    Regards

    Jb

    , Jan 9, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dpscjt$qfg$,
    spewed forth:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I Think I have made a real Mess Up by Re Formatting
    > my Hdd as I have lost many files can they be retrieved

    Yes, you messed up. Big time. You always need to make backup copies of
    files and settings before you format (erase!) a drive.

    Now, yes you can get some of those files back. It depends on several things.
    One, how tenacious are you? Two, how critical are the files?

    You can do this yourself, or you can pay a service to do it. It wouldn't be
    cheap. Doing it yourself is often tedious and difficult. And if you are
    booting from that drive, it gets less and less successful the longer you use
    the computer. (Because if you are using that drive, it keeps overwriting
    rather randomly and once something is overwritten, it is basically
    non-recoverable.)

    So, bottom line: just how important is this?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006

  3. PC Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I Think I have made a real Mess Up by Re Formatting
    > my Hdd as I have lost many files can they be retrieved
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jb

    Jb

    With the greatest respect, if you didn't know the effect 'Format' would have
    on your 'files' then I suggest the only chance 'you' have of getting any of
    them back is to take it to a recovery expert.
    What is retrievable depends on what has been written to the drive since you
    Formatted it.

    Paul.
    PC, Jan 9, 2006
  4. J-McC Guest

    Re: Re-fomat Hdd & xp Home-take care!

    Normally when you reformat basically the fat (file allocation table)
    and the root directory get wiped out. Your data /informtion is still
    intact, only the fat will not be pointing to it all anymore.

    If you have converted from FAT32 to HPFS then I think you may be
    looking glum as I dont think your chances are going to be too good.

    Also I remember an early version of Compaq dos would wipe the entire
    disk when you formatted your hard disk.

    Provided that you do write or really do anything else to this hard
    drive you or someone has a chance to recover your data. It is not
    worth the trouble trying to recover your programs eg Office or winzip
    as most programs require information to be written to the registry.

    The data (letters, spreadsheets, emails and possibly pictures or music
    etc) is what you really want. If you have not backed them up ever or
    recently will determine what you really need to recover.

    You really need to remove this harddisk, get one that is at least the
    same size or bigger, and then install an operating system and get hold
    of a decent file recovery program, Ontrack or PC tools are two I use.
    Now make the harddisk with your info need to be set as a slave HDD,
    just make sure you do not write anything to it at all!!!

    Dependant on how big the hard disk is will determine how long the
    recovery will take. If the stuff is really important then I would
    seek expert help/advice.
    Jim McC

    J-McC, Jan 9, 2006
  5. J-McC Guest

    Re: Re-fomat Hdd & xp Home-take care do not write to old disk!

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:56:06 GMT, (J-McC)
    wrote: BUT I should have proof read it though. Do not ever write
    anything to a disk that you want to try and recover data from as you
    may overwrite the very stuff you want to recover!!!! This applies to
    both floppies and hard drives.

    >Normally when you reformat basically the fat (file allocation table)
    >and the root directory get wiped out. Your data /informtion is still
    >intact, only the fat will not be pointing to it all anymore.
    >
    >If you have converted from FAT32 to HPFS then I think you may be
    >looking glum as I dont think your chances are going to be too good.
    >
    >Also I remember an early version of Compaq dos would wipe the entire
    >disk when you formatted your hard disk.
    >
    >Provided that you do NOT write or really do anything else to this hard
    >drive you or someone else has a chance to recover your data. It is not
    >worth the trouble trying to recover your programs eg Office or winzip
    >as most programs require information to be written to the registry,

    and they should just be re-installed.

    J-McC, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I Think I have made a real Mess Up by Re Formatting
    > my Hdd as I have lost many files can they be retrieved
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jb

    You could try Restorer 2000 from http://www.bitmart.net/r2k.shtml

    "Restorer2000 is a powerful data recovery, undelete, unerase and
    unformat software that can restore files lost accidentally in NTFS or
    FAT partitions because of:
    Recycle Bin has been emptied or files were removed without Recycle Bin
    Hardware or software failures
    Power failure
    Virus attack
    Hard drive format (even for different file system)
    System shutdown
    Partitioning or boot-up problems"

    Other utilities listed at
    http://www.downloadjunction.com/product/software/5547/

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I Think I have made a real Mess Up by Re Formatting
    > my Hdd as I have lost many files can they be retrieved

    Chances are, NO. Uness you use a real expensive data recovery service.
    Plato, Jan 9, 2006