Re: Free 24 at Best Buy

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lucas Tam, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Adam F <borg1238{no$sspam!}@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Am I the only one who thinks this is really clever marketing ploy? I
    > mean, I hate marketers, but I'm really impressed with the idea of
    > giving people two full episodes for FREE. An especially good idea
    > with 24... hoping it will suck some people in who haven't seen it
    > before.

    Yup... great Idea. I've always wondered what 24 was ... never watched it on
    TV before.

    Anyways, the episodes turned out to be pretty good, now I'm contemplating
    buying the season sets!

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Oct 18, 2003

  2. I'm surprised that "24" is as successful as it is.

    A few years ago some major player (NBC, CBS or somebody) decided
    that they'd put on a show that worked a single plot line for the whole
    season. Personally, I got sick of that real quick. I kinda put "24"
    in the same category......which is why I don't watch it.

    Maybe I should???

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Lucas Tam

    yachtboy! Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:16:07 GMT, "Adrian S. Kuiper"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm surprised that "24" is as successful as it is.
    >
    > A few years ago some major player (NBC, CBS or somebody) decided
    > that they'd put on a show that worked a single plot line for the whole
    > season. Personally, I got sick of that real quick. I kinda put "24"
    > in the same category......which is why I don't watch it.
    >
    > Maybe I should???
    >
    > Adrian

    It is well worth seeing. The plot twists are a real hoot, but you will be
    kept on edge.
    At the very least, rent it.
    (but start with season 1, it sets up the beginning of season 2)

    ==========
    "Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
    guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
    salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

    "Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
    ----------
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

    "He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan

    =======================
    yachtboy!, Oct 19, 2003
  4. yachtboy! <> wrote:
    > "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote:

    [single plotline for an entire season]
    > > I kinda put "24" in the same category......which is why I don't watch it.
    > > Maybe I should???

    > It is well worth seeing. The plot twists are a real hoot, but you will be
    > kept on edge....At the very least, rent it.

    I agree that renting before buying is a good idea with this show: it's
    not for everyone. But here's a useful tip: if you make it past about
    3:55pm in Season One without hurling the DVD set across the room in
    irritation, you're golden. :)

    (For the record, I *did* watch past that point, but only after hurling
    the set across the room. And I won't be picking up Season Two or
    watching Season Three: I got off the merry-go-round after going around
    once, and I think I'm gonna stay off it.)

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
    Douglas Bailey, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Lucas Tam

    jayembee Guest

    "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote:

    >I'm surprised that "24" is as successful as it is.

    I'm not. The pacing is such that it's hard to stop watching once you
    start, and with virtually every episode ending on a cliffhanger,
    there's impetus to stick with it.

    >A few years ago some major player (NBC, CBS or somebody) decided
    >that they'd put on a show that worked a single plot line for the whole
    >season. Personally, I got sick of that real quick. I kinda put "24"
    >in the same category......which is why I don't watch it.

    You're likely thinking of ABC's MURDER ONE, from the early to mid-90s,
    in which the entire first season was one storyline. It wasn't
    successful, because audiences were too impatient to wait a whole
    season for the payoff. We've become a cultural of instant
    gratification and short attention spans. That's why shows that eschew
    long arcs, like LAW & ORDER and CSI do so well.

    Personally, I don't understand that. I love a story that takes its
    time in the telling.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Oct 19, 2003
  6. All,

    I've NEVER watched the show on TV, but had heard a lot - all good about it.
    I purchased the DVD set when it came out. Had interest in watching, but just
    didn't have the time. When we got hit with the blizzard earlier this year,
    we watched the entire series within maybe 2 weeks. To me, that's the best
    way to get REALLY into it.

    David

    David Landsman, Oct 20, 2003