Re: Firefox in linux, sucks?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Apr 24, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The §nühw¤£f Post:
    > Or maybe I expect too much from my apps? When i exit FF in either
    > Linux or Micro$0ft it keeps these annoying connections open. In
    > Windoze its easy enough to kill with TCPVeiw, but why should it keep
    > any connections open anyway? With linux I have to kill the dhcp
    > process to get it to quit chatting with wtf-ever it is. Hey, the
    > modem lights dont lie! When I close an app...I want to CLOSE it and
    > have the bastard stop chatting behind my motherfucking back.
    > So, wtf is wrong with firefox?
    >
    > ^_^

    You're a Windows person.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Apr 24, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:38:04 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The ?n?hw??f Post:
    >>> Or maybe I expect too much from my apps? When i exit FF in either
    >>> Linux or Micro$0ft it keeps these annoying connections open. In
    >>> Windoze its easy enough to kill with TCPVeiw, but why should it keep
    >>> any connections open anyway? With linux I have to kill the dhcp
    >>> process to get it to quit chatting with wtf-ever it is. Hey, the
    >>> modem lights dont lie! When I close an app...I want to CLOSE it and
    >>> have the bastard stop chatting behind my motherfucking back.
    >>> So, wtf is wrong with firefox?
    >>>
    >>> ^_^
    >>>

    >> You're a Windows person.

    > I guess Wolfie is too dumb to understand what TIME_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT,
    > ESTABLISHED and other socket state status messages mean and how packet
    > TTL influences the closing process.

    I'm sure he is a brilliant man, but the type that doesn't have the
    common sense to pour the piss out of his boot.

    OldGringo38, Apr 24, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    §nühw¤£f Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:47:51 -0600, OldGringo38 <>
    wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:
    >> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:38:04 -0500, OldGringo38
    >> <>wrote:
    >>
    >>> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The ?n?hw??f Post:

    >>> You're a Windows person.

    >> I guess Wolfie is too dumb to understand what TIME_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT,
    >> ESTABLISHED and other socket state status messages mean and how packet
    >> TTL influences the closing process.

    > I'm sure he is a brilliant man, but the type that doesn't have the
    > common sense to pour the piss out of his boot.

    Translation: none of you mofos knows how to control firefox.

    Got it.

    <nods>

    --
    Force and fraud are in war the two cardinal virtues.
    -Thomas Hobbes

    §nühw¤£f, Apr 24, 2010
  4. OldGringo38

    Mike Litoris Guest

    §nühw¤£f wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:47:51 -0600, OldGringo38 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:

    >>> I guess Wolfie is too dumb to understand what TIME_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT,
    >>> ESTABLISHED and other socket state status messages mean and how packet
    >>> TTL influences the closing process.

    >> I'm sure he is a brilliant man, but the type that doesn't have the
    >> common sense to pour the piss out of his boot.
    >>

    > Translation: none of you mofos knows how to control firefox.
    >
    > Got it.
    >
    > <nods>

    Having read your original poast, you don't know how to control firefox,
    either.

    --
    \|/

    Mike Litoris, Apr 25, 2010
  5. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The §nühw¤£f Post:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:47:51 -0600, OldGringo38
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:

    >>> I guess Wolfie is too dumb to understand what TIME_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT,
    >>> ESTABLISHED and other socket state status messages mean and how packet
    >>> TTL influences the closing process.

    >> I'm sure he is a brilliant man, but the type that doesn't have the
    >> common sense to pour the piss out of his boot.
    >>

    > Translation: none of you mofos knows how to control firefox.
    >
    > Got it.
    >
    > <nods>

    Firefox is my default browser, and Thunderbird is my default
    email/news reader. I also run the Pre RC's for both. I tried Ubuntu
    a few years back and decided it was to European for me. <g>

    OldGringo38, Apr 25, 2010
  6. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:26:03 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > I tried Ubuntu a few years
    > back and decided it was to European for me. <g>

    Huh???? European???? WTF does *that* mean???

