Re: First time home wireless - how to match PC to router - setup question

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Roger Harrison, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:34:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > Then the IP addresses are NOT visible and cannot be sniffed over the
    > air. Obscuring and limiting the IP addresses would be effective.
    > However, as I pointed out, a physical attack on any client will
    > extract a usable WPA key, which can then be used to decrypt a capture
    > file, and thus extract the necessary IP addresses.

    By "physical", do you mean hands'on access to the router & the PC machine?
    If it matters, I also change my "pre-shared key" weekly (it's just a long
    string of gibberish which I ad hoc write down on paper and then set my
    machines to every Sunday).

    >>> 2. What's the LAN netmask?

    >>On the router, it is 255.255.255.0

    > So, you have 254 available IP addresses.

    Oh no! I did not realize that. I change both the router starting IP address
    and the router login address every Sunday. For example, I just changed to a
    starting IP address of 192.168.120.134 and I changed to a router login
    address of 192.168.200.134.

    One question: Do I have to use 192.168.xxx.xxx? Can I use, for example,
    123.123.123.123 as my router login address and, for example,
    231.123.101.201 to 231.123.101.203 as my 3 available DHCP addresses?

    Even so, what is the logic of the Linksys router question asking how many
    IP addresses I wish to limit it to while the netmask should have done that
    already? I'm confused because you say a netmask of 255.255.255.0 allows way
    more than 3 IP addresses.

    > I presume that you also change the IP address of the default gateway
    > weekly.

    Yes. And the MAC address & hostname of BOTH the router and the windows PC's
    because I read a good hacker can see both the router and the pc behind the
    router.

    > I note that you do not mention changing the WPA shared key every week

    That's what started this whole thing actually. I learned I should change my
    pre-shared-key - and - while I was there, I figured I may as well change
    everything I could. I even changed all the beacon and interval numbers but
    then the router didn't work so I had to reset the router and go more slowly
    with the changes of everything I could.

    > You might want to look at the available tools to see what can be
    > (easily) accomplished.

    I tried airsnare to see if I could find out who was connecting to me, which
    installed ethereal and winpcap, but I can't get it to capture anything yet,
    not even things on my own network. So I must be doing something wrong.

    >>> 3. Where's the DHCP address pool?

    > So, with those settings, your DHCP address pool is
    > .100 through .102. However, because you don't have the netmask on
    > the LAN side set to something less than /24, an evil hacker (like me)
    > can easily set their client computah to use any of the *OTHER* 251 IP
    > addresses, which will work just fine.

    Oh. Should I use a different netmask to limit the "hidden" allowable IP
    addresses?

    >>> 4. Is there a MAC address filter?

    >>Yes.

    > A few seconds sniffing will reveal the MAC addresses in use.
    > Ethereal, Wireshark, Kismet, and even Netstumbler will reveal
    > all the MAC addresses in use.

    You know, since I am on winxp, I tried Network Stumbler (actually the
    hacked netcrumbler which allows connections at the same time) and all I see
    is the MAC address of my access point. I do NOT see the MAC address of any
    client machines. Does netstumbler really provide the MAC addresses of the
    client machines?

    And, with Ethereal, when I say "Capture > Options > MyWirelessCard", and
    then "Capture > Start", all I get is a "Captured Packets" window that never
    captures anything.

    I can't believe I'm (accidentally) so secure that Ethereal can't capture my
    packets nor Netstumbler will find my windows pc MAC address. So, I must be
    doing something wrong.

    >>> 5. Any 802.1x authentication? RADIUS authorization/authentication?

    >>I just use WPA2-PSK.

    > Then you have a problem.
    > the weak link is the encrypted WPA key stored on the client

    Oh no. I must research this radius thing. I am a home user. I thought
    Radius (whatever it is) was for office users. I must look this up. Thank
    you for the pointer.

    >>> 6. Any secure tunnels (VPN)?

    >>No, I am not using VPN.

    > That's the way you get real security.

