Re: foreign language accent marks

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2010.

  1. Jud Hendrix

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:10:45 -0400, Jeff Zeitlin
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:13:49 +0100, Dominic Payer <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
    >>remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
    >>in the fonts you use.
    >>
    >>The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
    >>keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.

    >This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
    >laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
    >like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
    >the Alt-numeric codes.

    There are more ways to get accents and things. I use Vista, and this works on
    Seven as well (and I think on XP too). I my language set to English and the
    keyboard US International. No need for fingerbreaking keypad combinations ;-)

    To enable accents, I press Left Shift + Left Ctrl (press them both to switch
    on the feature and then let go).
    Now if I type " followed by e, I get ë.

    To disable, I press Left Shift + Left Ctrl.
    Now if I type " followed by e, I get "e

    I found this by accident as I was messing around with the keycombinations
    while using the Japanese IME. I noticed my accents were gone, but then thought
    that I had been pushing a bunch of keycombinations on the bottom left of my
    keyboard, and then pushed and pushed till I found them. Maybe an online search
    would have helped me find the answer straight away, but you know, men don't
    like to read manuals ;-)

    Hope this helps

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 13, 2010

  2. Jud Hendrix

    Jeff Zeitlin Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:18:25 +0100, Jud Hendrix <> wrote:

    >There are more ways to get accents and things. I use Vista, and this works on
    >Seven as well (and I think on XP too). I my language set to English and the
    >keyboard US International. No need for fingerbreaking keypad combinations ;-)

    Yes, I noted this in an earlier post; I've been using this method on my
    own computers since Windows98SE. Much simpler to deal with; the only
    time I have problems is when I need to find a less-common accent mark,
    such as the Hungarian double-acute accent, for which I use the Character
    Map.
    Jeff Zeitlin, Jun 13, 2010