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 25, 2010
  7. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:26:03 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> I tried Ubuntu a few years
    >> back and decided it was to European for me.<g>

    > Huh???? European???? WTF does *that* mean???

    LMAO And all this time I thought you knew everything. Just like
    Opera, brilliant piece of software, but way to European for me. :)
    If my brain is required to think more than twice in an hour my
    glasses get steamed up. Not to worry Aardvark all will be well.

    OldGringo38, Apr 25, 2010
  8. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:12:14 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    >> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:26:03 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried Ubuntu a few years
    >>> back and decided it was to European for me.<g>

    >> Huh???? European???? WTF does *that* mean???
    >>

    > LMAO And all this time I thought you knew everything.

    Far from it.

    > Just like Opera,
    > brilliant piece of software, but way to European for me. :) If my brain
    > is required to think more than twice in an hour my glasses get steamed
    > up.

    Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though. I'm
    still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.

    > Not to worry Aardvark all will be well.

    It always is in the end.

    :)

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 25, 2010
  9. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-04-25, Aardvark <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:12:14 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> Huh???? European???? WTF does *that* mean???
    >>>

    >> LMAO And all this time I thought you knew everything.

    > Far from it.
    >
    >> Just like Opera,
    >> brilliant piece of software, but way to European for me. :) If my brain
    >> is required to think more than twice in an hour my glasses get steamed
    >> up.

    > Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though. I'm
    > still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.
    >
    >> Not to worry Aardvark all will be well.

    > It always is in the end.
    >
    > :)

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)>

    Ubuntu is an ethic or humanist philosophy focusing on people's
    allegiances and relations with each other. The word has its origin in
    the Bantu languages of southern Africa. Ubuntu is seen as a classical
    African concept. The Ubuntu operating system was named for this
    principle.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Experience_ubuntu.ogg>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 25, 2010
  10. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:19:57 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2010-04-25, Aardvark <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:12:14 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> LMAO And all this time I thought you knew everything.

    >> Far from it.
    >>
    >>> Just like Opera,
    >>> brilliant piece of software, but way to European for me. :) If my
    >>> brain is required to think more than twice in an hour my glasses get
    >>> steamed up.

    >> Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though.
    >> I'm still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.
    >>
    >>> Not to worry Aardvark all will be well.

    >> It always is in the end.
    >>
    >> :)

    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)>
    >
    > Ubuntu is an ethic or humanist philosophy focusing on people's
    > allegiances and relations with each other. The word has its origin
    > in the Bantu languages of southern Africa. Ubuntu is seen as a
    > classical African concept. The Ubuntu operating system was named for
    > this principle.
    >
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Experience_ubuntu.ogg>

    Are you saying that OG meant that it was too 'African' for him, rather
    than too 'European'?

    :)

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 25, 2010
  11. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:12:14 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> Huh???? European???? WTF does *that* mean???
    >>>

    >> LMAO And all this time I thought you knew everything.

    > Far from it.
    >
    >> Just like Opera,
    >> brilliant piece of software, but way to European for me. :) If my brain
    >> is required to think more than twice in an hour my glasses get steamed
    >> up.

    > Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though. I'm
    > still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.

    Well lets see now, there seems to be a difference between the Windows
    OS and the Linux OS as there is a difference between Internet
    Explorer and Opera. Hoping that we both agree on that point, not
    having any formal training in any form of computer technology, I find
    the Linux OS and the Opera browser to be far more sophisticated than
    Windows and IE this being brought on by European technology. Now
    that said, lets just say the Linux OS and Opera browser although not
    beyond the grasp of the average computer operator they both are a
    little more complicated to set-up and this is what I refer to when I
    say to European for me. Which is a nice way to say I'm to fucking
    stupid to use either Linux or Opera because of the brain power
    involved. <g> I hope this helped.

    OldGringo38, Apr 25, 2010
  12. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:14:32 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    >> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:12:14 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> LMAO And all this time I thought you knew everything.

