Re: Floppy Questions

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by John D Loop, May 26, 2004.

  1. John D Loop

    John D Loop Guest

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I've been having ongoing problems with floppies, more than likely there's
    > something going on that I don't know about.
    >
    > I run '98 here at home, and usually have no problem copying files to and
    > from floppies. However, often when I bring them over to other computers,
    > running 2000 or XP, I get messages such as "A: is not formatted, would you
    > like to format it now?" Of course I say no, then I'll bring the floppy

    home
    > and am able to work with it.
    >
    > Is there something about the newest NTFS that doesn't like floppies? Is
    > there a way around this?
    >
    > Yesterday, I was trying to do some work at my father-in-law's house, and I
    > couldn't use the floppy. Also, and I admit to being a bit out of the

    loop,
    > I tried to defrag the flop, and there seems to be no mechanism to

    accomplish
    > this, it only sees "attached" (C:, etc.) drives.
    >
    > And, does anyone know the easiest way to scandisk a floppy in a 2000/XP
    > machine, or is this even possible?
    >
    > Any responses/suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > smackedass

    Perfect reason to go out and buy one of those USB sticks. I am finding
    almost all except the very oldest PCs have the USB, and I believe 98
    supports it.
    But not 95.
    J--
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com
    You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    over again.
    John D Loop, May 26, 2004

  2. John D Loop

    John Loop Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > 98 does not support USB mass storage devices natively in most cases. A
    > driver is usually required, and not always available.
    >
    > Also, on most computers, you cannot boot from a USB mass storage device.
    >
    > So there is still good reason to have a floppy drive around.
    >

    > John D Loop wrote:
    > > "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hello again,
    > >>
    > >>I've been having ongoing problems with floppies, more than likely

    there's
    > >>something going on that I don't know about.
    > >>
    > >>I run '98 here at home, and usually have no problem copying files to and
    > >>from floppies. However, often when I bring them over to other

    computers,
    > >>running 2000 or XP, I get messages such as "A: is not formatted, would

    you
    > >>like to format it now?" Of course I say no, then I'll bring the floppy

    > > home
    > >
    > >>and am able to work with it.
    > >>
    > >>Is there something about the newest NTFS that doesn't like floppies? Is
    > >>there a way around this?
    > >>
    > >>Yesterday, I was trying to do some work at my father-in-law's house, and

    > >>couldn't use the floppy. Also, and I admit to being a bit out of the

    > > loop,
    > >
    > >>I tried to defrag the flop, and there seems to be no mechanism to

    > > accomplish
    > >
    > >>this, it only sees "attached" (C:, etc.) drives.
    > >>
    > >>And, does anyone know the easiest way to scandisk a floppy in a 2000/XP
    > >>machine, or is this even possible?
    > >>
    > >>Any responses/suggestions are appreciated.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance.
    > >>
    > >>smackedass
    > >>

    > > Perfect reason to go out and buy one of those USB sticks. I am finding
    > > almost all except the very oldest PCs have the USB, and I believe 98
    > > supports it.
    > > But not 95.
    > > J--
    > > Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and

    wireless
    > > homenetworking environments!
    > > www.pccitizen.com
    > > You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with

    it,
    > > let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it

    all
    > > over again.

    Yes, thanks for clarification. Shows how much I get into win95/98 these
    days.
    The USB stick is such a great solution for file access -it is the
    "sneakernet" on steroids!
    Also, using a USB stick with Knoppix (on CDROM) seems like the gem of some
    genius idea, which I am trying to gauge....
    Now when they get the USB sticks big enough to put Linux ON them, and you
    can boot them, then you can run a fairly personalized version of Linux on
    ANY PC by carrying around your USB stick.
    John --
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
    John Loop, May 26, 2004

  3. John D Loop

    > I have to say, the appeal of USB memory modules largely escapes me.
    >
    > You can get a gigabyte USB module, but it will cost you about $200.
    > However, a CD is essentially free (after rebate, of course), and will
    > hold more than most USB modules. Since most PCs now have burner, and
    > since most of what I do doesn't require writing anyway (e.g. I mostly do
    > system setup), a CD seems like as good a solution (if not better) as a
    > USB module. Not as "sexy", but works as well if not better, and orders
    > of magnitude cheaper.

    Guess it depends on your job. I am in a support role, wandering all around
    building, going into different PCs, networks. The USB stick is a great way
    to have ...almost... everything I need in the way of files, especially when
    these PCs are on different, mainly private networks, if that. Also easier
    to hang around my neck with my pass, my IPSEC module. I am tempted to hang
    that Knoppix CD around my neck too :)
    J--
    John Loop, May 26, 2004