Re: Free Speech - any good

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Mar 13, 2014.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:25:51 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    wrote:

    >Most reviews I can find on VOIP services seem to be rather old and out
    >of date in terms of features.
    >
    >I have come across Free Speech that seem to have a lot of features
    >already included in their bundles.
    >
    >Initially I would need to be able to forward calls onto a mobile, and I
    >see that would included in their bundled minutes.
    >
    >It also seems to be friendly towards future expansion of lines and numbers.
    >
    >Is there any reason why I can't go down this route?

    It seems to be pretty lack lustre service to me, compared to (say)
    Sipgate.co.uk

    Can you explain more about what you want to achieve?

    IIUI you initially want people to call your mobile on a geographic
    number?

    For that I use a combonation of ukddi.com (for the free number(s)) and
    voipcheap.co.uk (for the outgoing leg)
    it's pure PAYG and you costs about 2p/min to call mobiles and costs
    your callers standard geo rate or, of course bundled minutes.

    Graham., Mar 13, 2014

  2. Graham.

    Woody Guest

    "Mike Perkins" <> wrote in message
    > On 13/03/2014 18:46, Graham. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:25:51 +0000, Mike Perkins
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most reviews I can find on VOIP services seem to be
    >>> rather old and out
    >>> of date in terms of features.
    >>>
    >>> I have come across Free Speech that seem to have a lot
    >>> of features
    >>> already included in their bundles.
    >>>
    >>> Initially I would need to be able to forward calls onto
    >>> a mobile, and I
    >>> see that would included in their bundled minutes.
    >>>
    >>> It also seems to be friendly towards future expansion of
    >>> lines and numbers.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any reason why I can't go down this route?

    >> It seems to be pretty lack lustre service to me, compared
    >> to (say)
    >> Sipgate.co.uk
    >>
    >> Can you explain more about what you want to achieve?
    >>
    >> IIUI you initially want people to call your mobile on a
    >> geographic
    >> number?
    >>
    >> For that I use a combonation of ukddi.com (for the free
    >> number(s)) and
    >> voipcheap.co.uk (for the outgoing leg)
    >> it's pure PAYG and you costs about 2p/min to call mobiles
    >> and costs
    >> your callers standard geo rate or, of course bundled
    >> minutes.

    > You say 2p/min to call mobiles, but the website isn't very
    > clear.
    >
    > United Kingdom (main) (Mobile) £ 0.020
    > United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120
    >
    > They differentiate between providers and it's not clear
    > what "main" or "others" are.
    >
    > Furthermore I can't see any means of obtaining help to
    > clarify this charge. If I click on customer service, I get
    > their help menu, which doesn't.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Perkins
    > Video Solutions Ltd
    > www.videosolutions.ltd.uk

    Er, e-mail ?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Mar 13, 2014

  3. On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 21:04:35 +0000, Mike Perkins <> wrote:

    > On 13/03/2014 18:46, Graham. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:25:51 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most reviews I can find on VOIP services seem to be rather old and out
    >>> of date in terms of features.
    >>>
    >>> I have come across Free Speech that seem to have a lot of features
    >>> already included in their bundles.
    >>>
    >>> Initially I would need to be able to forward calls onto a mobile, and I
    >>> see that would included in their bundled minutes.
    >>>
    >>> It also seems to be friendly towards future expansion of lines and numbers.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any reason why I can't go down this route?

    >> It seems to be pretty lack lustre service to me, compared to (say)
    >> Sipgate.co.uk
    >>
    >> Can you explain more about what you want to achieve?
    >>
    >> IIUI you initially want people to call your mobile on a geographic
    >> number?
    >>
    >> For that I use a combonation of ukddi.com (for the free number(s)) and
    >> voipcheap.co.uk (for the outgoing leg)
    >> it's pure PAYG and you costs about 2p/min to call mobiles and costs
    >> your callers standard geo rate or, of course bundled minutes.

    > You say 2p/min to call mobiles, but the website isn't very clear.
    >
    > United Kingdom (main) (Mobile) £ 0.020
    > United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120
    >
    > They differentiate between providers and it's not clear what "main" or
    > "others" are.
    >
    > Furthermore I can't see any means of obtaining help to clarify this
    > charge. If I click on customer service, I get their help menu, which
    > doesn't.

