Re: Firefox copy & paste bug?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. Crash wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Feb 2009, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said about:
    > Re: Firefox copy & paste bug?
    >
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Crash wrote:
    >>>> Why can't I copy and paste text from
    >>>> this site with Firefox? www.snopes.com/military/limbaugh.asp
    >>>>
    >>>> I think founding WWW philosophy is that
    >>>> there should be no copy barriors in HTML.
    >>>> Can that be fixed?
    >>>>
    >>>> I also notice that the Save As feature
    >>>> claims to save as text, but it's .html.
    >>>> No biggy, just rename. A nice save
    >>>> option would be to also have the ability to save the text without the
    >>>> links.

    >
    >>> because they've disabled that feature.

    >
    > snopes.com? So they did. So that's legal now?
    > Cernes(?) and W3 knuckeled under?
    >
    > Will they next forbid downloading the page too?
    >
    > So where can I find a browser with the balls to
    > ingnore that clear violation of the common good,
    > America, and early Internet philosophy?
    >
    >> As a matter of fact, they've
    >>> disabled all features for the mouse.

    >
    > Thanks Peter Potamus, for your quick reply!
    > You are a godsend.
    >
    >>> Are you able to right click, then
    >>> Select All, then hit ctrl+c and that should be able to copy.

    >
    > I guess that would be a bit quicker than
    > save as text.


    thats another option.

    >> on second thought, try the greasemonkey extension:
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    >>
    >> then install this script:
    >> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/19274

    >
    >
    > Install a pluging to achieve old MS DOS
    > EDIT functionality!!!???? A HUGE AND MAJOR
    > M$ feature!!!!!!!?????????


    I don't know what you're talking about, but even IE
    won't let you select text and copy it. As a matter of
    fact, if you right click and select all, then it too
    doesn't work. Atleast with FF/SM there are options. And
    right now those options are better than nothing.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 10, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >Crash wrote:
    >> On Mon, 09 Feb 2009, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said about:
    >> Re: Firefox copy & paste bug?
    >>
    >>
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> Crash wrote:
    >>>>> Why can't I copy and paste text from
    >>>>> this site with Firefox? www.snopes.com/military/limbaugh.asp
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I think founding WWW philosophy is that
    >>>>> there should be no copy barriors in HTML.
    >>>>> Can that be fixed?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I also notice that the Save As feature
    >>>>> claims to save as text, but it's .html.
    >>>>> No biggy, just rename. A nice save
    >>>>> option would be to also have the ability to save the text without the
    >>>>> links.

    >>
    >>>> because they've disabled that feature.

    >>
    >> snopes.com? So they did. So that's legal now?
    >> Cernes(?) and W3 knuckeled under?
    >>
    >> Will they next forbid downloading the page too?
    >>
    >> So where can I find a browser with the balls to
    >> ingnore that clear violation of the common good,
    >> America, and early Internet philosophy?
    >>
    >>> As a matter of fact, they've
    >>>> disabled all features for the mouse.

    >>
    >> Thanks Peter Potamus, for your quick reply!
    >> You are a godsend.
    >>
    >>>> Are you able to right click, then
    >>>> Select All, then hit ctrl+c and that should be able to copy.

    >>
    >> I guess that would be a bit quicker than
    >> save as text.

    >
    >thats another option.
    >
    >>> on second thought, try the greasemonkey extension:
    >>>
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    >>>
    >>> then install this script:
    >>> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/19274

    >>
    >>
    >> Install a pluging to achieve old MS DOS
    >> EDIT functionality!!!???? A HUGE AND MAJOR
    >> M$ feature!!!!!!!?????????

    >
    >I don't know what you're talking about, but even IE
    >won't let you select text and copy it. As a matter of
    >fact, if you right click and select all, then it too
    >doesn't work. Atleast with FF/SM there are options. And
    >right now those options are better than nothing.


    Disable java script and you can copy and paste in either browser. The
    same for those sites that wont let you save a picture. Just disable
    java script. You may have to close and reopen the browser before it
    takes effect. This works in Firefox and IE. Not sure about other
    browsers. Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    time.
    , Feb 11, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wrote:
    > Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    > your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    > time.


    hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had
    a problem with it.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 11, 2009
    #3
  4. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    >> your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    >> time.

    >
    > hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had
    > a problem with it.
    >


    He's right.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 2, 2009
    #4
  5. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    >>> your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    >>> time.

    >>
    >> hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had a problem with it.
    >>

    >
    > He's right.
    >
    > Lee


    who's right Lee?

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 2, 2009
    #5
  6. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    >>>> your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    >>>> time.
    >>> hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had a problem with it.
    >>>

    >> He's right.
    >>
    >> Lee

    >
    > who's right Lee?
    >


    Whoever the pepperoni guy is. At Snopes, you cannot copy text unless
    javascript is disabled.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 2, 2009
    #6
  7. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>> Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    >>>>> your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    >>>>> time.
    >>>> hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had a problem
    >>>> with it.
    >>>>
    >>> He's right.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >>
    >> who's right Lee?
    >>

    >
    > Whoever the pepperoni guy is. At Snopes, you cannot copy text unless
    > javascript is disabled.
    >
    > Lee


    I thought you were saying "he's right" was about the
    guy saying javascript can be bad, or the guy saying
    hogwash.
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 3, 2009
    #7
  8. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Justin Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote on [Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:48:01 GMT]:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>> Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    >>>>> your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    >>>>> time.
    >>>> hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had a problem with it.
    >>>>
    >>> He's right.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >>
    >> who's right Lee?
    >>

    >
    > Whoever the pepperoni guy is. At Snopes, you cannot copy text unless
    > javascript is disabled.


    Isn't that plain stupid!? if you really want to copy something, you're
    going to do it...

    Just install the web developer add-on/toolbar and you can disable and
    reenable quickly.
    Justin, Mar 3, 2009
    #8
  9. Justin wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote on [Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:48:01 GMT]:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>> Java script is nasty stuff anyhow, it can really screw up
    >>>>>> your computer and spread malware too. I keep it disabled most of the
    >>>>>> time.
    >>>>> hogwash! I keep it on all the time and I've never had a problem with it.
    >>>>>
    >>>> He's right.
    >>>>
    >>>> Lee
    >>> who's right Lee?
    >>>

    >> Whoever the pepperoni guy is. At Snopes, you cannot copy text unless
    >> javascript is disabled.

    >
    > Isn't that plain stupid!? if you really want to copy something, you're
    > going to do it...
    >
    > Just install the web developer add-on/toolbar and you can disable and
    > reenable quickly.
    >



    Prefbar does it as well.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 3, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?so=F1ando?=

    Headers won't copy and paste

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?so=F1ando?=, Nov 8, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    470
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?so=F1ando?=
    Nov 13, 2003
  2. Doug

    Select, Copy & Paste In Firefox

    Doug, Apr 1, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    738
  3. partytildawn
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    747
    xModem
    Dec 27, 2005
  4. partytildawn

    Copy/Paste Problems with Firefox

    partytildawn, May 19, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,122
    partytildawn
    May 19, 2006
  5. Greatime
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    850
Loading...

Share This Page