Re: Flash question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nick c, Nov 22, 2012.

  1. nick c

    nick c Guest

    On 11/22/2012 10:28 AM, wrote:
    > My Son got his wife a Nikon DSLR for Christmas, and I'd like to get her a flash
    > for it, at his recommendation. All he told me was that it's a 24 point something
    > megapixel camera. Looking at the Nikon models, unless my Son is nuts and got her
    > (a total beginner with a DLSR) a high end Nikon, I'm guessing he got her a D3200
    > or a D5200. My question is, will the Nikon SB400 flash work alright with the
    > camera? As I said, she's used to taking pictures (of my Grand-daughters) with
    > her phone, so she's not a pro photographer and won't be shooting weddings!
    > Thanks for any input or other suggestions.

    The SB400 is an inexpensive good flash, not much better in light output
    than a built-in flash, but none-the-less a good flash. Most of the time
    I use my SB400 out doors as a straight-on fill flash. It's light and
    balances well on the camera but it can't be used as a master flash. Both
    the built-in flash and the SB400 flash may cause a lens shadow to appear
    should a long fast variable wide lens be used in its smallest f-stop.

    I also have a SB600 and a SB700. The Sb700 is a very good flash and it's
    easy to use, being very versatile. I use the SB600 as a slave out doors
    when simulating a behind-the-head shot, as a slave indoors when lighting
    a large room, or any time I think, and am allowed to use, a slave flash
    appropriately.

    However, if I were to be limited to having only one flash, it would be
    the SB700. It may be equal to the SB600 though easier to use and not as
    versatile as the SB900 but I'd rather have it than the SB900 or any of
    the other Nikon flashes.

    Nick
    nick c, Nov 22, 2012