Re: Food - late seating

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Jun 18, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jun 11, 4:20 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/food
    >
    > More to follow: - Tony Cooper
    >                  - Bowser (later this week, he says).
    >
    > So hold off the comments for a few days...
    >
    > --
    > The Committee
    > Notice: New e-meil address for shootin submissions is
    >           shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com
    > and will be effective for the "Pairs, triplets ..." round.
    >
    > (re-posted after finger goof...)

    Sent two more Food pics, to go with the other one.
    FOOD_Otter_2: Nut-crusted salmon, at Legal Seafood, Boston, Ma
    FOOD_Otter_3: Pepperoni, mushroom, and garlic-spinach pizza, at
    Lombardi's, New York City

    If you can add these to the gallery, great. Otherwise, I will post a
    link in a few days.

    I need to go work out now.
    otter, Jun 18, 2012

  2. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:02:44 -0400, SI Committee
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-06-18 01:12 , otter wrote:
    >> On Jun 11, 4:20 pm, SI Committee <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/food
    >>>
    >>> More to follow: - Tony Cooper
    >>> - Bowser (later this week, he says).
    >>>
    >>> So hold off the comments for a few days...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> The Committee
    >>> Notice: New e-meil address for shootin submissions is
    >>> shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com
    >>> and will be effective for the "Pairs, triplets ..." round.
    >>>
    >>> (re-posted after finger goof...)

    >> Sent two more Food pics, to go with the other one.
    >> FOOD_Otter_2: Nut-crusted salmon, at Legal Seafood, Boston, Ma
    >> FOOD_Otter_3: Pepperoni, mushroom, and garlic-spinach pizza, at
    >> Lombardi's, New York City

    >Done.

    Since Otter is hungry for comments, I'll feed him a couple.

    The shot at Legal Seafood is off-putting to me. The fork is on the
    plate, but the man has some implement in use putting food in his
    mouth. Does he eat his peas with a spoon? Also, the food itself is
    not in focus. The sharpest focus is the man's shirtsleeve.

    At first, I thought the implement in use is a salad fork, but I don't
    remember Legal Seafood being to fancy as to furnish two forks. (I do
    remember some good food, though.) Also, the extra plate is too clean
    to be a salad plate.

    I like the Lombardi's photo, though. A close-up of a pizza is not an
    interesting shot, but a view like this has some interest. If that's
    your table, you're a real trencherman to order a whole pizza for
    yourself.

    As an aside, I'm not much of a drinker. Our annual liquor bill is
    minimal. Wine with dinner ocassionally...but I can't imagine pizza
    without a beer.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 18, 2012

  3. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/18/2012 1:12 AM, otter wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 4:20 pm, SI Committee<>
    > wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/food
    >>
    >> More to follow: - Tony Cooper
    >> - Bowser (later this week, he says).
    >>
    >> So hold off the comments for a few days...
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Committee
    >> Notice: New e-meil address for shootin submissions is
    >> shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com
    >> and will be effective for the "Pairs, triplets ..." round.
    >>
    >> (re-posted after finger goof...)

    > Sent two more Food pics, to go with the other one.
    > FOOD_Otter_2: Nut-crusted salmon, at Legal Seafood, Boston, Ma
    > FOOD_Otter_3: Pepperoni, mushroom, and garlic-spinach pizza, at
    > Lombardi's, New York City
    >
    > If you can add these to the gallery, great. Otherwise, I will post a
    > link in a few days.
    >
    > I need to go work out now.

    How didja like Lombardi's?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 19, 2012
  4. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >> wrote:
    : >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/food
    : >>>
    : >>> More to follow: - Tony Cooper
    : >>> - Bowser (later this week, he says).
    : >>>
    : >>> So hold off the comments for a few days...
    : >>>
    : >>> --
    : >>> The Committee
    : >>> Notice: New e-meil address for shootin submissions is
    : >>> shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com
    : >>> and will be effective for the "Pairs, triplets ..." round.
    : >>>
    : >>> (re-posted after finger goof...)
    : >>
    : >> Sent two more Food pics, to go with the other one.
    : >> FOOD_Otter_2: Nut-crusted salmon, at Legal Seafood, Boston, Ma
    : >> FOOD_Otter_3: Pepperoni, mushroom, and garlic-spinach pizza, at
    : >> Lombardi's, New York City
    : >
    : >Done.
    :
    : Since Otter is hungry for comments, I'll feed him a couple.
    :
    : The shot at Legal Seafood is off-putting to me. The fork is on the
    : plate, but the man has some implement in use putting food in his
    : mouth. Does he eat his peas with a spoon? Also, the food itself is
    : not in focus. The sharpest focus is the man's shirtsleeve.
    :
    : At first, I thought the implement in use is a salad fork, but I don't
    : remember Legal Seafood being to fancy as to furnish two forks. (I do
    : remember some good food, though.) Also, the extra plate is too clean
    : to be a salad plate.

