Re: Flickering screen + crazy cursor?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimchip, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Jimchip

    Jimchip Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:44:13 +0100, eugene wrote:
    > My son was on-line the other night and the only thing I know he downloaded
    > was a screensaver. However, since then Ive been experiencing seriously
    > irritating problems. When I start up, my screen flickers for about 15 mins
    > or so and my cursor jumps all over the screen. I keep getng disconnected and
    > now, tonight, as I write this, I hear a crackle occasionally which signifies
    > some sort of outage as whatever I was writing has missed letters (as in
    > getting in the above line). I suspected a virus but did an update and
    > complete scan using AVG 6.0 yet nothing showed up. Every time I perform an
    > action, should it be to close a page or even minimise one, and especially
    > when I save something, everything freezes for up to a minute and there is no
    > response from my mouse or any key. This is seriously annoying as I'm sure
    > you can imagine. The only other noticeable fault is that my clock has gone a
    > little off. Anybody got any ideas what could be wrong?

    In addition to AVG you should scan for trojans and spyware.

    Online Scanning tools
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/activescan-com.asp
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp

    Anti-trojan
    Trojan Defence Suite: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/
    Trojan Hunter: http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp
    http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/

    Anti-spyware
    Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot S&D (because trout said so):
    http://security.kolla.de
    Mara says, "A-spy is handy, too."
    http://miika.no-ip.org/ftp/?C=M&O=A

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2003