Re: Fixing malware/spyware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HEMI-Powered, Oct 19, 2008.

  1. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= added these comments in the current
    discussion du jour ...

    > I work at a school district and occasionally we get a teachers
    > notebook back with some spy ware/malware/virus on it.
    >
    > We have a firewall, XP and McAfee running on all. The scenario
    > usually happens when it hasn't been on the network to be
    > updated, the user takes it home and clicks on something like
    > "You have crap on your computer. Want us to cleans it off?"
    > The idiots do... or their kids. In spite of many
    > requirements/warnings.
    >
    > I update and run McAfee and it usually iindicates Vundo & says
    > it's cleaning/deleting. Supurious dll's still come up in
    > booting as user. Running Housecall does not help to any
    > extent. Ditto with Ad Aware.
    >
    > My last resort is to reimage the notebook to original. If I
    > feel kindly/workload I may copy the data to their share.
    >
    > Does anyone have a practical plan of attack and favorite
    > software I could use?
    >
    > I would rather help these people than just lay waste...

    With both cynicism and realism, methinketh you need a far
    stronger policy on malware coming in from teacher notebooks. No
    one must ever be allowed to bring down a network because they do
    not practice "safe sex" on the Internet. If the teacher has
    circumvented your malware protection, take away their computer.
    If they mangle themselves or you, make them pay to correct it.
    You'd be surprised what a powerful incentive to do right is to be
    personally disadvantaged.

    There is simply no way that I, as the tech support for your
    school, would continue to waste time and resources on teachers
    who so clearly take no responsibility for their own actions.

    The one-strike-and-you're-out plan trumps any SW solution you may
    come up with. One other draconian suggestion, prohibit
    technically the ability to even go to dangerous sites and
    consider getting school board support that puts restrictions on
    the SW and web access these teachers can run. This is really no
    different than a business where the bad stuff is locked out
    whenever an employee uses company-owned HW or systems.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Efficiency is doing things right, effectiveness is doing the
    right things" - Peter Drucker

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 19, 2008

  2. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= added these comments in the current
    discussion du jour ...

    > HEMI give me an email addy. I have some info... Thanks for
    > your reply.

    don't think so. first, I don't kiss on a first date but never do
    with a Google grouper. you will likely get more cogent and pithy
    replies if you perhaps spend a little more time on independent
    research AFTER talking some with the management of your school,
    e.g., principal, superintendent, director of IT, legal weanie and
    the like.

    the last 5 1/2 years of my career was in the area of info
    security. I was somewhat familiar with the principles involved
    when appointed to the position but on the vary narrow area of
    certain kinds of CAD data. so, the first thing I did was a deep
    dive with the search capabilities of the Internet, such that they
    were in 1996.today, it is far easier.

    if your "management" thinks this is a big enough problem, you may
    want to consider hiring a time-and-material fee forensics and
    Cyber security contractor to learn the lay of the land and
    determine the extent of your problem beyond the obvious you've
    already stated.

    I will reply here, though, if you have questions/comments for
    which I have reasonable non-cynical observations. good luck, I
    think you may need it.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 20, 2008