on the server, can't offer
    binary downloads, etc. In other words, the cheapo operations
    survive by hosting people who don't understand what they're
    doing, put up a page or two, and then forget about it, never
    having any traffic to speak of.

    In the middle are deals like Futurequest -- An honest deal.
    They won't make false claims that you get 1,000 email
    addresses and 100 TB of traffic. You get what you pay for.
    You'll have to pay more if you need extreme traffic allowance.
    But chances are you won't have to worry about that. I get
    300-400 visitors/day and don't come anywhere near my
    traffic limit. Storage limits are similarly generous.

    In addition to Futurequest, I've done a site for a friend
    using iPower and they seemed fine. That's another one that
    costs in the $10 range for a basic site.

    If you really can't afford $10 month and want to set up
    something then Dreamhost might be worth a try.

    Mayayana, Mar 18, 2013