Re: Firefox desn't save the config. help!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I like to use Firefox with a different configuration.
    > But if I go to "Rete/Connessione/Impostazioni/Configurazione
    > manuale del Proxy" page and I use a proxy, then if I shut Firefox,
    > when I open it again, Firefox has lost its config.
    > Why do I have this problem? Perhaps do I jump some steps?
    > thanks for your suggestions.

    This is what I can determine with some simple experiments.

    Firefox uses the prefs.js file to store settings. The file
    is stored in the folder:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<number>.default

    If you open Firefox, put the cursor where you type the URL, and enter

    about:config

    that gives access to individual preferences. The filter bar
    at the top of the page, allows narrowing down the settings
    you want to work on. You could try typing "proxy" for example,
    in the Filter bar. Items in bold print, are preferences which
    no longer have the default value. Only the items in bold print
    are actually stored in prefs.js. So when a value is changed from the
    default, then Firefox stores the new, non-default value
    in the prefs.js .

    It could be that the permissions on your prefs.js file are
    not allowing the file to be written. There is no particular
    reason why accessing prefs.js via "about:config" is going
    to have any different result than using
    "Rete/Connessione/Impostazioni/Configurazione manuale del Proxy".

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 16, 2009

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > It is intersting what you have just told me. But I don't undertand
    > what I have to do to solve my problem.
    > thanks

    OK. Find the "prefs.js" file. Record the date and time it was last
    changed. Now, enter Firefox, and change your proxy settings. Quit
    Firefox. Now, refresh the display of the folder containing "prefs.js".
    Is the date and time the same as it was previously ? If it is, then
    the results of your proxy setting change are not being stored in the
    file.

    I cannot provide answers for why this would fail to work.
    But, in order for the proxy setting to be preserved, as
    far as I know, it has to be stored in the prefs.js file.
    If the date and time on the prefs.js file is not
    changing, then the file is not being saved. Write
    permissions to the file would be one reason. Your user
    ID must have permission to write to that file. You
    can right click on the file, do "Properties" and
    check to see if it is write protected or not.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 16, 2009