Re: Floppy Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    Are you getting any lights on the floppy?
    Try turning the cable around the wrong way on the floppy and you should get
    a continuous light.
    If you are then it is getting power. If it's not there are plugs that have
    a female plug that will go into a regular BNC connector and give you the
    floppy power along with a regular BNC connection. I haven't seen one for
    years but I have seen them.

    AG
    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Am working on an older NEC machine. The floppy drive wasn't reading

    disks.
    > I tried a different floppy drive, no dice. Tried a different data cable,

    no
    > dice. Looked at the BIOS, looked good, floppy drive A: was enabled, and
    > set to 3 1/2.
    >
    > Unplugged the floppy entirely. It sill shows up in the BIOS, and still
    > shows up in My computer, although when I double click on A: Floppy, it
    > thinks things over for about 20 seconds, then says "A: not accessible, the
    > device is not ready.
    >
    > Went back to the BIOS, disabled A: set B: to be 3 1/2 floppy. Plugged the
    > floppy back in. Saved changes, aok. Booted back to Windows, Windows sees
    > only A:, but as a 5 1/4.
    >
    > Went back to the defaults, A: as 3 1/2, reseated all of the connections,
    > still no go
    >
    > What gives? I'm inclined to believe that the power supply is not feeding
    > power to the flop, although the rest of the computer, every drive, seems

    > be working ok. Or possibly a problem with the mobo? Perhaps the BIOS

    needs

    AG, Apr 4, 2005