Re: Four years ago...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob J, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, Mrs Sluttish
    says...
    > --
    > Four years ago, Bill Gates dispatched a companywide e-mail promising that
    > security and privacy would be Microsoft's top priorities. Gates urged that new
    > design approaches must "dramatically reduce" the number of security-related
    > issues as well as make fixes easier to administer.

    Windows XP is four years old. A lot of the faults are being found in
    Windows XP components that have been around even longer than that.

    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006

  2. On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:03:31 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > Windows XP is four years old. A lot of the faults are being found in
    > Windows XP components that have been around even longer than that.

    Are you suggesting that Micro$oft takes many many years upon years to
    audit its own code?

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    A year after Bill Gates' company wide email on security, Windows was hit
    with several nasty worms including Slammer, Sobig, and Blaster. The viruses

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Rob J

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Undeniably Sluttish,

    >> Windows XP is four years old. A lot of the faults are being found in
    >> Windows XP components that have been around even longer than that.
    >>

    > Are you suggesting that Micro$oft takes many many years upon years to
    > audit its own code?

    would that be a problem ?

    and what exactly would 'auditing' do ?

    if code *looks safe* - even if a tool uses supa-dupa-complex algorythams
    to decide if its safe is it still safe ?

    your forgetting the 'nerd factor', nerds will spend immesurable amounts of
    time trying to break something if they decide to - just for the hell of it.
    and no amount of auditing will fix it.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Rob J

    brianM Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:03:31 +1000, Rob J wrote:

    > In article <>, Mrs Sluttish
    > says...
    >> --
    >> Four years ago, Bill Gates dispatched a companywide e-mail promising
    >> that security and privacy would be Microsoft's top priorities. Gates
    >> urged that new design approaches must "dramatically reduce" the number
    >> of security-related issues as well as make fixes easier to administer.

    > Windows XP is four years old. A lot of the faults are being found in
    > Windows XP components that have been around even longer than that.

    Iirc wasn't that called "Trustworthy Computing". ?
    I remember doing a satire on it back in 2002 , Using a Black Caps cricketing
    theme.
    cheers
    BrianM

    brianM, Jan 16, 2006