    >> Far from it.
    >>
    >>> Just like Opera,
    >>> brilliant piece of software, but way to European for me. :) If my
    >>> brain is required to think more than twice in an hour my glasses get
    >>> steamed up.

    >> Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though.
    >> I'm still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.

    > Well lets see now, there seems to be a difference between the Windows OS
    > and the Linux OS as there is a difference between Internet Explorer and
    > Opera. Hoping that we both agree on that point,

    Of course. Apple, meet orange.

    > not having any formal
    > training in any form of computer technology, I find the Linux OS and the
    > Opera browser to be far more sophisticated than Windows and IE this
    > being brought on by European technology.

    I've always, without fail, found that Ubuntu 'just works' although it
    takes a short while to get used to the Gnome interface when first
    encountering it. I've just installed and played with Opera for ten or
    fifteen minutes, and apart from going into the settings to change the home
    page, I didn't need to do anything to get it working (hell, I didn't even
    need to do *that*). I think it's very nippy and nicely minimal, and should
    think it requires much more thought than IE or FF. It's a real keeper and
    I'm sure I'll use it from time to time in the future. Thanks for the
    recommendation (of sorts :)).

    > Now that said, lets just say
    > the Linux OS and Opera browser although not beyond the grasp of the
    > average computer operator they both are a little more complicated to
    > set-up and this is what I refer to when I say to European for me.

    As I said, as far as Opera is concerned, it really required no setting up
    on my part at all, and the learning curve with Ubuntu was no steeper than
    the one I had to climb when first encountering Window$. Less so, in fact,
    as I already had some experience with computers by the time I first used
    Ubuntu. When I first used Windows, I'd never even seen a PC before. It
    took me about an hour to work out how to start an application from its
    shortcut on the desktop.

    > Which
    > is a nice way to say I'm to fucking stupid to use either Linux or Opera
    > because of the brain power involved. <g>

    I wouldn't say that. You must just be uncomfortable with new stuff, like
    many people.

    > I hope this helped.

    Sort of :)

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 25, 2010
  13. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:14:32 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> Far from it.

    >>> Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though.
    >>> I'm still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.

    >> Well lets see now, there seems to be a difference between the Windows OS
    >> and the Linux OS as there is a difference between Internet Explorer and
    >> Opera. Hoping that we both agree on that point,

    > Of course. Apple, meet orange.
    >
    >> not having any formal
    >> training in any form of computer technology, I find the Linux OS and the
    >> Opera browser to be far more sophisticated than Windows and IE this
    >> being brought on by European technology.

    > I've always, without fail, found that Ubuntu 'just works' although it
    > takes a short while to get used to the Gnome interface when first
    > encountering it. I've just installed and played with Opera for ten or
    > fifteen minutes, and apart from going into the settings to change the home
    > page, I didn't need to do anything to get it working (hell, I didn't even
    > need to do *that*). I think it's very nippy and nicely minimal, and should
    > think it requires much more thought than IE or FF. It's a real keeper and
    > I'm sure I'll use it from time to time in the future. Thanks for the
    > recommendation (of sorts :)).
    >
    >> Now that said, lets just say
    >> the Linux OS and Opera browser although not beyond the grasp of the
    >> average computer operator they both are a little more complicated to
    >> set-up and this is what I refer to when I say to European for me.

    > As I said, as far as Opera is concerned, it really required no setting up
    > on my part at all, and the learning curve with Ubuntu was no steeper than
    > the one I had to climb when first encountering Window$. Less so, in fact,
    > as I already had some experience with computers by the time I first used
    > Ubuntu. When I first used Windows, I'd never even seen a PC before. It
    > took me about an hour to work out how to start an application from its
    > shortcut on the desktop.
    >
    >> Which
    >> is a nice way to say I'm to fucking stupid to use either Linux or Opera
    >> because of the brain power involved.<g>

    > I wouldn't say that. You must just be uncomfortable with new stuff, like
    > many people.
    >
    >> I hope this helped.

    > Sort of :)

    Have a grand day and enjoy.