    I was surprised to find how cheap calls have become to UK Mobile numbers
    from Sipgate and Localphone. I will be interested to learn what are those
    "other" or non-main Mobile numbers that still attract the higher 12p/min
    rate, if you anyone finds that information.

    Anthony R. Gold, Mar 14, 2014
  4. Graham.

    Woody Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 21:04:35 +0000, Mike Perkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 13/03/2014 18:46, Graham. wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:25:51 +0000, Mike Perkins
    >>> <>

    >>> It seems to be pretty lack lustre service to me,
    >>> compared to (say)
    >>> Sipgate.co.uk
    >>>
    >>> Can you explain more about what you want to achieve?
    >>>
    >>> IIUI you initially want people to call your mobile on a
    >>> geographic
    >>> number?
    >>>
    >>> For that I use a combonation of ukddi.com (for the free
    >>> number(s)) and
    >>> voipcheap.co.uk (for the outgoing leg)
    >>> it's pure PAYG and you costs about 2p/min to call
    >>> mobiles and costs
    >>> your callers standard geo rate or, of course bundled
    >>> minutes.

    >> You say 2p/min to call mobiles, but the website isn't
    >> very clear.
    >>
    >> United Kingdom (main) (Mobile) £ 0.020
    >> United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120
    >>
    >> They differentiate between providers and it's not clear
    >> what "main" or
    >> "others" are.
    >>
    >> Furthermore I can't see any means of obtaining help to
    >> clarify this
    >> charge. If I click on customer service, I get their help
    >> menu, which
    >> doesn't.

    > I was surprised to find how cheap calls have become to UK
    > Mobile numbers
    > from Sipgate and Localphone. I will be interested to learn
    > what are those
    > "other" or non-main Mobile numbers that still attract the
    > higher 12p/min
    > rate, if you anyone finds that information.

    Interesting that Sipgate charge 9.9p/min for UK mobiles, but
    after the (15p?) connection fee BT only charge 6p.

    Woody, Mar 14, 2014
  5. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:37:09 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    wrote:

    >On 14/03/2014 17:22, Don wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Mike Perkins <> typed:

    >>> Many thanks, that was well hidden.
    >>>
    >>> How long did it take for you to get a reply?

    >> I don't know when I first made contact on the web site, but I got an
    >> automated reply on 17/2 saying "Unfortunately we were not able to reply
    >> within two working days. A member of our Support Team will respond shortly
    >> to your query ". The substantive, and helpful, reply arrived on 10/3.

    >Ouch - 3 weeks!

    Just to clarify, the 2p/min reference I made wasn't about Sipgate, it
    pertained to voipcheap.co.uk, and as to your query about

    "United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120"

    I don't know what that means either, all I can tell you is I have been
    using that service as my sole outgoing provider for a few years, and
    haven't ever been charged that rate for calling a UK mobile.

    Graham., Mar 14, 2014
  6. On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:02:45 +0000, Mike Perkins <> wrote:

    > On 14/03/2014 19:57, Graham. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:37:09 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Ouch - 3 weeks!

    >> Just to clarify, the 2p/min reference I made wasn't about Sipgate, it
    >> pertained to voipcheap.co.uk, and as to your query about
    >>
    >> "United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120"
    >>
    >> I don't know what that means either, all I can tell you is I have been
    >> using that service as my sole outgoing provider for a few years, and
    >> haven't ever been charged that rate for calling a UK mobile.

    > I registered and found a webmessage page.
    >
    > A few hours after asking the question regarding "main" and "others" I
    > got a substantive reply for a list of numbers are included in "other".
    >
    > In the main these seemed to be non traditional mobile company numbers
    > run/owned by more esoteric companies, some of which I didn't recognise!
    >
    > The only issue is that any number can be ported to another providers to
    > complicate issues!
    >
    > 2ppm is an impressive price for mobiles, and not too bad a response to
    > get a reply either.

    Localphone shows calls to all UK mobiles (with no exclusions for exotic
    network numbers) as 1.5/1.8 ppm exVAT/incVAT or 0.023 USD per min.

    http://www.localphone.com/prices

    Can anyone suggest a test number that looks like it comes from one of those
    exotic networks and could be posed to their rate calculator for pricing?

