Re: Firefox profiles

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. Stuart Crow wrote:
    > I have been reading in this ng that when people have problems with FF
    > they should create and use a new profile.
    > Why should this be necessary ?
    >
    > I have problems downloading, I left click the Download button and I
    > just get a blank page with Done in the left of the Status bar.
    >
    > If I create a new profile to see if this will fix it, what about
    > Bookmarks, passwords etc that are set in my present profile ?
    > Can I 'Import' them ?
    > TIA

    you create a test profile to see if the problem continues in
    that profile. If the problem does continue, then you should
    be looking somewhere else besides Firefox, for example that
    other programs are you running in the background. If the
    problem doesn't continue in the new profile, then you know
    there is something wrong with the old profile. See Ed's
    message for possible causes.

    If you don't want to track down what the problem is, then
    you can copy files such as bookmarks, passwords, etc, over
    from the old profile to the new one and start using the new.
    Its not as hard as some people think it is. Once that is
    done, then any extensions you have, should be reinstalled
    one at a time.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 17, 2008