Re: Firefox and Bookmarks No help here..??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    > One thing that I can never get to work is Bookmarks, I would like it
    > to list in Alphabetical order and be able to move the one that I use
    > near the top of the list, this I can't seem to do.
    >

    That's what Firefox does by default. You don't have to do anything. Add
    a new bookmark and it puts it in order. Move it to the top and it stays
    there. You must have fiddled with the options. Select "Preferences" and
    select "Restore Defaults".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Sep 5, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:59:48 +1200, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > No, but I did a Google search, lots of questions about this, but
    > found one that does it.
    >
    > Right click on Organize Bookmarks, you have a option to sort by
    > name.
    >
    > The other problem that I had was that it Imported the Wrong Favorites
    > folder, the only way I could fix that was a clean install.
    >
    > Even saving the IE Favorites as a HTML file only locked up Firefox
    > when trying to import it..
    >

    Select "Preferences" and select "Restore Defaults".

    That will solve all your problems.

    You are reading the wrong Google references.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Sep 5, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 23:20:59 +1200, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:59:48 +1200, Enkidu
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No, but I did a Google search, lots of questions about this,
    >>> but found one that does it.
    >>>
    >>> Right click on Organize Bookmarks, you have a option to sort by
    >>> name.
    >>>
    >>> The other problem that I had was that it Imported the Wrong
    >>> Favorites folder, the only way I could fix that was a clean
    >>> install.
    >>>
    >>> Even saving the IE Favorites as a HTML file only locked up
    >>> Firefox when trying to import it..
    >>>

    >> Select "Preferences" and select "Restore Defaults".
    >>
    >> That will solve all your problems.
    >>
    >> You are reading the wrong Google references.

    >
    > You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
    > happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
    > Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
    > know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
    > find it..
    >

    Under the Edit menu.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Sep 6, 2008
    #3
  4. Enkidu

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:13:20 +1200, in message <>,
    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:16:40 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    > >OZZY Boy wrote:

    --snip--
    > >> You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
    > >> happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
    > >> Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
    > >> know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
    > >> find it..
    > >>

    > >Under the Edit menu.
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >
    > >Cliff

    >
    >
    >
    > I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..
    >


    It is "Tools » Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
    It is "Edit » Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.

    Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.


    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Sep 6, 2008
    #4
  5. Enkidu

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-09-06, OZZY Boy <> wrote:

    > I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..


    If all else fails. type about:config in the location bar and use search to
    find the option you're looking for.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Sep 6, 2008
    #5
  6. Enkidu

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:17:59 +1200, in message <>,
    OZZY Boy wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:08:49 +1200, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:13:20 +1200, in message <>,
    > >OZZY Boy wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:16:40 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >OZZY Boy wrote:

    > >--snip--
    > >> >> You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
    > >> >> happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
    > >> >> Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
    > >> >> know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
    > >> >> find it..
    > >> >>
    > >> >Under the Edit menu.
    > >> >
    > >> >Cheers,
    > >> >
    > >> >Cliff
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..
    > >>

    > >
    > >It is "Tools » Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
    > >It is "Edit » Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.
    > >
    > >Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.

    >
    >
    > Under what Tab, as I just can't find it..



    Well, "Tools » Options » Main" (on your OS) has a button "Restore to Default".
    This same button would be at "Edit » Preferences » Main" on Cliff's OS.

    Perhaps that is the "Restore Defaults" which Cliff was thinking of in message
    <>, but you would have to ask Cliff this.
    Ralph Fox, Sep 6, 2008
    #6
  7. Enkidu

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-06, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:26:25 +1200, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >>>Then you're just plain blind and/or stupid.
    >>>
    >>>If you're using Firefox on any Unix platform then the preferences are
    >>>located under the Edit menu.
    >>>
    >>>If you're using Firefox on any Micro$oft platform, then the "options"
    >>>are located under the "tools" menu.

