Re: Free news server?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nick Thomas, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Nick Thomas

    Nick Thomas Guest

    Phillip Weston wrote:
    > Hi, is there any free usenet server to use seeing as QSI's usenet
    > server is really pissing me off? I don't need binaries etc.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Phil

    How about news.readfreenews.net

    34237 groups with good complettion - occasionally flaky to connect to.

    Nick Thomas, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Nick Thomas

    Otako Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 at 11:02 GMT, Nick wrote:

    > Phillip Weston wrote:
    >> Hi, is there any free usenet server to use seeing as QSI's usenet
    >> server is really pissing me off? I don't need binaries etc.

    > How about news.readfreenews.net
    >
    > 34237 groups with good complettion - occasionally flaky to connect to.

    Phil,

    I have found that selecting a free news server from the Path: header
    field of a frequent poster to a group is probably easier than
    trying recommended free news servers from a webpage.

    Try finding message from a frequent poster to the group from the
    quicksilvers news server first, that way you will get the full Path:
    field displayed in your newsreader.

    Unfortunately using http://www.google.co.nz/groups will only display
    the Reference: field which is not as complete as the Path:

    Try finding a free newsserver url from the Path:, news server
    names are followed by a !.

    For example

    the domainname newsfeed.freenet.de news server address is news.freenet.de
    A google search may be useful for finding a news servers address but in this
    case I managed to find it by just by entering the name into my news reader
    and downloading the groups. If the name dosn't exist you will just get a
    "permission denied" response.

    use alt.test to verify that a server will accept posting.

    hth,
    keith.

    Otako, Sep 22, 2003