    Time out!! The plate with the fork is Otter's plate! And we know why he's not
    feeding his face while the picture is being taken. The man on the left is
    sitting to Otter's left and using his own fork.

    : I like the Lombardi's photo, though. A close-up of a pizza is not an
    : interesting shot, but a view like this has some interest. If that's
    : your table, you're a real trencherman to order a whole pizza for
    : yourself.
    :
    : As an aside, I'm not much of a drinker. Our annual liquor bill is
    : minimal. Wine with dinner ocassionally...but I can't imagine pizza
    : without a beer.

    Iced tea has fewer calories.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 19, 2012
  5. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jun 18, 6:28 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 6/18/2012 1:12 AM, otter wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 11, 4:20 pm, SI Committee<>
    > > wrote:
    > >>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/food

    > >> More to follow: - Tony Cooper
    > >>                   - Bowser (later this week, he says).

    > >> So hold off the comments for a few days...

    > >> --
    > >> The Committee
    > >> Notice: New e-meil address for shootin submissions is
    > >>            shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com
    > >> and will be effective for the "Pairs, triplets ..." round.

    > >> (re-posted after finger goof...)

    > > Sent two more Food pics, to go with the other one.
    > > FOOD_Otter_2: Nut-crusted salmon, at Legal Seafood, Boston, Ma
    > > FOOD_Otter_3: Pepperoni, mushroom, and garlic-spinach pizza, at
    > > Lombardi's, New York City

    > > If you can add these to the gallery, great.  Otherwise, I will post a
    > > link in a few days.

    > > I need to go work out now.

    > How didja like Lombardi's?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Lombardi's is good, and has nice historical appeal, but a bit
    touristy. My favorite is still Regina Pizza in Boston North End.
    otter, Jun 19, 2012
  6. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jun 18, 6:44 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2012-06-18 14:50:37 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    > <<< Le Snip >>>
    >

    > > Since Otter is hungry for comments, I'll feed him a couple.

    > > The shot at Legal Seafood is off-putting to me.  The fork is on the
    > > plate, but the man has some implement in use putting food in his
    > > mouth.

    > The guy in the blue shirt needs to go. His presence on the left is
    > disturbing and overpowers the image.

    That was actually what I found interesting about the shot, although I
    wish I had gotten more of him. But I can see how others might react
    differently.
    otter, Jun 19, 2012
  7. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jun 18, 9:03 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > : As an aside, I'm not much of a drinker.  Our annual liquor bill is
    > : minimal.  Wine with dinner ocassionally...but I can't imagine pizza
    > : without a beer.
    >
    > Iced tea has fewer calories.

    Unfortunately, my doctor advised me to not drink alcohol due to
    interactions with my medication.
    I've found an excellent non-alcoholic beer called Clausthaler, but not
    everyone has it.
    otter, Jun 19, 2012
  8. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/18/2012 11:33 PM, otter wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 9:03 pm, Robert Coe<> wrote:
    >
    >> : As an aside, I'm not much of a drinker. Our annual liquor bill is
    >> : minimal. Wine with dinner ocassionally...but I can't imagine pizza
    >> : without a beer.
    >>
    >> Iced tea has fewer calories.

    > Unfortunately, my doctor advised me to not drink alcohol due to
    > interactions with my medication.
    > I've found an excellent non-alcoholic beer called Clausthaler, but not
    > everyone has it.

    About 20 years ago I had hepatitis A. I learned the heard way that so
    called non-alcoholic beers had some alcohol.

