Re: flatbed scanner advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter Jason, Nov 30, 2012.

  1. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:21:25 GMT, "Michael D.
    Berger" <> wrote:

    >I need a scanner primarily for old photos, but also for general
    >paperwork. I am thinking of an Epson 700. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mike.


    I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    9950F that now does not work with Win7.

    Make sure the unit comes with negative holders and
    the ability for reflective scanning. The unit's
    software should be able to straighten the finished
    scans, or else photoshop will do it.

    I scanned thousands of photos & old 4x3 negatives,
    and lots of old letters, wills, documents,
    newspaper cuttings and xrays etc.

    For slides I bought a separate unit especially
    designed for this.

    All these now reside on (several) DVDs. The
    photos etc were borrowed from relatives and
    returned to them with a DVD copy. Many old
    color photos from the 1970s had faded, and
    newspaper cuttings faded & brittle. Although I
    saved thousands of photos/negatives, many more had
    been thrown out. Many people will send old photos
    to the dumpster once the old people die. Watch
    out for this.
     
    Peter Jason, Nov 30, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Peter Jason

    David Taylor Guest

    On 30/11/2012 00:26, Peter Jason wrote:
    []
    > I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    > 9950F that now does not work with Win7.

    []

    Try it using the Win-XP mode available for some versions of Windows-7.
    Worked for me with a WebCam which didn't have Win-7/64 drivers.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
     
    David Taylor, Nov 30, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 30/11/2012 11:26 AM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:21:25 GMT, "Michael D.
    > Berger" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I need a scanner primarily for old photos, but also for general
    >> paperwork. I am thinking of an Epson 700. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mike.

    >
    > I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    > 9950F that now does not work with Win7.
    >
    > Make sure the unit comes with negative holders and
    > the ability for reflective scanning. The unit's
    > software should be able to straighten the finished
    > scans, or else photoshop will do it.
    >
    > I scanned thousands of photos & old 4x3 negatives,
    > and lots of old letters, wills, documents,
    > newspaper cuttings and xrays etc.
    >
    > For slides I bought a separate unit especially
    > designed for this.
    >
    > All these now reside on (several) DVDs. The
    > photos etc were borrowed from relatives and
    > returned to them with a DVD copy. Many old
    > color photos from the 1970s had faded, and
    > newspaper cuttings faded & brittle. Although I
    > saved thousands of photos/negatives, many more had
    > been thrown out. Many people will send old photos
    > to the dumpster once the old people die. Watch
    > out for this.
    >



    http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0900336703.html

    also

    To make a Nikon scanner work on W7, (Nikon scanners are not supported
    for W7) friend tried most things until we stumbled onto loading Vuescan
    as an alternative. After loading Vuescan, Nikons own software worked.
    So a file which Vuescan includes allowed it work.



    Did read a thread here in which it recommended to replace the inf file

    http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/how-to-run-old-minolta-scanners-on-vista-7_topic80321.html
     
    Rob, Nov 30, 2012
    #3
  4. Peter Jason

    DaveS Guest

    On 11/29/2012 6:26 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    > I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    > 9950F that now does not work with Win7.


    I used to think there was no solution for software/hardware that won't
    work on a newer operating system except to bite the bullet and buy new.
    Now I know different.

    I had an astronomy program that wouldn't install on my new Win7 laptop.
    I found out about Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) which allows me to create
    a virtual PC under Win7. I then installed WindowsXP on that virtual PC,
    and installed the software (SkyGlobe) into that virtual PC. It works
    just as if it was the original WinXP computer.

    I haven't tried to use Win7 incompatible hardware with this setup, but I
    do expect it would work, and is not hard to set up.

    Dave S.
     
    DaveS, Dec 1, 2012
    #4
  5. Peter Jason

    DaveS Guest

    On 12/1/2012 12:55 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.12.01 13:16 , DaveS wrote:
    >> On 11/29/2012 6:26 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>> I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    >>> 9950F that now does not work with Win7.

    >>
    >> I used to think there was no solution for software/hardware that won't
    >> work on a newer operating system except to bite the bullet and buy new.
    >> Now I know different.
    >>
    >> I had an astronomy program that wouldn't install on my new Win7 laptop.
    >> I found out about Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) which allows me to create
    >> a virtual PC under Win7. I then installed WindowsXP on that virtual PC,
    >> and installed the software (SkyGlobe) into that virtual PC. It works
    >> just as if it was the original WinXP computer.

    >
    > I used to enjoy Skyglobe. Lean, mean easy to use... ( I had the DOS
    > version which worked with some glitches under Win).
    >
    > Now I use Stellarium which is also available for Windows and Linux.
    > (It's free). http://www.stellarium.org/
    >
    > The interface is strange (to say the least) but it has lots of
    > capability - including adding satellites to the viewables (via TLE's).
    >


    Yes, I installed Stellarium when I thought I had no other options. Usage
    is anything but transparent, so I gave up on it.