    I'm confused. I use VPN when connecting to my company but I thought VPN
    needed a client and a server. On a home network, if I used vpn, my PC would
    be the client but could the Linksys WRT54G router act as the server?

    > once they have the encryption key, the other security measures are little
    > better than putting a "do not enter" sign on the door. It wouldn't
    > stop even a beginner.

    I'll keep this in mind and try to secure my pre-shared keys and change them
    more often and make them even longer now.

    > You didn't mention anything about logging. Putting a lock on the
    > door doesn't buy you much if you don't check the lock regularly.
    > That's what logging does. When something unusual appears on your
    > network, you would want to know about it. For simple Linksys
    > wireless, see AirSnare:
    > <http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/>

    I'm still trying to get AirSnare to work. It gives an error which I'm
    trying to figure out.

    > 4. If your wireless operations is only during business hours, setup a
    > timer to disable the wireless during off hours. The evil hackers
    > (like me) prefer operating under cover of darkness.

    Interesting. I never thought of that!

    This is a WONDERFUL discussion! I very much appreciate your expert (super
    expert in fact) advice!
    Roger Harrison, Jun 18, 2007

  2. Roger Harrison <> hath wroth:

    >On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:34:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    >> Then the IP addresses are NOT visible and cannot be sniffed over the
    >> air. Obscuring and limiting the IP addresses would be effective.
    >> However, as I pointed out, a physical attack on any client will
    >> extract a usable WPA key, which can then be used to decrypt a capture
    >> file, and thus extract the necessary IP addresses.

    >By "physical", do you mean hands'on access to the router & the PC machine?

    Yes. If I can get my hands on the machine, I can extract enough
    information to enable me to connect to your network. Simple things
    like having the screen blanker demand a password will slow me down
    considerably. However, if I can boot the machine with my favorite
    cracker CDROM, I can bypass almost all the Windoze security features.
    There are pleny of Linux boot CDROM's (and floppies) that will mount
    an NTFS filesystem, and neatly extract the registry files. They can
    also edit the registry which includes changing the administrator
    password.

    >If it matters, I also change my "pre-shared key" weekly (it's just a long
    >string of gibberish which I ad hoc write down on paper and then set my
    >machines to every Sunday).

    That's fine, but again, if I have physical access, I can extract the
    key from the registry.

    There may be another problem here. If the WPA key is short enough
    that you can scribble it down, and pound it into several machines plus
    your router, it must be fairly short. Be advised that short pass
    phrases can be cracked by brute force. I believe that 20 characters
    minimum is considered best practices.

    Also, be sure to hide or destroy the paper you scribbled down the pass
    phrase. My all time winning clueless customer would reassign
    passwords monthly, and then post the list on a bulletin board so that
    everyone was informed of the changes. It took a while to explain what
    was wrong with that procedure.

    >>>On the router, it is 255.255.255.0

    >> So, you have 254 available IP addresses.

    >Oh no! I did not realize that. I change both the router starting IP address
    >and the router login address every Sunday. For example, I just changed to a
    >starting IP address of 192.168.120.134 and I changed to a router login
    >address of 192.168.200.134.

    If you're going to do all that (not recommended) please read up on how
    netmask and IP subnets operate. There are numerous calculators
    online. You can't just pick an IP address at random. This looks
    acceptable:
    <http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/index.aspx#SubNetCalc>
    The router IP address must be within the netmask IP address range or
    the client cannot connect. Most router firmware is smart enough to
    inform you that you might be unable to connect if you plant it outside
    the netmask range. However, some don't and you'll find yourself
    unable to access the router. Punching the reset button will recover,
    but you should save a settings back file to make recovery easier.

    >One question: Do I have to use 192.168.xxx.xxx?

    The available RFC1918 IP addresses are:
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
    If you pick anything outside of these ranges, you run the risk of
    duplicating the address of some internet user or server. That's why
    these were reserved for your use. They don't route anywhere.

