Re: flatbed scanner advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Nov 30, 2012.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 30/11/2012 10:21 AM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
    > I need a scanner primarily for old photos, but also for general
    > paperwork. I am thinking of an Epson 700. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike.

    I have the V700 scanner and no longer use my Minolta 120 film scanner.

    I like scanning bulk slides 12x, film strips 24x, Larger negs and tranny
    film with the holders supplied, up to 4x5. Masks may have to be made for
    bigger negs/tranny above 4x5. (I have scanned 5x7, 8x10 and 10x10 film)
    Sometimes it gets a bit disorientated when scanning 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7
    film strips, because its dependant on the spacing of the images (not
    sure about 35mm as all mine are equal spacing)

    Will scan at a much higher resolution that you would possibly need for
    old photos.

    Does a good job, more than adequate for most scanning needs. The
    software that comes with it, I find better/easier to use than what's on
    the market, Vuescan and Silverfast. A copy of Silverfast lite came with
    scanner as well as the Epson software.

    Works well on W7 and Epson support their scanner software, so would
    assume W8 is also OK. Mac versions are available.

    I have had mine over two years now and still like it.

    Rob, Nov 30, 2012

  2. Rob

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, November 30, 2012 8:45:20 AM UTC, Rob wrote:
    > On 30/11/2012 10:21 AM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
    >
    > > I need a scanner primarily for old photos, but also for general

    > > paperwork. I am thinking of an Epson 700. Any suggestions?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Mike.

    > I have the V700 scanner and no longer use my Minolta 120 film scanner.

    I have a V600 and very happy with it not that I've used it much.
    The only slightly annoying think is the software doesn't always launch in you switch the scanner on after logging in as a differtn user (under Mac snow leopard) the user has to log out and back in again.

    A friend has called it "rather large & ugley"

    > I like scanning bulk slides 12x,

    Never heard anyone say they like scanning :)

    > film strips 24x, Larger negs and tranny
    >
    > film with the holders supplied, up to 4x5. Masks may have to be made for
    >
    > bigger negs/tranny above 4x5. (I have scanned 5x7, 8x10 and 10x10 film)
    >
    > Sometimes it gets a bit disorientated when scanning 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7
    >
    > film strips, because its dependant on the spacing of the images (not
    >
    > sure about 35mm as all mine are equal spacing)
    >

    > Will scan at a much higher resolution that you would possibly need for
    >
    > old photos.
    >

    > Does a good job, more than adequate for most scanning needs. The
    >
    > software that comes with it, I find better/easier to use than what's on
    >
    > the market, Vuescan and Silverfast. A copy of Silverfast lite came with
    >
    > scanner as well as the Epson software.

    As for speed a friend found it easier and quicker to place 4 to 8 photos on the floor and use his iphone to take a pictures.
    he wasnt; worried by overall quality it was only copies of old family photos, think he got through a couple of 100 in an hour.
    Just another idea if anyones not got a scanner handy and wants a quick way to copy photos.

    Whisky-dave, Nov 30, 2012