Re: flatbed scanner advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by -hh, Dec 1, 2012.

  1. -hh

    -hh Guest

    On Nov 29, 6:21 pm, "Michael D. Berger" <>
    wrote:
    > I need a scanner primarily for old photos, but also for general
    > paperwork.  I am thinking of an Epson 700.  Any suggestions?

    Do check to see if the manufacturer has drivers that support your OS;
    I have an older Epson Perfection Photo 3200 and its Firewire port no
    longer is supported on current Mac OS versions ... it still works on
    USB2, but takes a 40% hit in slower I/O, which adds up quickly for
    more serious scan sizes/resolutions/bit depth.

    In general, flatbeds are ok for prints & general paperwork; for
    transparencies they're okay too for low resolutions - - for best
    results, one really needs to get rid of the glass surface between the
    sensor head and the original.

    If you have a bunch of 'bulk' stuff that isn't particularly fragile/
    treasured, its probably worth your free time & sanity to send it out
    to a service instead of doing it yourself.

    -hh
    -hh, Dec 1, 2012