    Some routers will demand that you use one of these, because they have
    preconfigured anti-spoofing filters with these addresses
    pre-configured. If someone tries to pretend that they're on your
    inside LAN, but is connected via the WAN (internet) port, these
    filters will stop them. If you pick something outside of the
    acceptable IP ranges, they won't.

    >Can I use, for example,
    >123.123.123.123 as my router login address and, for example,
    >231.123.101.201 to 231.123.101.203 as my 3 available DHCP addresses?

    No. Two problems. The first I explained in the previous paragraph on
    the use of RFC1918 non-routeable IP addresses. The 2nd I explained a
    bit earlier in that the IP address of the router MUST be within the
    netmask range. If you use 123.123.123.123 as your router's IP
    address, then the DHCP range must be between 123.123.123.0 and
    123.123.123.255 for the default netmask of 255.255.255.0.

    >Even so, what is the logic of the Linksys router question asking how many
    >IP addresses I wish to limit it to while the netmask should have done that
    >already?

    254 usable IP addresses is a rather small sandbox to play inside if
    you have a large network. Running out DHCP addresses to assign is a
    common problem. By limiting the number of assignable IP's in the
    pool, more devices can be accomidated. In other words, DHCP range
    limiting was never intended to be some kind of security feature.

    >I'm confused because you say a netmask of 255.255.255.0 allows way
    >more than 3 IP addresses.

    Correct. It allows 253 IP addresses plus one for the IP address of
    the router plus another one is the broacast address. All DHCP does is
    deliver a unique IP address, gateway, DNS servers, and a mess of other
    junk depending on system, to the client. If the client already has a
    static IP address, and knows the DNS servers and gateway IP, then they
    don't need anything from the DHCP server. Again, DHCP is NOT a
    security feature.

    >> I presume that you also change the IP address of the default gateway
    >> weekly.

    >Yes. And the MAC address & hostname of BOTH the router and the windows PC's
    >because I read a good hacker can see both the router and the pc behind the
    >router.

    Sorta. By sniffing the internet traffic, I can watch the sequence
    numbers and deduce the number of clients hidden behind your NAT
    router. However, unless you've left open IP ports, or your router has
    a security problem, I cannot "see" anything behind your NAT router.
    Sniffing the WAN side traffic will NOT show any internal MAC or IP
    addresses as these appear as if everything were coming from the
    routers WAN IP and MAC address. Try it. Plant a hub (not a switch)
    between your router and your DSL or cable modem. Sniff with Wireshark
    or Ethereal. See any MAC's or IP's from the LAN side of the router? I
    hope not.

    >> I note that you do not mention changing the WPA shared key every week

    >That's what started this whole thing actually. I learned I should change my
    >pre-shared-key - and - while I was there, I figured I may as well change
    >everything I could. I even changed all the beacon and interval numbers but
    >then the router didn't work so I had to reset the router and go more slowly
    >with the changes of everything I could.

    Chuckle. My domain is LearnByDestroying.com. Welcome to the club. I
    also like to change things to see what happens. Incidentally, when I
    worked in engineering many years ago, the drafting department gave me
    a "change everything" rubber stamp as a present.

    As I said in my previous rant, your primary and probably sole real
    security feature is the WPA or WPA2 shared key. That's should be the
    only thing of importance here. If that's compromised, I can work
    around all the other tricks you've mentioned.

    >> You might want to look at the available tools to see what can be
    >> (easily) accomplished.

    >I tried airsnare to see if I could find out who was connecting to me, which
    >installed ethereal and winpcap, but I can't get it to capture anything yet,
    >not even things on my own network. So I must be doing something wrong.

    If you did this on a Windoze machine, it won't work. The monitor or
    promiscuous modes are conspicuously absent in Windoze NDIS drivers.
    That's not a problem with Linux drivers, but you have to pick and
    choose your hardware carefully. There is a wireless Windoze
    workaround at:
    <http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap.htm>
    However, if you used an ethernet port to do the sniffing, you should
    have been able to see packets from the entire network with Windoze.