    I think you would find that the DOS version of SkyGlobe would work just
    fine on an XP machine, virtual or otherwise.
    I don't think any version of SkyGlobe is currently available on the web,
    so I could send it to you if you want.

    Dave S.
     
    DaveS, Dec 1, 2012
    #5
  6. Peter Jason

    DaveS Guest

    On 12/1/2012 4:48 PM, DaveS wrote:
    > On 12/1/2012 12:55 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >> On 2012.12.01 13:16 , DaveS wrote:
    >>> On 11/29/2012 6:26 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>>> I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    >>>> 9950F that now does not work with Win7.
    >>>
    >>> I used to think there was no solution for software/hardware that won't
    >>> work on a newer operating system except to bite the bullet and buy new.
    >>> Now I know different.
    >>>
    >>> I had an astronomy program that wouldn't install on my new Win7 laptop.
    >>> I found out about Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) which allows me to create
    >>> a virtual PC under Win7. I then installed WindowsXP on that virtual PC,
    >>> and installed the software (SkyGlobe) into that virtual PC. It works
    >>> just as if it was the original WinXP computer.

    >>
    >> I used to enjoy Skyglobe. Lean, mean easy to use... ( I had the DOS
    >> version which worked with some glitches under Win).
    >>
    >> Now I use Stellarium which is also available for Windows and Linux.
    >> (It's free). http://www.stellarium.org/
    >>
    >> The interface is strange (to say the least) but it has lots of
    >> capability - including adding satellites to the viewables (via TLE's).
    >>

    >
    > Yes, I installed Stellarium when I thought I had no other options. Usage
    > is anything but transparent, so I gave up on it.
    >
    > I think you would find that the DOS version of SkyGlobe would work just
    > fine on an XP machine, virtual or otherwise.
    > I don't think any version of SkyGlobe is currently available on the web,
    > so I could send it to you if you want.
    >
    > Dave S.
    >


    Sorry, I jumped to conclusions without checking; SkyGlobe appears to be
    available here:
    http://www.sidewalkastronomy.com/skyglobe.html

    Dave S.
     
    DaveS, Dec 1, 2012
    #6
  7. Peter Jason

    Wally Guest

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:16:27 -0600, DaveS <> wrote:

    >On 11/29/2012 6:26 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >> I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    >> 9950F that now does not work with Win7.

    >
    >I used to think there was no solution for software/hardware that won't
    >work on a newer operating system except to bite the bullet and buy new.
    >Now I know different.
    >
    >I had an astronomy program that wouldn't install on my new Win7 laptop.
    >I found out about Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) which allows me to create
    >a virtual PC under Win7. I then installed WindowsXP on that virtual PC,
    >and installed the software (SkyGlobe) into that virtual PC. It works
    >just as if it was the original WinXP computer.


    How did you install the Win XP? Isn't the license tied to a particular
    computer?

    W.
     
    Wally, Dec 2, 2012
    #7
  8. Peter Jason

    DaveS Guest

    On 12/1/2012 11:21 PM, Wally wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:16:27 -0600, DaveS <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/29/2012 6:26 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
    >>> I did the same thing a while ago with a Canonscan
    >>> 9950F that now does not work with Win7.

    >>
    >> I used to think there was no solution for software/hardware that won't
    >> work on a newer operating system except to bite the bullet and buy new.
    >> Now I know different.
    >>
    >> I had an astronomy program that wouldn't install on my new Win7 laptop.
    >> I found out about Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) which allows me to create
    >> a virtual PC under Win7. I then installed WindowsXP on that virtual PC,
    >> and installed the software (SkyGlobe) into that virtual PC. It works
    >> just as if it was the original WinXP computer.

    >
    > How did you install the Win XP? Isn't the license tied to a particular
    > computer?
    >
    > W.
    >

    I used WinXP as an example.
    I don't have a copy of XP that isn't being used on an existing computer,
    but I do have such a copy of Win 2000, which is what I installed.

    When you register XP after a new install, you are then tying it to a
    specific computer.

    Dave S.
     
    DaveS, Dec 2, 2012
    #8
  9. Peter Jason

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2012120208452515394-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >
    > On 2012-12-02 08:23:24 -0800, Alan Browne
    > <> said:
    >
    > > On 2012.12.02 11:10 , DaveS wrote:
    > >
    > >> When you register XP after a new install, you are then tying it to a
    > >> specific computer.

