Re: Flashing amber light on the power button (GX 280 machine)?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Keith Chilton, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. I'd say most likely your power supply has gone awry. You can always get
    another by checking out it's model type and who made it. Either google that
    information to find another or try

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=106

    There are many companies out there that sell them. Stay with one like
    TigerDirect who looks fairly reputable. Not saying this is your problem, but
    if it happened just out of the blue I'd venture to say it is , or your
    motherboard or hard drive is done. If you have a test PC, you might try
    seeing if your hard drive is still accessible as a slave from your friend's
    PC. (with the help from somebody who knows how to do that) A Windows XP
    should be the easiest to do that from. Good luck.

    Make sure your buying the right thing though. Search from google the model
    number and manufacturer. If you are unsure, call the manufacturer and tell
    them the SERIAL number if nothing else. They should tell you the information
    you need.

    Good luck to you on that

    Keith Chilton, Dec 8, 2006

  2. The bulging capacitors would be the first thing I'd check as ukdkbr
    mentioned. It was a known issue with the GX260s, GX270s, and some
    GX280s...though not quite as common in the 280s. Dell will replace the
    motherboard for you for free, even if it's out of warranty.

    I've been in a government setting for the past 6 months, all they use are
    Dell PCs...and I've replaced about one motherboard a month because of this
    issue. Something about the motherboard manufacturer cheaping out on the
    capacitors (the capacitors had bad electrolytic fluid in them), then peddling
    their mobos to Dell for use in those PCs...etc.

    If the capacitors check out, the only other thing it could be is the power
    supply.

    Frank Shannon, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Keith Chilton

    Marc Manan Guest

    Bad capacator

    Yep,

    Turned out to be a bad capacitor on one of my company's machines.. So bad infact, it leaked fluid out of the top of it..

    Guess thats what I get for going with Dells....

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Marc Manan, Dec 11, 2006