    Another common problem, especially with AirSnare is that users try to
    use an ethernet switch instead of a hub for sniffing. A switch will
    only show traffic coming or going to/from the port that the sniffer is
    plugged into. All other traffic never goes to this port. So, you see
    nothing. Either use a hub, which is really a repeater that repeats
    everything going into any port to all the other ports, or get a high
    end ethernet switch that has a configurable monitor port.

    >> So, with those settings, your DHCP address pool is
    >> .100 through .102. However, because you don't have the netmask on
    >> the LAN side set to something less than /24, an evil hacker (like me)
    >> can easily set their client computah to use any of the *OTHER* 251 IP
    >> addresses, which will work just fine.

    >Oh. Should I use a different netmask to limit the "hidden" allowable IP
    >addresses?

    Yep. That's what I've been trying to explain for the last 3 messages.
    Using DHCP to limit available IP's with a /25 netmask doesn't work.

    >>>Yes.

    >> A few seconds sniffing will reveal the MAC addresses in use.
    >> Ethereal, Wireshark, Kismet, and even Netstumbler will reveal
    >> all the MAC addresses in use.

    >You know, since I am on winxp, I tried Network Stumbler (actually the
    >hacked netcrumbler which allows connections at the same time) and all I see
    >is the MAC address of my access point. I do NOT see the MAC address of any
    >client machines. Does netstumbler really provide the MAC addresses of the
    >client machines?

    No. Netstumbler is NOT a passive sniffer. It's an active probe that
    sends probe request broadcasts which only the access points respond.
    Netstumbler will not show clients. There are some kludges for Windoze
    that do this, but I prefer to use a Linux LiveCD. I suggest using:
    <http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html>
    Boot it and run kismet, which is a passive sniffer. That should show
    client MAC addresses (if you have a compatible wireless card).

    >And, with Ethereal, when I say "Capture > Options > MyWirelessCard", and
    >then "Capture > Start", all I get is a "Captured Packets" window that never
    >captures anything.

    I'm not going to try and troubleshoot Ethereal or Wireshark via
    newsgroup. See section 7 of the FAQ at:
    <http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html>

    >I can't believe I'm (accidentally) so secure that Ethereal can't capture my
    >packets nor Netstumbler will find my windows pc MAC address. So, I must be
    >doing something wrong.

    I can't tell from here. I had plenty of trouble figuring out how to
    use Ethereal and then Wireshark. After you start capturing packets,
    your next headache will be filters or you'll be buried in too much
    data.

    >>>I just use WPA2-PSK.

    >> Then you have a problem.
    >> the weak link is the encrypted WPA key stored on the client

    >Oh no. I must research this radius thing. I am a home user. I thought
    >Radius (whatever it is) was for office users. I must look this up. Thank
    >you for the pointer.

    RADIUS usually is for office use. It has many advantages, but it's
    big and ugly. Too big for inclusion inside most cheapo routers. There
    are some that have built in RADIUS servers, but most do not. Most home
    users do not need the level of security you're attempting. Again,
    encryption is your primary security device. RADIUS offers a method of
    delivering unique encryption keys per session so you don't have to
    screw with fabricating a shared key, protecting it, and changing it
    erratically. In my opinion, you don't need it for home use. Just use
    the WPA key and keep it well protected.

    >>>No, I am not using VPN.

    >> That's the way you get real security.

    >I'm confused. I use VPN when connecting to my company but I thought VPN
    >needed a client and a server. On a home network, if I used vpn, my PC would
    >be the client but could the Linksys WRT54G router act as the server?

    I wasn't thinking of it lack that. I actually do just that at one
    clients. The wireless network is unencrypted and looks wide open.
    However, to connect to the inside office network, you have fire up an
    IPSec VPN client, which connects to a VPN gateway on the wireless LAN.
    It's quite secure.

