Re: Firefox Abuchak

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Oct 22, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Edwin Sineath wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to get rid of Abuchak.net? I've tried the
    > about:config and that doesn't work because it won't save the change I make.

    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/805401

    Abuchak.net ConnectBar 1.1.97

    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/865935

    "Finally I checked my extensions. Only one was enabled. It was called:
    "ConnectBar 1.1.97 --every talk, everywhere." I never chose to add
    this extension, which I have never heard of before, to Firefox. But
    there it was. What's more, I noticed that it said it had been "updated"
    on August 23, 2011--the same day my problem appeared! When I disabled
    it, "Abuchak" disappeared and my problem was solved."

    With regard to "about:config", check a file called "prefs.js". At
    the top of "prefs.js" it says -

    "Do not edit this file.
    *
    * If you make changes to this file while the application is running,
    * the changes will be overwritten when the application exits.
    *
    * To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL about:config
    * For more information, see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
    "

    I opened mine with Wordpad, but I can't be absolutely sure whether
    the line endings are Windows or Linux. You have to be careful not
    to screw it up. OK, I checked with my "file.exe" third party utility
    and it says the line endings are CRLF like a test text file I produced
    with Notepad (so I guess that makes it a genuine Windows file). Wordpad
    and Notepad differ in how they handle "foreign" text files, and both
    tools have a place, depending on what you're doing. (For example, one
    handles Unicode two byte characters, and the other one doesn't.)

    *******

    One thing I find interesting, is one search engine, absolutely refuses
    to find the word ConnectBar on mozilla.org , even when I'm staring at
    a posting on support.mozilla.org from one month ago. In other words,
    I know the word has been posted to the site, many times, in the form
    of complaints, and yet I can't find it.

    I can find it on www.google.com, like this

    ConnectBar site:mozilla.org

    The references found, are pure garbage, but at least the word is
    detectable. The hits I'm getting that way, look like someone
    attacked addons.mozilla.org to try and improve the reputation
    of the product.

    I don't know what it all means, but is smells of "shenanigans".

    Good luck with your problem,
    Paul

    Paul, Oct 22, 2011