    > >
    > > The WinXP I run under Fusion on the Mac is the same WinXP license I had
    > > on 2 other machines (serially) and is itself predicated on owning a
    > > Win98 license (checked from the install CD when installing WinXP).
    > >
    > > Doesn't seem to care what physical machine it is on at all.

    >
    > Yup!
    > I have a version of XP running under Fusion on my iMac and on my MBP
    > 17'' without issue.


    The "issue" is activation. Once Windows is activated it's generally
    happy. Microsoft has so many different licensing models that it's
    difficult to keep track. Some tie a specific copy of Windows to a
    specific motherboard, others allow it to be transferred to different
    hardware as long as it is completely removed from the previous hardware,
    some but not all allow it to be installed as both a real and a virtual
    system on the same hardware at the same time. Very few if any allow
    simultaneous activation on different hardware. Many also allow
    downgrades--a Windows 7 retail license for example also allows you to
    install Vista or XP using the same key, but you can only use one at a
    time. Some Windows 7 licenses inlcude a virtual XP license--you can
    download the virtual XP preconfigured straight from Microsoft.

    The trouble is that the licensing is so complicated that their own techs
    can't keep track of it, as a result of which their techs are generally
    pretty generous about licensing--if you call in with a halfway
    reasonable story they'll generally give you an activation code even if
    your particular use violates the license as long as you aren't too
    egregious about it--they'll generally activate an OEM copy on a
    different motherboard for example even though that's technically a
    violation of the OEM license. On the other hand if you've tried to
    activate the same copy on 20 different pieces of hardware in the past
    week they'll likely flag the serial number you're using.

    I'm told that there is a time consideration as well--after some period
    of months or years in which a serial number has not been reactivated it
    gets reset in their system so it can be activated again on different
    hardware--but I have never seen an official statement to that effect.

    Anyway, XP doesn't care what machine it's running on, but Windows
    Product Activation does care.
     
    J. Clarke, Dec 3, 2012
    #9
  10. Peter Jason

    Mayayana Guest

    |
    | The "issue" is activation. Once Windows is activated it's generally
    | happy. Microsoft has so many different licensing models that it's
    | difficult to keep track.

    |Some tie a specific copy of Windows to a
    | specific motherboard,

    That's OEM version. It's a one-type use.


    | others allow it to be transferred to different
    | hardware as long as it is completely removed from the previous hardware,

    That's the Full Version, not to be confused with
    marketing that advertises "Full Version OEM". But
    one still has to get it reactivated when it's moved to
    a new PC. Typically,
    full is about $200, OEM is about $100, Pro Full is
    about $300. But it can vary a lot. Last I saw one could
    still but a Dell copy of XP OEM. They buy licenses in
    advance and apparently still have some XP license left.
    (That arragement is what allows Microsoft to make crazy
    claims like "We've sold 40 million copies of Win8! It's a hit!
    They just sell a pile of license to the OEM companies and
    then refuse to release activation statistics. That allows
    them to "sell" any number of Windows license they like.
    .... I'd love to know what sort of discount Dell and HP
    are getting for that upfront purchase.)

    | Very few if any allow
    | simultaneous activation on different hardware.

    The corporate version doesn't require activation. It's
    licensed for a given number of machines. Though I read
    recently that Win8, aimed at being a consumer version
    tied completely to hardware, no longer offers the corporate
    version.

    | The trouble is that the licensing is so complicated that their own techs
    | can't keep track of it, as a result of which their techs are generally
    | pretty generous about licensing--if you call in with a halfway
    | reasonable story they'll generally give you an activation code

    The licensing is not really all that complicated, but it's
    irritating and of questionable legality. MS will usually give
    out an activation with a phone call because they don't
    want to get people mad. Most people don't realize they're
    paying repeatedly for the same license and shouldn't
    have to. Buy tying Windows to OEM PCs those people
    will be unlikely to understand the scam because they never
    actually deal with activation and don't understand how
    Windows gets installed, etc. So Bill Gates will
    continue to collect the famous "PC tax" that he bragged
    to Warren Buffett about. Not quibbling with the tiny percentage
    of people who need reactivation is a small price to pay
    in order to prevent "consumer pushback" about Product
    Activation.

    | Anyway, XP doesn't care what machine it's running on, but Windows
    | Product Activation does care.
    |

    XP will care a great deal if the hardware isn't compatible.
    If XP is moved to a new machine without first uninstalling
    the motherboard drivers then it's unlikely you'll ever reach
    the point of dealing with product activation.
     
