Re: Format a 20G HDD, One Partition, With Small Size Clusters

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, Jun 2, 2008.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks to everyone who replied.

    I decided to partition the HDD into two 10G partitions which resulted in
    8K clusters after each partition was formatted. The second partition is
    logical drive "D:".

    Brad

    Brad, Jun 2, 2008

  2. Brad

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jun 2, 3:54 pm, (Brad) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks to everyone who replied.
    >
    > I decided to partition the HDD into two 10G partitions which resulted in
    > 8K clusters after each partition was formatted. The second partition is
    > logical drive "D:".
    >
    > Brad
    >
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 11:35:26 GMT, Brad wrote:
    > >Hi,

    > > I installed a 20G HDD in my Windows 98se computer. With one partition,
    > >I formatted it. The results is 16K byte clusters. With a FAT32 system,
    > >a 32 bit number ("index") can represent around 4.3G. This in effect should
    > >allow around 4 billion clusters maximum.

    > > The major reason for a smaller cluster size is to reduce waste of disk
    > >space. Example, if you wrote a 1K byte file to the HDD, the free space will
    > >be reduced by 16K (15K wasted).

    > > How can I format this 20G HDD in such a way to produce smaller clusters
    > >without adding partitions?

    > > Thanks in advance, Brad

    > > Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    > > be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

    You will get less that 10gb per partition, Brad. :)

    sandy58, Jun 2, 2008

  3. Brad

    Baron Guest

    Brad Inscribed thus:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 11:35:26 GMT, Brad wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed a 20G HDD in my Windows 98se computer. With one
    >> partition,
    >>I formatted it. The results is 16K byte clusters. With a FAT32
    >>system,

    >> How can I format this 20G HDD in such a way to produce smaller
    >> clusters
    >>without adding partitions?

    If I remember correctly one of the DOS 6.22 or open DOS switches was
    cluster size. I seem to remember making 4k clusters on a 20Gb disk.
    I don't have a machine that I can check with unfortunately.

    HTH.

    --
    Best Reagrds:
    Baron.