    You could do something like that if you really want. I do but for
    totally different reasons. I have a WRT54GS in both my palatial
    office and house. They run DD-WRT V23 SP2 and SP3 respectively. Try
    it:
    <https://home.LearnByDestroying.com:8080>
    <https://office.LearnByDestroying.com:8080>
    Both have PPTP VPN clients and servers. I often have the two routers
    connect to each other, thus forming a VPN tunnel, which makes my
    office and home network look like one big LAN. Very handy for working
    at home. I also use the VPN PPTP termination for checking my email
    when I'm on a laptop at a public hotspot. All the traffic is
    encrypted by the tunnel, so hotspot sniffing is useless.

    Incidentally, not all WRT54G routers can handle alternative Linux
    firmware. Look on the serial number tag and disclose the hardware
    revision number. See:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g>
    for details.

    >> once they have the encryption key, the other security measures are little
    >> better than putting a "do not enter" sign on the door. It wouldn't
    >> stop even a beginner.

    >I'll keep this in mind and try to secure my pre-shared keys and change them
    >more often and make them even longer now.

    I'm not getting through to you. Leave the encryption key alone for a
    while. Change it every few months if you must. Forget about the
    other methods of security by obstacle course. They only get in the
    way. Use some form of monitoring to determine what your network is
    doing and who is on it.

    >> You didn't mention anything about logging. Putting a lock on the
    >> door doesn't buy you much if you don't check the lock regularly.
    >> That's what logging does. When something unusual appears on your
    >> network, you would want to know about it. For simple Linksys
    >> wireless, see AirSnare:
    >> <http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/>

    >I'm still trying to get AirSnare to work. It gives an error which I'm
    >trying to figure out.
    >
    >> 4. If your wireless operations is only during business hours, setup a
    >> timer to disable the wireless during off hours. The evil hackers
    >> (like me) prefer operating under cover of darkness.

    >Interesting. I never thought of that!
    >
    >This is a WONDERFUL discussion! I very much appreciate your expert (super
    >expert in fact) advice!

    You might want to read the FAQ for alt.internet.wireless.
    FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
    FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>
    Wi-Fi How To: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_HowTo>
    Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_Fixes>

    --
    Jeff Liebermann
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Jeff Liebermann, Jun 18, 2007

  3. On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:47:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > if I have physical access, I can extract the key from the registry.

    Thanks to you, I am now better informed. I would assume this
    WPA2-Pre-shared-key can also be extracted with a "virus" or a "trojan" ...
    Is that correct?

    > I believe that 20 characters minimum is considered best practices.

    I just type away on the router to set the key and then write it down to
    bring to the PCs. These pre-shared keys are around 20 or 25 characters but
    I'll go longer from now on now that I know it's the holy grail.

    >>One question: Do I have to use 192.168.xxx.xxx?

    > 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
    > 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
    > 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
    > They don't route anywhere.

    Interesting. Very interesting. I think I'll rotate through these additional
    addresses in my Sunday changes. I'll read up on the netmask stuff as it
    seems to be the opposite of what I thought originally. Thanks.

    > DHCP range limiting was never intended to be [a] security feature.

    Bummer. Got it.

    > when I worked in engineering many years ago, the drafting department
    > gave me a "change everything" rubber stamp as a present.

    I believe it!

    > As I said in my previous rant, your primary and probably sole real
    > security feature is the WPA or WPA2 shared key.

    I'll spend more time making the WPA2-PSK key longer and harder to guess.
    I've been using all the funky characters and I will try to use at least 30
    characters each week.

    >There is a wireless Windoze workaround at:
    > <http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap.htm>

    I'll check this suggestion out as I am very interested in seeing my first
    packets ever!

    > Either use a hub, which is really a repeater that repeats
    > everything going into any port to all the other ports, or get a high
    > end ethernet switch that has a configurable monitor port.]

    All I have is a windows pc with a wireless router. I don't know about
    "hubs" or "switches". Presumably the router is both a hub and a switch.