    From the Clausthler website: "
    Is Clausthaler completely alcohol-free?
    No, in spite of or because of, all our knowledge and all our technical
    proficiency, we know that a minimal quantity of alcohol must be produced
    to create a good tasting non-alcoholic malt beverage. The alcohol
    content of Clausthaler is 0.45 (or 0.30 for Clausthaler Golden Amber) %
    vol, which lies below the 0.5 % vol maximum alcohol content specified in
    the statutes as the definition of "non-alcoholic", "dealcoholized", or
    "alcohol-removed". In Great Britain, the term "alcohol-free" may only be
    used for products with not more than 0.05 % vol detectable alcohol
    content. "

    <http://us.clausthaler.com/cms/startordner/1376.html>

    --

    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 20, 2012
  9. otter

    PeterN Guest

    Touristy qas (Re: Food - late seating)

    On 6/18/2012 11:16 PM, otter wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 6:28 pm, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 6/18/2012 1:12 AM, otter wrote:

    >>> Sent two more Food pics, to go with the other one.
    >>> FOOD_Otter_2: Nut-crusted salmon, at Legal Seafood, Boston, Ma
    >>> FOOD_Otter_3: Pepperoni, mushroom, and garlic-spinach pizza, at
    >>> Lombardi's, New York City

    >>> If you can add these to the gallery, great. Otherwise, I will post a
    >>> link in a few days.

    >>> I need to go work out now.

    >> How didja like Lombardi's?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Lombardi's is good, and has nice historical appeal, but a bit
    > touristy. My favorite is still Regina Pizza in Boston North End.

    Haven't been there.
    We went to Seattle and tried the Space Needle restaurant. We figured it
    would be a tourist trap, but were pleasantly surprised to find the food
    and prices much better than expected.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 20, 2012
  10. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jun 19, 8:43 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 6/18/2012 11:33 PM, otter wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 18, 9:03 pm, Robert Coe<>  wrote:

    > >> : As an aside, I'm not much of a drinker.  Our annual liquor bill is
    > >> : minimal.  Wine with dinner ocassionally...but I can't imagine pizza
    > >> : without a beer.

    > >> Iced tea has fewer calories.

    > > Unfortunately, my doctor advised me to not drink alcohol due to
    > > interactions with my medication.
    > > I've found an excellent non-alcoholic beer called Clausthaler, but not
    > > everyone has it.

    > About 20 years ago I had hepatitis A. I learned the heard way that so
    > called non-alcoholic beers had some alcohol.
    >
    >  From the Clausthler website: "
    > Is Clausthaler completely alcohol-free?
    > No, in spite of or because of, all our knowledge and all our technical
    > proficiency, we know that a minimal quantity of alcohol must be produced
    > to create a good tasting non-alcoholic malt beverage. The alcohol
    > content of Clausthaler is 0.45 (or 0.30 for Clausthaler Golden Amber) %
    > vol, which lies below the 0.5 % vol maximum alcohol content specified in
    > the statutes as the definition of "non-alcoholic", "dealcoholized", or
    > "alcohol-removed". In Great Britain, the term "alcohol-free" may only be
    > used for products with not more than 0.05 % vol detectable alcohol
    > content. "
    >
    > <http://us.clausthaler.com/cms/startordner/1376.html>
    >
    > --
    >
    > Peter

    Yeah, I know, less than 0.5%. Close enough.
    otter, Jun 20, 2012
  11. otter

    otter Guest

    Re: Touristy qas (Re: Food - late seating)

    On Jun 19, 8:54 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 6/18/2012 11:16 PM, otter wrote:

    > >> How didja like Lombardi's?

    > >> --
    > >> Peter

    > > Lombardi's is good, and has nice historical appeal, but a bit
    > > touristy.   My favorite is still Regina Pizza in Boston North End.

    > Haven't been there.
    > We went to Seattle and tried the Space Needle restaurant. We figured it
    > would be a tourist trap, but were pleasantly surprised to find the food
    > and prices much better than expected.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Ah, yes the Space Needle. Having grown up in the Seattle area, I've
    been there a few times (many years ago). I remember the food was
    pretty good, but not inexpensive - but you have to expect to pay
    something for the view.

    To expand on Lombardi's, I did think the pizza was good. However,
    there is a coal-fired pizza place a few miles from my house in Texas
    that turns out a similar product. Lombardi's was not much better than
    that. I'd say they are pretty close to equivalent. By "touristy", I
    just mean there are a lot of obvious tourists (like me) flocking to
    the place, and there's adverts for T shirts at each table, etc. It's
    not the restaurant's fault that tourists go there, but I did get that
    vibe from the place.

    On the other hand, there's a much different vibe at Regina Pizza in
    Boston. It is much more like a local bar/hangout with great food.
    They use a gas oven, which is not as hot as coal, but the crust is
    great anyway. The key difference is the tastiness of the toppings.
    Simply the best pizza I've ever had, and that includes lots of pizza
    places in the San Francisco area I used to frequent when living
    there. An internet aquaintence recommended Regina to me a few years
    ago, and I am forever in his debt. This guy is quite a flaky net-
    kook, but he was spot-on about Regina.