    Anthony R. Gold, Mar 16, 2014
  7. In message <>, Anthony R. Gold
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:02:45 +0000, Mike Perkins <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14/03/2014 19:57, Graham. wrote:

    >>> Just to clarify, the 2p/min reference I made wasn't about Sipgate, it
    >>> pertained to voipcheap.co.uk, and as to your query about
    >>>
    >>> "United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120"
    >>>
    >>> I don't know what that means either, all I can tell you is I have been
    >>> using that service as my sole outgoing provider for a few years, and
    >>> haven't ever been charged that rate for calling a UK mobile.

    >> I registered and found a webmessage page.
    >>
    >> A few hours after asking the question regarding "main" and "others" I
    >> got a substantive reply for a list of numbers are included in "other".
    >>
    >> In the main these seemed to be non traditional mobile company numbers
    >> run/owned by more esoteric companies, some of which I didn't recognise!
    >>
    >> The only issue is that any number can be ported to another providers to
    >> complicate issues!
    >>
    >> 2ppm is an impressive price for mobiles, and not too bad a response to
    >> get a reply either.

    >Localphone shows calls to all UK mobiles (with no exclusions for exotic
    >network numbers) as 1.5/1.8 ppm exVAT/incVAT or 0.023 USD per min.
    >
    >http://www.localphone.com/prices

    I don't think you read the small print "Landline rates include numbers
    starting 441, 442, and 443, and mobile calls include calls to Vodaphone,
    O2, T-Mobile, Orange, and Three networks. For landlines starting 445,
    4470, 448, and 449, or mobiles networks other than those listed above
    please click here to find the rate per call".

    The phrase "mobiles networks other than those listed above" would seem
    to be an exclusion of the exotic.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Mar 17, 2014
  8. Graham.

    Roger Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:38:55 -0400, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    >Localphone shows calls to all UK mobiles (with no exclusions for exotic
    >network numbers) as 1.5/1.8 ppm exVAT/incVAT or 0.023 USD per min.
    >
    >http://www.localphone.com/prices
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a test number that looks like it comes from one of those
    >exotic networks and could be posed to their rate calculator for pricing?

    Lycamobile normally charge 10p/min to UK mobiles but 29p/min to
    certain prefixes. Perhaps their PDF will give you some ideas:

    http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/sysimages/editorfiles/PDF/UK special mobile rates.pdf
    --
    Roger

    Roger, Mar 17, 2014
  9. On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:38:35 +0000, Malcolm Loades <>
    wrote:

    > In message <>, Anthony R. Gold
    > <> writes

    >>> I registered and found a webmessage page.
    >>>
    >>> A few hours after asking the question regarding "main" and "others" I
    >>> got a substantive reply for a list of numbers are included in "other".
    >>>
    >>> In the main these seemed to be non traditional mobile company numbers
    >>> run/owned by more esoteric companies, some of which I didn't recognise!
    >>>
    >>> The only issue is that any number can be ported to another providers to
    >>> complicate issues!
    >>>
    >>> 2ppm is an impressive price for mobiles, and not too bad a response to
    >>> get a reply either.

    >> Localphone shows calls to all UK mobiles (with no exclusions for exotic
    >> network numbers) as 1.5/1.8 ppm exVAT/incVAT or 0.023 USD per min.
    >>
    >> http://www.localphone.com/prices
    >>

    > I don't think you read the small print "Landline rates include numbers
    > starting 441, 442, and 443, and mobile calls include calls to Vodaphone,
    > O2, T-Mobile, Orange, and Three networks. For landlines starting 445,
    > 4470, 448, and 449, or mobiles networks other than those listed above
    > please click here to find the rate per call".
    >
    > The phrase "mobiles networks other than those listed above" would seem
    > to be an exclusion of the exotic.

    Thanks and indeed I did miss that small print.

    Anthony R. Gold, Mar 17, 2014
  10. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    wrote:

    >On 14/03/2014 19:57, Graham. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:37:09 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Ouch - 3 weeks!

    >> Just to clarify, the 2p/min reference I made wasn't about Sipgate, it
    >> pertained to voipcheap.co.uk, and as to your query about
    >>
    >> "United Kingdom (others) (Mobile) £ 0.120"
    >>
    >> I don't know what that means either, all I can tell you is I have been
    >> using that service as my sole outgoing provider for a few years, and
    >> haven't ever been charged that rate for calling a UK mobile.

