Re: First Eagle Shot Of The Season!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by T Gail, Oct 7, 2010.

  1. T Gail

    T Gail Guest

    On Sep 6, 11:26 am, Allen <> wrote:
    > Larry Thong wrote:
    > > It looks like eagle season on the East Coast is starting early this year.  I
    > > wasn't ready for it, but was glad I had my trusty dSLR in hand when I
    > > spotted this big guy above.  He must be an old timer as he's the biggest one
    > > I've ever seen.  Anyone else spot eagles this time of year?

    > > <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Eagle.jpg>

    > Tell it to watch out for kids with long sticks.
    > Allen

    LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!
    T Gail, Oct 7, 2010

  2. T Gail

    me Guest

    me, Oct 11, 2010

  3. T Gail

    peter Guest

    peter, Oct 16, 2010
  4. T Gail

    me Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:42:26 -0400, peter
    <> wrote:

    >On 10/11/2010 12:04 PM, me wrote:
    >> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), T Gail<>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!

    >> Those of us further from the DC phonies' sphere of influence prefer
    >> the real thing.
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06 misc/slides/_DSC3857_1024.html
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06 misc/slides/_DSC3858_1024.html

    >Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

    Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
    morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
    and spooked it.
    me, Oct 16, 2010
  5. T Gail

    peter Guest

    On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:42:26 -0400, peter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/11/2010 12:04 PM, me wrote:

    >>> Those of us further from the DC phonies' sphere of influence prefer
    >>> the real thing.
    >>>
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06 misc/slides/_DSC3857_1024.html
    >>>
    >>> http://edwardgruf.com/2010-10-06 misc/slides/_DSC3858_1024.html

    >> Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

    > Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
    > morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
    > and spooked it.

    Bummer.

    Why were you interfering with their picnic.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 16, 2010
  6. T Gail

    peter Guest

    On 10/16/2010 11:36 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2010-10-16 08:26:05 -0700, peter <> said:
    >
    >> On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:

    >>> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
    >>> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
    >>> and spooked it.

    >> Bummer.
    >>
    >> Why were you interfering with their picnic.

    > What do you think the two women did when they noticed a fat lens poking
    > through the foliage?
    > The screams must have resonated all the way to Washington!
    >
    > Ed would have been lucky to get away, let alone gat another eagle shot. :)

    The easiest way to reserve a picnic table is to just stand still facing
    a tree near the table with your elbows bent out. Few women will
    approach. If they do, you might have an unplanned picnic, of a different
    type. ;-)

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 16, 2010
  7. T Gail

    me Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:26:05 -0400, peter
    <> wrote:

    >On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:42:26 -0400, peter
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Nice captures. Where did yo get them.

    >> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
    >> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
    >> and spooked it.

    >Bummer.
    >
    >Why were you interfering with their picnic.

    Actually, they were interfering with my photography.

    The eagle was in the tree at the center of this:
    http://tinyurl.com/2cw35e5

    I had just pulled up in the parking lot for a normal dog get together
    and two folks all ready there mentioned the eagle in the tree and
    asked if I had "Hubble" with me. One of the guys calls my 200-400 f/4
    Hubble. I always bring it on the weekend dog outings, so I grabbed it
    and headed off to spot the bird, then cautiously approach. As I was
    circling around form the east to get the rising sun behind me to give
    better light for the shot the women crossed behind me looking at the
    picnic tables to the left. I figured they were far enough away and
    there was enough foliage in the tree not to scare the eagle away.
    However, as I finally was getting in position with decent light they
    must have started walking to the table directly under the eagle
    thereby spooking it. Not totally unlike taking 15-20 min to approach
    something up in the Shenendoah only to have a car pullup, a few P&Sers
    get out and come rushing into the field you been working and scaring
    off a new fawn.

    The small beach strip to the right is mainly where ad hoc dog parties
    happens although we have stayed in the picnic area when the biting
    flys get bad.

    http://edwardgruf.com/dogs_2010/2010-09-04_yorktown_am/index.html

    IIRC we've had over a dozen dogs on a few occasions. I've told my vet
    about the gatherings and she has recommended them to dogs needing some
    socialization. The picnic area will close for the season at the end of
    the month and once again it will mainly be left to a much smaller
    group of people. Can't wait!
    me, Oct 16, 2010
  8. T Gail

    peter Guest

    On 10/16/2010 12:38 PM, me wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:26:05 -0400, peter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/16/2010 10:47 AM, me wrote:

    >>> Yortown, VA. Unfortunately as I walked around the tree to get into the
    >>> morning lit side a pair of women staking out a picnic table passed me
    >>> and spooked it.

    >> Bummer.
    >>
    >> Why were you interfering with their picnic.

    > Actually, they were interfering with my photography.

    Sorry you missed my sarcasm.

    > The eagle was in the tree at the center of this:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2cw35e5
    >
    > I had just pulled up in the parking lot for a normal dog get together
    > and two folks all ready there mentioned the eagle in the tree and
    > asked if I had "Hubble" with me. One of the guys calls my 200-400 f/4
    > Hubble. I always bring it on the weekend dog outings, so I grabbed it
    > and headed off to spot the bird, then cautiously approach. As I was
    > circling around form the east to get the rising sun behind me to give
    > better light for the shot the women crossed behind me looking at the
    > picnic tables to the left. I figured they were far enough away and
    > there was enough foliage in the tree not to scare the eagle away.
    > However, as I finally was getting in position with decent light they
    > must have started walking to the table directly under the eagle
    > thereby spooking it. Not totally unlike taking 15-20 min to approach
    > something up in the Shenendoah only to have a car pullup, a few P&Sers
    > get out and come rushing into the field you been working and scaring
    > off a new fawn.
    >
    > The small beach strip to the right is mainly where ad hoc dog parties
    > happens although we have stayed in the picnic area when the biting
    > flys get bad.
    >
    > http://edwardgruf.com/dogs_2010/2010-09-04_yorktown_am/index.html
    >
    > IIRC we've had over a dozen dogs on a few occasions. I've told my vet
    > about the gatherings and she has recommended them to dogs needing some
    > socialization. The picnic area will close for the season at the end of
    > the month and once again it will mainly be left to a much smaller
    > group of people. Can't wait!

    Happens regularly & goes with the territory. I Went to a covered bridge
    today, just South of Kent Falls, I finally got set and some kids
    insisted on getting right in front of me. They have as much right to be
    there as I do. Just makes shooting a little more difficult. I got no
    shots of the bridge, some interesting water patterns & a bruised knee
    when I stepped on hat I thought was solid ground.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 17, 2010