    There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza. Some
    day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing. But so
    far, Regina is at the top of my list.
    otter, Jun 20, 2012
  12. otter

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5508747815/in/set-72157626223043676/lightbox/
    otter, Jun 20, 2012
  13. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Touristy qas (Re: Food - late seating)

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:41:19 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    >final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza. Some
    >day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing. But so
    >far, Regina is at the top of my list.

    I lived in Chicago and went to Uno's and Due's many, many times. I
    was never fond of the Chicago "deep dish" pizza and ordered, instead,
    thin crust pizza. (The franchise Uno's are a travesty)

    The "best" pizza is what you start out on. Mentally, that first good
    pizza is your taste bud's benchmark for good pizza the rest of your
    life. My first pizza was eaten at the Italian Gardens in Indianapolis
    (the restaurant is now long gone)...thin crust and not greasy on top.
    I've never found pizza as good as that again.

    People who say that water in dough (New Yorkers, mainly) makes the
    difference are only comparing other pizza to what they are used to. I
    never found New York pizza to be very good. Too greasy.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 20, 2012
  14. otter

    On Jun 20, 9:51 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:41:19 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    > >final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza.  Some
    > >day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing.  But so
    > >far, Regina is at the top of my list.

    > I lived in Chicago and went to Uno's and Due's many, many times.  I
    > was never fond of the Chicago "deep dish" pizza and ordered, instead,
    > thin crust pizza. (The franchise Uno's are a travesty)

    I've been to a few Uno's franchise locations in several cities, but
    not the original (which I take it is in Chicago?). I thought the
    pizza was pretty tasty, but I wouldn't put it in the outstanding
    category.
    otter, Jun 20, 2012
  15. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/20/2012 10:51 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:41:19 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    >> final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza. Some
    >> day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing. But so
    >> far, Regina is at the top of my list.

    > I lived in Chicago and went to Uno's and Due's many, many times. I
    > was never fond of the Chicago "deep dish" pizza and ordered, instead,
    > thin crust pizza. (The franchise Uno's are a travesty)
    >
    > The "best" pizza is what you start out on. Mentally, that first good
    > pizza is your taste bud's benchmark for good pizza the rest of your
    > life. My first pizza was eaten at the Italian Gardens in Indianapolis
    > (the restaurant is now long gone)...thin crust and not greasy on top.
    > I've never found pizza as good as that again.
    >
    > People who say that water in dough (New Yorkers, mainly) makes the
    > difference are only comparing other pizza to what they are used to. I
    > never found New York pizza to be very good. Too greasy.

    Depends on where you go. A good coal fire pizza, made with the proper
    toppings is hard to beat. Some chains are starting to use the concept,
    Anthony's comes to mind. However, to my taste putting a salad on a pizza
    is a travesty.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 20, 2012
  16. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/20/2012 10:47 AM, otter wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 9:41 am, otter<> wrote:

    >>> Haven't been there.
    >>> We went to Seattle and tried the Space Needle restaurant. We figured it
    >>> would be a tourist trap, but were pleasantly surprised to find the food
    >>> and prices much better than expected.

    >>> --
    >>> Peter

    >> Ah, yes the Space Needle. Having grown up in the Seattle area, I've
    >> been there a few times (many years ago). I remember the food was
    >> pretty good, but not inexpensive - but you have to expect to pay
    >> something for the view.
    >>
    >> To expand on Lombardi's, I did think the pizza was good. However,
    >> there is a coal-fired pizza place a few miles from my house in Texas
    >> that turns out a similar product. Lombardi's was not much better than
    >> that. I'd say they are pretty close to equivalent. By "touristy", I
    >> just mean there are a lot of obvious tourists (like me) flocking to
    >> the place, and there's adverts for T shirts at each table, etc. It's
    >> not the restaurant's fault that tourists go there, but I did get that
    >> vibe from the place.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, there's a much different vibe at Regina Pizza in
    >> Boston. It is much more like a local bar/hangout with great food.
    >> They use a gas oven, which is not as hot as coal, but the crust is
    >> great anyway. The key difference is the tastiness of the toppings.
    >> Simply the best pizza I've ever had, and that includes lots of pizza
    >> places in the San Francisco area I used to frequent when living
    >> there. An internet aquaintence recommended Regina to me a few years
    >> ago, and I am forever in his debt. This guy is quite a flaky net-
    >> kook, but he was spot-on about Regina.
    >>
    >> There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    >> final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza. Some
    >> day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing. But so
    >> far, Regina is at the top of my list.

