Re: Firefox has stopped working

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Rom, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:18:54 -0000, Tony Lawton wrote:

    > I have just installed Firefox 3.06 on a new machine running Vista. Every
    > time I click on a link in the browser it crashes with the message 'Firefox
    > has stopped working'. Does anyone know why and what I can do to correct
    > this. It was working perfectly in XP on the old machine.

    That's a Windows crash alert
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+crashes#Windows_crash_alert>
    and in Vista more detail can be found in (which may or may not help):
    Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Problem Reports and
    Solutions\View problem history, or just type in problem in the
    search box at the top of Control Panel.

    Does Fx still crash when clicking links in Firefox Safe Mode?
    Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
    More info: <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode>
    Also see:
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+extensions+and+themes>
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+plugins>

    Is this a new Firefox profile in Vista or one copied from WinXP?

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Rom

    Jiri Guest

    On Feb 4, 7:00 pm, Rom <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:18:54 -0000, Tony Lawton wrote:
    > > I have just installed Firefox 3.06 on a new machine running Vista. Every
    > > time I click on a link in the browser it crashes with the message 'Firefox
    > > has stopped working'. Does anyone know why and what I can do to correct
    > > this. It was working perfectly in XP on the old machine.

    > That's a Windows crash alert
    > <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+crashes#Windows_crash_alert>
    > and in Vista more detail can be found in (which may or may not help):
    > Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Problem Reports and
    > Solutions\View problem history, or just type in  problem  in the
    > search box at the top of Control Panel.
    >
    > Does Fx still crash when clicking links in Firefox Safe Mode?
    > Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
    > More info: <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode>
    > Also see:
    > <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+extensions+and+th...>
    > <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+plugins>
    >
    > Is this a new Firefox profile in Vista or one copied from WinXP?
    >
    > --
    > Rom

    I get a crash on start both regular and safe mode. Was just
    "upgraded" to most recent FF. Am running XP. Basically, FF is
    totally hosed - I'm using Chrome right now.

    Jiri

    Jiri, Feb 5, 2009

  3. Rom

    johnn Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:03:43 -0800 (PST), Jiri <> wrote:

    >I get a crash on start both regular and safe mode. Was just
    >"upgraded" to most recent FF. Am running XP. Basically, FF is
    >totally hosed - I'm using Chrome right now.
    >
    >Jiri

    Jiri:

    Are you sure it is Firefox that is "hosed"?
    I have been using every current version of FF (3.0.6 at this time) on Windows XP (SP3 at this time)
    and have had absolutely no problems.
    Again: Are you sure it is Firefox that is "hosed"?
    __________________________________
    johnn
    __________________________________
    "God is dead"
    - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    - God

    johnn, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Rom

    wrote:

    >On Feb 4, 7:00 pm, Rom <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:18:54 -0000, Tony Lawton wrote:
    >> > I have just installed Firefox 3.06 on a new machine running Vista. Every
    >> > time I click on a link in the browser it crashes with the message 'Firefox
    >> > has stopped working'. Does anyone know why and what I can do to correct
    >> > this. It was working perfectly in XP on the old machine.

    >> That's a Windows crash alert
    >> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+crashes#Windows_crash_alert>
    >> and in Vista more detail can be found in (which may or may not help):
    >> Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Problem Reports and
    >> Solutions\View problem history, or just type in  problem  in the
    >> search box at the top of Control Panel.
    >>
    >> Does Fx still crash when clicking links in Firefox Safe Mode?
    >> Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
    >> More info: <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode>
    >> Also see:
    >> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+extensions+and+th...>
    >> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting+plugins>
    >>
    >> Is this a new Firefox profile in Vista or one copied from WinXP?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rom

    >I get a crash on start both regular and safe mode. Was just
    >"upgraded" to most recent FF. Am running XP. Basically, FF is
    >totally hosed - I'm using Chrome right now.
    >
    >Jiri

    Now IE was another story. That damn thing crashed all the time. I
    finally downloaded IERADICATE and completely removed it. I just use
    Firefox and Opera now, and once and awhile that small Offbyone
    browser. The one thing I'd like to change is to make Offbyone the
    default browser but it dont have an option for that. The only reason
    is I now have FF as the default, and if someone on a newsgroup puts a
    weblink, when I click on it, FF begins to load, and during the 30
    seconds it's loading I cant go to the next newsgroup message. I still
    think FF is the best browser, except that it takes long to load. I
    used to have IE as the default, which loaded fast, but one I started
    using it, it seemed I kept using it, and the next thing I had a crash.
    That's why I got rid of it entirely. I prefer FF over Opera, but
    opera is growing on me.

    I cant run FF 3.x on Win98, but I heard it's buggy, and the OP said
    it was under Vista, and God only knows what that POS is doing.

    I thought XP was horrid, so I woudn't touch Vista with someone elses
    computer on the end of a 10 ft. pole, much less mine. If I am ever
    forced to upgrade, it will either be Linux or a Macintosh. Win98 was
    the last decent version of Windows that MS made.

    The only problem with FF 2 is that the latest ver 2.0.0.20 keeps
    trying to upgrade the addons everytime I loaded it, even with the
    upgrade button unchecked. I now have 2.0.0.19 and it works fine.
    Mozilla said the 2....20 was the last ver, but I sure wish they would
    fix that bug. So if you go back to FF 2.x, I'd suggest 2...19.

    LM

    , Feb 6, 2009
  5. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:03:43 -0800 (PST), Jiri wrote:

    > I get a crash on start both regular and safe mode. Was just
    > "upgraded" to most recent FF. Am running XP. Basically, FF is
    > totally hosed

    Fx 3.0.6 works fine for me after upgrading from 3.0.5.

    The problem is likely in your profile. Create a new profile to test
    and see if Fx will start, by going to Start > Run, and enter:

    firefox.exe -ProfileManager

    More info:
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles>
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+will+not+start>

    If a new profile works, then you can copy your bookmarks and important
    settings into the new profile:
    <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile>
    and/or optionally try to find the problem in the old profile.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Feb 6, 2009
  6. wrote:

    > I cant run FF 3.x on Win98, but I heard it's buggy, and the OP said
    > it was under Vista, and God only knows what that POS is doing.

    well, as I've said previously, you can go and look into
    the following. They claim you will be able to run FF3
    on a win98 machine by doing this:
    http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/
    http://www.msfn.org/board/KernelEx-v035-released-t71476.html

    I don't know if it works or not, so its up to you to
    test it out.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 6, 2009
  7. Rom

    Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:19:14 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I cant run FF 3.x on Win98, but I heard it's buggy, and the OP said
    >> it was under Vista, and God only knows what that POS is doing.

    >well, as I've said previously, you can go and look into
    >the following. They claim you will be able to run FF3
    >on a win98 machine by doing this:
    >http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/
    >http://www.msfn.org/board/KernelEx-v035-released-t71476.html
    >
    >I don't know if it works or not, so its up to you to
    >test it out.

    Thanks for the advice and I did catch it before.
    The thing is, I'm not sure if I want to test it. I will have to read
    up on it first. If it adds any "NT" content to Windows, I'd prefer to
    avoid it. NT is what ruined Windows beginning with Win2K. or was it
    WinME....

    I'm also wondering if this thing can make other software designed for
    XP run on Win98?

    If I do test it, it will be on a temporary install of 98 on a spare
    computer.

    Thanks

    , Feb 6, 2009