Re: Flash question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Nov 23, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:20:50 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012.11.22 13:28 , wrote:
    >> My Son got his wife a Nikon DSLR for Christmas, and I'd like to get her a flash
    >> for it, at his recommendation. All he told me was that it's a 24 point something
    >> megapixel camera. Looking at the Nikon models, unless my Son is nuts and got her
    >> (a total beginner with a DLSR) a high end Nikon, I'm guessing he got her a D3200
    >> or a D5200. My question is, will the Nikon SB400 flash work alright with the
    >> camera? As I said, she's used to taking pictures (of my Grand-daughters) with
    >> her phone, so she's not a pro photographer and won't be shooting weddings!
    >> Thanks for any input or other suggestions.

    >At a minimum it should tilt (use the ceiling as a reflector and get
    >softer light and remove all those awful shadows behind the subject). So
    >the SB400 would do.
    >
    >Also get 1 or 2 sets of Eneloop batteries and charger.
    >

    >To go a little further (more advanced models).
    >Swivel (side to side) for wall bounce or ceiling when taking a portrait.
    >Head should "zoom" (follow the lens zoom so the light coverage is
    >optimized (this saves flash batteries when zoomed in as well)).
    >
    >It does not need to be the most powerful one - the middle range flashes
    >do very well for family and small group shots.
    >
    >Further bonus if the camera can wirelessly trigger the flash when it's
    >off camera - for this the flash should come with a little stand. I
    >don't know if the SB-400 supports this.

    I have a SB-400. I use it for fill lighting outside and some indoor
    photography. It's fine for limited flash photography. It tilts up so
    I can bounce light off the ceiling. It doesn't swivel, so using it in
    the portrait mode has limitations, but I compensate by shooting
    landscape mode and cropping to a portrait mode if that's the best
    output. It just means using your feet to compose. I can get creative
    with a reflector if I really have to shoot portrait mode with flash.

    I see the SB-600 advertised for about $190, and that swivels. The
    SB-400 is available for under $100.

    This is for a novice photographer, so one of those two should be
    adequate. Depends on how much the guy wants to spend.

    I don't do any "studio" work, but I do take a lot of photographs of
    the grandchildren. I'd kinda like to have a swivel flash, but don't
    consider at major need.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Nov 23, 2012