Re: floating point error in file conversions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by oberon@oby.net, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Guest

    >Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    >> when using tmpgenc to convert avi's and wmv's to vcd-capable mpg's, i get
    >> occasional floating point file errors in the conversions and they will
    >> fail. several other programs fail on the same files. are these special
    >> format avi's or wmv's?

    >Floating point file errors, I have never heard of that. I have heard of
    >floating point errors in a program trying to do some kind of math equation
    >in a floating point calculation. It sounds like an unhandled program error
    >in a badly written program. Maybe, you should get in touch with the maker
    >of the product concerning the issue.

    the odd thing is that the wmv's play fine with wmp9 and the avi's play
    fine with divx but converting them over to vcd gives me that error and
    exits the program. tmpgenc is an open source program, i think. i tried a
    couple of others like asf converter for the wmv's and avi converter by
    cucusoft and the results were the same error. strange!

    , Jul 15, 2004

  2. ICee Guest

    wrote:
    >> Duane Arnold <> wrote:

    >>> when using tmpgenc to convert avi's and wmv's to vcd-capable mpg's,
    >>> i get occasional floating point file errors in the conversions and
    >>> they will fail. several other programs fail on the same files. are
    >>> these special format avi's or wmv's?

    >> Floating point file errors, I have never heard of that. I have heard
    >> of floating point errors in a program trying to do some kind of math
    >> equation in a floating point calculation. It sounds like an
    >> unhandled program error in a badly written program. Maybe, you
    >> should get in touch with the maker of the product concerning the
    >> issue.

    > the odd thing is that the wmv's play fine with wmp9 and the avi's play
    > fine with divx but converting them over to vcd gives me that error and
    > exits the program. tmpgenc is an open source program, i think. i
    > tried a couple of others like asf converter for the wmv's and avi
    > converter by cucusoft and the results were the same error. strange!

    It takes very little computing power to play music, but a great deal of
    power to encode files. You probably have a hardware problem that shows
    up under heavy stress. Either memory, CPU, or excess heat. Reseat the
    memory, all cables, and clean out any dust, especially in the CPU
    heatsink. Make sure all the fans are running, especially the one on the
    CPU.
    If you still have problems, run a memory diagnostic like Memtest86
    and/or DocMemory.
    www.memtest86.com
    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    ICee, Jul 15, 2004