    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5508747815/in/set-72157626223043676/lightbox/

    Will try it next time we're in the area. Bean town is only about a six
    hour drive.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 20, 2012
  17. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Touristy qas (Re: Food - late seating)

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:07:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 20, 9:51 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:41:19 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    >> >final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza.  Some
    >> >day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing.  But so
    >> >far, Regina is at the top of my list.

    >> I lived in Chicago and went to Uno's and Due's many, many times.  I
    >> was never fond of the Chicago "deep dish" pizza and ordered, instead,
    >> thin crust pizza. (The franchise Uno's are a travesty)

    >I've been to a few Uno's franchise locations in several cities, but
    >not the original (which I take it is in Chicago?). I thought the
    >pizza was pretty tasty, but I wouldn't put it in the outstanding
    >category.

    That goes back to the "what you are used to" premise of mine. I
    started going to Uno's and Due's (both owned by the same people) in
    the 1960s and became accustomed to that pizza. They opened a Uno's
    franchise down here a few years ago, and the pizza just isn't the same
    as in Chicago.

    If I hadn't have had an expectation of what Uno's pizza would be like,
    I might have liked it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 20, 2012
  18. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Touristy qas (Re: Food - late seating)

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:09:48 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/20/2012 10:51 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:41:19 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are a few more NYC pizza places I need to try before passing
    >>> final judgement, and a friend of mine swears by Chicago pizza. Some
    >>> day, maybe I'll get to go to Italy and try the real thing. But so
    >>> far, Regina is at the top of my list.

    >> I lived in Chicago and went to Uno's and Due's many, many times. I
    >> was never fond of the Chicago "deep dish" pizza and ordered, instead,
    >> thin crust pizza. (The franchise Uno's are a travesty)
    >>
    >> The "best" pizza is what you start out on. Mentally, that first good
    >> pizza is your taste bud's benchmark for good pizza the rest of your
    >> life. My first pizza was eaten at the Italian Gardens in Indianapolis
    >> (the restaurant is now long gone)...thin crust and not greasy on top.
    >> I've never found pizza as good as that again.
    >>
    >> People who say that water in dough (New Yorkers, mainly) makes the
    >> difference are only comparing other pizza to what they are used to. I
    >> never found New York pizza to be very good. Too greasy.
    >>

    >Depends on where you go. A good coal fire pizza, made with the proper
    >toppings is hard to beat. Some chains are starting to use the concept,
    >Anthony's comes to mind. However, to my taste putting a salad on a pizza
    >is a travesty.

    I don't know of any places down here that use coal, but there are
    several wood fire pizza places. I think the more uniform temperature
    electric oven does better.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 20, 2012
  19. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/20/2012 2:49 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:09:48 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/20/2012 10:51 AM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> I lived in Chicago and went to Uno's and Due's many, many times. I
    >>> was never fond of the Chicago "deep dish" pizza and ordered, instead,
    >>> thin crust pizza. (The franchise Uno's are a travesty)
    >>>
    >>> The "best" pizza is what you start out on. Mentally, that first good
    >>> pizza is your taste bud's benchmark for good pizza the rest of your
    >>> life. My first pizza was eaten at the Italian Gardens in Indianapolis
    >>> (the restaurant is now long gone)...thin crust and not greasy on top.
    >>> I've never found pizza as good as that again.
    >>>
    >>> People who say that water in dough (New Yorkers, mainly) makes the
    >>> difference are only comparing other pizza to what they are used to. I
    >>> never found New York pizza to be very good. Too greasy.
    >>>

    >> Depends on where you go. A good coal fire pizza, made with the proper
    >> toppings is hard to beat. Some chains are starting to use the concept,
    >> Anthony's comes to mind. However, to my taste putting a salad on a pizza
    >> is a travesty.

    > I don't know of any places down here that use coal, but there are
    > several wood fire pizza places. I think the more uniform temperature
    > electric oven does better.

    <http://anthonyscoalfiredpizza.com/locations>

    I like the more traditional toppings.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 20, 2012
  20. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/20/2012 4:05 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-20 14:49 , tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know of any places down here that use coal, but there are
    >> several wood fire pizza places. I think the more uniform temperature
    >> electric oven does better.

    > We have a lot of wood fire pizza places. Always good.

    Wood fired is good; gas fired is good. Assuming the toppings are of
    equal quality, I prefer a thin coal fired pie. To my taste the texture
    is better because the quick cooking makes it crispier and the cheese
    melts differently.

    Some like deep dish, I don't dislike deep dish, I simply have a preference.

    YMMV

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 20, 2012