    >>
    >> Yes But Not preferences

    >
    > To you, Woger, and all other persons using Firefox on a Micro$oft
    > platform, "preferences" are known as "options" and are located in a
    > "tools" menu.
    >
    > To everybody else, preferences are known as "preferences" and are located
    > in the Edit menu because generally that is where people would be looking
    > if they wanted to edit their preferences.
    >
    > Duh!
    >

    This point really has me lost. Why did Firefox go bi on this issue? On all
    other things, when using it I actually ignore the platform it is running on,
    for it looks and acts the same.
    Gordon, Sep 7, 2008
    #7
  8. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:26:25 +1200, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >>> Then you're just plain blind and/or stupid.
    >>>
    >>> If you're using Firefox on any Unix platform then the preferences
    >>> are located under the Edit menu.
    >>>
    >>> If you're using Firefox on any Micro$oft platform, then the
    >>> "options" are located under the "tools" menu.

    >> Yes But Not preferences

    >
    > To you, Woger, and all other persons using Firefox on a Micro$oft
    > platform, "preferences" are known as "options" and are located in a
    > "tools" menu.
    >
    > To everybody else, preferences are known as "preferences" and are
    > located in the Edit menu because generally that is where people would
    > be looking if they wanted to edit their preferences.
    >

    He's probably using a bootleg copy from somewhere or a beta version,
    Lennier,

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Sep 8, 2008
    #8
  9. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:17:59 +1200, in message <>,
    > OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:08:49 +1200, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:13:20 +1200, in message <>,
    >>> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:16:40 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>> --snip--
    >>>>>> You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
    >>>>>> happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
    >>>>>> Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
    >>>>>> know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
    >>>>>> find it..
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Under the Edit menu.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Cheers,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Cliff
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..
    >>>>
    >>> It is "Tools » Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
    >>> It is "Edit » Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.

    >>
    >> Under what Tab, as I just can't find it..

    >
    >
    > Well, "Tools » Options » Main" (on your OS) has a button "Restore to Default".
    > This same button would be at "Edit » Preferences » Main" on Cliff's OS.
    >
    > Perhaps that is the "Restore Defaults" which Cliff was thinking of in message
    > <>, but you would have to ask Cliff this.
    >

    That just sets the Home Page default. There doesn't seem to be a button
    to reset *all* defaults.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Sep 8, 2008
    #9
  10. Enkidu

    Sam Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:17:09 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ralph Fox wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:17:59 +1200, in message <>,
    >>> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:08:49 +1200, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:13:20 +1200, in message <>,
    >>>>> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:16:40 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>>>> --snip--
    >>>>>>>> You did state that I had changed some setting, well this problem
    >>>>>>>> happened on the 2 occasions that I installed Firefox and imported the
    >>>>>>>> Favorites from IE8 B2, I changed nothing at all Plus I don't even
    >>>>>>>> know any thing that you referred to as "Preferences" and can not
    >>>>>>>> find it..
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Under the Edit menu.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Cheers,
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Cliff
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I am using Firefox 3.01 and that option is not listed under the Edit menu tab..
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> It is "Tools » Options" on Firefox for Roger's OS.
    >>>>> It is "Edit » Preferences" on Firefox for Cliff's OS.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Firefox follows the OS convention for the OS it is built for.
    >>>> Under what Tab, as I just can't find it..
    >>>
    >>> Well, "Tools » Options » Main" (on your OS) has a button "Restore to Default".
    >>> This same button would be at "Edit » Preferences » Main" on Cliff's OS.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps that is the "Restore Defaults" which Cliff was thinking of in message
    >>> <>, but you would have to ask Cliff this.
    >>>

    >> That just sets the Home Page default. There doesn't seem to be a button
    >> to reset *all* defaults.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >
    >
    >
    > Thats what I found



    FFS how hard is it google 'reset firefox preferences'?

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_preferences
    Sam, Sep 9, 2008
    #10
  11. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > The other problem that I had was that it Imported the Wrong Favorites
    > folder, the only way I could fix that was a clean install.


    Couldn't you just delete your user prefs? In your ~/.mozilla/firefox
    directory?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2008
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Smiley
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    719
    Smiley
    May 28, 2005
  2. Marek Williams
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    11,706
    Marek Williams
    Jun 11, 2005
  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Re: Please help with Firefox 3 bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 28, 2008, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    360
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    Jun 28, 2008
  4. Craig Shore

    Re: Firefox and Bookmarks No help here..??

    Craig Shore, Sep 5, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    366
    Craig Shore
    Sep 5, 2008
  5. Ross
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    371
Loading...

Share This Page