    >I registered and found a webmessage page.
    >
    >A few hours after asking the question regarding "main" and "others" I
    >got a substantive reply for a list of numbers are included in "other".
    >
    >In the main these seemed to be non traditional mobile company numbers
    >run/owned by more esoteric companies, some of which I didn't recognise!
    >
    >The only issue is that any number can be ported to another providers to
    >complicate issues!
    >
    >2ppm is an impressive price for mobiles, and not too bad a response to
    >get a reply either.

    If you are impressed enough to credit the account, you can, if you
    wish, do the same thing that I have set up for my son-in-law's
    bushiness, which is pretty much what you are asking for.

    If you get a block of ten numbers from ukddi.com (totally free), you
    can point one or more of them to the voipcheap account which in turn
    is forwarded to your mobile.

    This works very well for my son-in-law. He has additionally a USA
    number that rings his mobile using the same mechanism.

    Just ask if you need further help.

    Graham., Mar 18, 2014
  11. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    Yes I know. Bushiness :)

    Graham., Mar 18, 2014
  12. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:54:09 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    wrote:

    >On 18/03/2014 00:20, Graham. wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:02:45 +0000, Mike Perkins <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I registered and found a webmessage page.
    >>>
    >>> A few hours after asking the question regarding "main" and "others" I
    >>> got a substantive reply for a list of numbers are included in "other".
    >>>
    >>> In the main these seemed to be non traditional mobile company numbers
    >>> run/owned by more esoteric companies, some of which I didn't recognise!
    >>>
    >>> The only issue is that any number can be ported to another providers to
    >>> complicate issues!
    >>>
    >>> 2ppm is an impressive price for mobiles, and not too bad a response to
    >>> get a reply either.

    >> If you are impressed enough to credit the account, you can, if you
    >> wish, do the same thing that I have set up for my son-in-law's
    >> bushiness, which is pretty much what you are asking for.
    >>
    >> If you get a block of ten numbers from ukddi.com (totally free), you
    >> can point one or more of them to the voipcheap account which in turn
    >> is forwarded to your mobile.

    >Many thanks.
    >
    >Its unfortunate that the block isn't a contiguous block.
    >
    >I was hoping to get the 10 numbers in a series, such that for future
    >expansion I could assign direct dials in addition to the main number.

    Was it a London 020 ddi block you were after? I know ukddi stopped
    issuing contiguous blocks in that range but most, if not all, other
    STD codes are availible in blocks.

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Mar 21, 2014
  13. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    Hi Mike, I have just sent you an email via your web form.

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Mar 22, 2014
  14. Graham.

    DavidD Guest

    That's why it's cheap.

    DavidD, Mar 25, 2014
  15. Graham.

    DavidD Guest

    <> wrote:
    > In message <>, Anthony R.

    Gold

    wrote:

    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayMailForm and had

    got an

    able to reply

    respond shortly

    on 10/3.

    Sipgate, it

    have been

    years, and

    > >> I registered and found a webmessage page.
    > >>
    > >> A few hours after asking the question regarding "main" and

    "others" I
    > >> got a substantive reply for a list of numbers are included in

    "other".

    > >> In the main these seemed to be non traditional mobile company

    numbers
    > >> run/owned by more esoteric companies, some of which I didn't

    recognise!

    > >> The only issue is that any number can be ported to another

    providers to
    > >> complicate issues!
    > >>
    > >> 2ppm is an impressive price for mobiles, and not too bad a

    response to
    > >> get a reply either.

    > >Localphone shows calls to all UK mobiles (with no exclusions for

    exotic
    > >network numbers) as 1.5/1.8 ppm exVAT/incVAT or 0.023 USD per min.
    > >
    > >http://www.localphone.com/prices
    > >

    > I don't think you read the small print "Landline rates include

    numbers
    > starting 441, 442, and 443, and mobile calls include calls to

    Vodaphone,
    > O2, T-Mobile, Orange, and Three networks. For landlines starting

    445,
    > 4470, 448, and 449, or mobiles networks other than those listed

    above
    > please click here to find the rate per call".

    > The phrase "mobiles networks other than those listed above" would

    seem
    > to be an exclusion of the exotic.

    > Malcolm

    With porting it's impossible to tell what network a number is on and
    they will bill according to the network to which the number was
    originally allocated.

    DavidD, Mar 25, 2014