    > Yep. That's what I've been trying to explain for the last 3 messages.
    > Using DHCP to limit available IP's with a /25 netmask doesn't work.

    As I said, and as you said, I need to bone up on the netmask!

    >> Does netstumbler really provide the MAC addresses of the
    >> client machines?

    > No. Netstumbler is NOT a passive sniffer.
    > I suggest using backtrack & kismet.
    > That should show client MAC addresses

    I think I'll set up a separate spare PC for that as it sounds interesting.
    I also have Knoppix CDs so I might see if I can somehow use Knoppix with
    Kismet.

    > I often have the two routers
    > connect to each other, thus forming a VPN tunnel,
    > which makes my office and home network look like one big LAN.
    > All the traffic is encrypted by the tunnel, so hotspot sniffing
    > is useless.
    > They run DD-WRT V23 SP2 and SP3 respectively. Try it:
    > <https://home.LearnByDestroying.com:8080>

    I saw "Suzy", "micron", and "BLITZEN". :)

    > Use some form of monitoring to determine what your network is
    > doing and who is on it.

    Got it. I'm working on that as noted above.

    > You might want to read the FAQ for alt.internet.wireless.
    > FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
    > FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>
    > Wi-Fi How To: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_HowTo>
    > Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_Fixes>

    Will do! Thanks!

    I hope to learn more and more and more so I'll go quiet a while so I can
    learn without troubling others!
    Roger Harrison, Jun 18, 2007
  4. Roger Harrison <> hath wroth:

    >On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:47:58 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    >> if I have physical access, I can extract the key from the registry.

    >Thanks to you, I am now better informed. I would assume this
    >WPA2-Pre-shared-key can also be extracted with a "virus" or a "trojan" ...
    >Is that correct?

    Yes, I think they can. I don't know of any that do that, but it could
    be done. I don't think that's the danger. Walking up to the computah
    with a USB dongle and script, and extracting the registry keys, is all
    that's required. I think I saw it being done in a busy coffee shop,
    but I'm not sure. No keyboard entry required, just an autorun.inf
    file and a VBS script.

    >I'll spend more time making the WPA2-PSK key longer and harder to guess.
    >I've been using all the funky characters and I will try to use at least 30
    >characters each week.

    John Navas posts this regularly to alt.internet.wireless on selection
    of WPA keys.
    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/631f552840a5bb12>

    >> Yep. That's what I've been trying to explain for the last 3 messages.
    >> Using DHCP to limit available IP's with a /25 netmask doesn't work.

    >As I said, and as you said, I need to bone up on the netmask!

    Oops. I mean't /24 network (256 IP's).

    >> No. Netstumbler is NOT a passive sniffer.
    >> I suggest using backtrack & kismet.
    >> That should show client MAC addresses

    >I think I'll set up a separate spare PC for that as it sounds interesting.
    >I also have Knoppix CDs so I might see if I can somehow use Knoppix with
    >Kismet.

    Backtrack is based on Knoppix. If Knoppix works, then Backtrack
    probably will also work. The difference is that the Backtrack CDROM
    has all the nifty hacker tools already installed, working, and tested.

    >> They run DD-WRT V23 SP2 and SP3 respectively. Try it:
    >> <https://home.LearnByDestroying.com:8080>

    >I saw "Suzy", "micron", and "BLITZEN". :)

    Suzy is a neighbors laptop. The one labelled * is another laptop at
    the same location, but that has no visible machine name. Micron is a
    kids desktop at a different neighbor. Blitzen is a customers laptop
    on my desk which is currently driving me insane. Note that the list
    only includes clients that are issued DHCP addresses. If the client
    uses a static IP address, it will NOT show up on the list.

    Ooops. I forgot to disable listing of the full MAC address. (fixed).

    >I hope to learn more and more and more so I'll go quiet a while so I can
    >learn without troubling others!

    Good luck.

    Jeff Liebermann, Jun 18, 2007