    OldGringo38, Apr 25, 2010
  14. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:26:03 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The ?n?hw??f Post:

    >>> Translation: none of you mofos knows how to control firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Got it.
    >>>
    >>> <nods>
    >>>

    >> Firefox is my default browser, and Thunderbird is my default
    >> email/news reader. I also run the Pre RC's for both. I tried Ubuntu
    >> a few years back and decided it was to European for me.<g>

    > Wonder what's wrong with Wolfie? Seems really out of it lately. Must
    > have caught a case of Leftarditis.

    There is a cactus that grows in his area that has new shoots this
    time of year. <g>

    OldGringo38, Apr 25, 2010
  15. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-04-25, Aardvark <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:19:57 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > Are you saying that OG meant that it was too 'African' for him, rather
    > than too 'European'?
    >
    > :)

    Either that or his notions of geography are a little hazy <G>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 25, 2010
  16. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:30:00 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Meat Plow Post:

    >>> Wonder what's wrong with Wolfie? Seems really out of it lately. Must
    >>> have caught a case of Leftarditis.

    >> There is a cactus that grows in his area that has new shoots this
    >> time of year.<g>

    > Ahhh good call. Is that a small cacti thats name begins with the
    > letter P?
    >
    > That sure would explain a lot of this bizarre behavior.

    That's the one. :)

    OldGringo38, Apr 25, 2010
  17. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:54:02 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > On 2010-04-25, Aardvark <> wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >> Are you saying that OG meant that it was too 'African' for him, rather
    >> than too 'European'?
    >>
    >> :)

    > Either that or his notions of geography are a little hazy <G>

    Well, he *is* an American.

    :)

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 25, 2010
  18. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:14:32 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Aardvark Post:

    >>> Far from it.

    >>> Still doesn't explain this particular definition of 'European' though.
    >>> I'm still at a loss as to what exactly you mean.

    >> Well lets see now, there seems to be a difference between the Windows OS
    >> and the Linux OS as there is a difference between Internet Explorer and
    >> Opera. Hoping that we both agree on that point,

    > Of course. Apple, meet orange.
    >
    >> not having any formal
    >> training in any form of computer technology, I find the Linux OS and the
    >> Opera browser to be far more sophisticated than Windows and IE this
    >> being brought on by European technology.

    > I've always, without fail, found that Ubuntu 'just works' although it
    > takes a short while to get used to the Gnome interface when first
    > encountering it. I've just installed and played with Opera for ten or
    > fifteen minutes, and apart from going into the settings to change the home
    > page, I didn't need to do anything to get it working (hell, I didn't even
    > need to do *that*). I think it's very nippy and nicely minimal, and should
    > think it requires much more thought than IE or FF. It's a real keeper and
    > I'm sure I'll use it from time to time in the future. Thanks for the
    > recommendation (of sorts :)).
    >
    >> Now that said, lets just say
    >> the Linux OS and Opera browser although not beyond the grasp of the
    >> average computer operator they both are a little more complicated to
    >> set-up and this is what I refer to when I say to European for me.

    > As I said, as far as Opera is concerned, it really required no setting up
    > on my part at all, and the learning curve with Ubuntu was no steeper than
    > the one I had to climb when first encountering Window$. Less so, in fact,
    > as I already had some experience with computers by the time I first used
    > Ubuntu. When I first used Windows, I'd never even seen a PC before. It
    > took me about an hour to work out how to start an application from its
    > shortcut on the desktop.
    >
    >> Which
    >> is a nice way to say I'm to fucking stupid to use either Linux or Opera
    >> because of the brain power involved.<g>

    > I wouldn't say that. You must just be uncomfortable with new stuff, like
    > many people.
    >
    >> I hope this helped.

    > Sort of :)

    Just found another example of European sitting in the garage for some
    time now. Mulberry email client. I got it to haphazardly get mail
    from one account, but that is as far as it goes without starting my
    brain smoking, so I use Thunderbird instead. <g>

    OldGringo38, Apr 27, 2010