    Mayayana, Dec 3, 2012
    #10
  11. Peter Jason

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 22:21:40 -0700, Wally <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:16:27 -0600, DaveS <> wrote:
    >
    >>I had an astronomy program that wouldn't install on my new Win7 laptop.
    >>I found out about Oracle VM VirtualBox (free) which allows me to create
    >>a virtual PC under Win7. I then installed WindowsXP on that virtual PC,
    >>and installed the software (SkyGlobe) into that virtual PC. It works
    >>just as if it was the original WinXP computer.

    >
    >How did you install the Win XP? Isn't the license tied to a particular
    >computer?


    If your Win7 is Pro or higher, you have a free Windows XP Mode included.
    This is one way to run a DOS application under a 64-bit OS. You have to
    install it under a Virtual PC. It is complicated. See:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681737(v=ws.10).aspx

    Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Dec 4, 2012
    #11
  12. Peter Jason

    Rob Guest

    On 4/12/2012 3:06 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-03 05:27:23 -0800, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >
    >> In article <2012120208452515394-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >> savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >>>
    >>> On 2012-12-02 08:23:24 -0800, Alan Browne
    >>> <> said:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2012.12.02 11:10 , DaveS wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> When you register XP after a new install, you are then tying it to a
    >>>>> specific computer.
    >>>>
    >>>> The WinXP I run under Fusion on the Mac is the same WinXP license I had
    >>>> on 2 other machines (serially) and is itself predicated on owning a
    >>>> Win98 license (checked from the install CD when installing WinXP).
    >>>>
    >>>> Doesn't seem to care what physical machine it is on at all.
    >>>
    >>> Yup!
    >>> I have a version of XP running under Fusion on my iMac and on my MBP
    >>> 17'' without issue.

    >>
    >> The "issue" is activation. Once Windows is activated it's generally
    >> happy. Microsoft has so many different licensing models that it's
    >> difficult to keep track. Some tie a specific copy of Windows to a
    >> specific motherboard, others allow it to be transferred to different
    >> hardware as long as it is completely removed from the previous hardware,
    >> some but not all allow it to be installed as both a real and a virtual
    >> system on the same hardware at the same time. Very few if any allow
    >> simultaneous activation on different hardware. Many also allow
    >> downgrades--a Windows 7 retail license for example also allows you to
    >> install Vista or XP using the same key, but you can only use one at a
    >> time. Some Windows 7 licenses inlcude a virtual XP license--you can
    >> download the virtual XP preconfigured straight from Microsoft.
    >>
    >> The trouble is that the licensing is so complicated that their own techs
    >> can't keep track of it, as a result of which their techs are generally
    >> pretty generous about licensing--if you call in with a halfway
    >> reasonable story they'll generally give you an activation code even if
    >> your particular use violates the license as long as you aren't too
    >> egregious about it--they'll generally activate an OEM copy on a
    >> different motherboard for example even though that's technically a
    >> violation of the OEM license. On the other hand if you've tried to
    >> activate the same copy on 20 different pieces of hardware in the past
    >> week they'll likely flag the serial number you're using.
    >>
    >> I'm told that there is a time consideration as well--after some period
    >> of months or years in which a serial number has not been reactivated it
    >> gets reset in their system so it can be activated again on different
    >> hardware--but I have never seen an official statement to that effect.
    >>
    >> Anyway, XP doesn't care what machine it's running on, but Windows
    >> Product Activation does care.

    >
    > Just to clarify, I have the same XP installed on a desktop Mac and
    > laptop MBP running under virtually under Fusion, but I have never
    > attempted to use it on both simultaneously.
    > As a matter of fact since I retired in 2009, I have found little reason
    > to boot Windows at all, but I have it available if needed.
    >
    >
    >



    I had XP on 5 machines without any problems. VL edition :)
     
    Rob, Dec 4, 2012
    #12
  13. Peter Jason

    David Taylor Guest

    On 04/12/2012 00:31, Don Wiss wrote:
    []
    > If your Win7 is Pro or higher, you have a free Windows XP Mode included.
    > This is one way to run a DOS application under a 64-bit OS. You have to
    > install it under a Virtual PC. It is complicated. See:
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681737(v=ws.10).aspx
    >
    > Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).


    I recall mentioning this near the start of this thread, but got no
    response .....
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
     
    David Taylor, Dec 4, 2012
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ray

    Re: flatbed scanner advice

    ray, Nov 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    213
  2. James Silverton

    Re: flatbed scanner advice

    James Silverton, Nov 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    265
    James Silverton
    Nov 30, 2012
  3. Rob

    Re: flatbed scanner advice

    Rob, Nov 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    227
    Whisky-dave
    Nov 30, 2012
  4. philo 

    Re: flatbed scanner advice

    philo , Nov 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    215
    philo 
    Nov 30, 2012
  5. Fred McKenzie

    Re: flatbed scanner advice

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    219
    Fred McKenzie
    Nov 30, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page