Re: Firefox 3 bookmark probs

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 21, 2008.

  1. TheCroW wrote:
    > Ok, using FF3 (Dutch) now for a few days and it works fine. Lots of pages
    > faster loading.
    > One thing though that looks like it's a bug, are the bookmarks.
    > I have the main bookmarks window and in there I have maps like for
    > Astronomical links and so on.
    > When I rightclick in the main bookmarks window, the Sorting On Name option
    > is gone.
    > But when I rightclick on the maps I have there, then that option is there
    > like usual. SO I can sort the name in the bookmark maps but not in the main
    > bookmark window.
    >
    > Also, when making a bookmark, there is no more possibilty to add it in a
    > map. It can only be placed in the main bookmark window. Example, I want to
    > add an URL with NASA images and want to add it in the Astro map. I hit
    > Ctrl+D but my own maps are not showing. There are some options in there like
    > "Unsorted bookmarks" and a blue arrow poitning downwards but nothing is
    > happening.
    >
    > I hope it's a bit clear what I mean, English is not my native tongue :)
    >
    > Menno

    yeah, its a new bookmark formatting. Trying opening the
    bookmark manager and move them around there.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 21, 2008

  2. TheCroW wrote:
    >>> Ok, using FF3 (Dutch) now for a few days and it works fine. Lots of pages
    >>> faster loading.
    >>> One thing though that looks like it's a bug, are the bookmarks.
    >>> I have the main bookmarks window and in there I have maps like for
    >>> Astronomical links and so on.
    >>> When I rightclick in the main bookmarks window, the Sorting On Name
    >>> option is gone.
    >>> But when I rightclick on the maps I have there, then that option is there
    >>> like usual. SO I can sort the name in the bookmark maps but not in the
    >>> main bookmark window.
    >>>
    >>> Also, when making a bookmark, there is no more possibilty to add it in a
    >>> map. It can only be placed in the main bookmark window. Example, I want
    >>> to add an URL with NASA images and want to add it in the Astro map. I hit
    >>> Ctrl+D but my own maps are not showing. There are some options in there
    >>> like "Unsorted bookmarks" and a blue arrow poitning downwards but nothing
    >>> is happening.
    >>>
    >>> I hope it's a bit clear what I mean, English is not my native tongue :)
    >>>
    >>> Menno
    >>>

    >> yeah, its a new bookmark formatting. Trying opening the bookmark manager
    >> and move them around there.
    >>

    > New? Looks and acts like a bug :-((
    > But ok, I'll try that ... thanx
    >
    > Menno

    the biggest complaint about the new Firefox 3 is the
    bookmarks. They changed it from an html format to a sqlite
    one. People [including me] are bitching like crazy.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 21, 2008

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:485d7cb6$0$534$4all.se:

    > the biggest complaint about the new Firefox 3 is the
    > bookmarks. They changed it from an html format to a sqlite
    > one.

    about:config
    browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

    Set it to true and it will update the bookmarks.html file from the
    sqlite databbase.

    Also:

    elaich, Jun 22, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > On 22 Jun 2008 18:34:33 GMT, elaich <> wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo <>
    >> wrote in news:485d7cb6$0$534$4all.se:
    >>
    >>> the biggest complaint about the new Firefox 3 is the
    >>> bookmarks. They changed it from an html format to a sqlite
    >>> one.

    >> about:config
    >> browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
    >>
    >> Set it to true and it will update the bookmarks.html file from the
    >> sqlite databbase.
    >>
    >> Also:
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

    > I did the config change above and my Bookmarks.html now begins with 2
    > entries:
    >
    > Recently Bookmarked
    > Recently Tagged
    >
    > and when I click on these Firefox says it does "not know how to open
    > them because the protocol (place) isn't associated with any program."
    >
    > Bug?
    >
    > (I've used my bookmark.html file as a home page since early Netscape
    > days)

    if you used the bookmarks from FF 3, then tried them in FF
    2, then FF 2 doesn't have certain "protocols" that FF 3 has.
    Thats why you get that message.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 24, 2008
  5. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:40:02 -0500, wrote:

    > On 22 Jun 2008 18:34:33 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    [...]
    >>about:config
    >>browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
    >>
    >>Set it to true and it will update the bookmarks.html file from the
    >>sqlite databbase.
    >>
    >>Also:
    >>
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

    > I did the config change above and my Bookmarks.html now begins with 2
    > entries:
    >
    > Recently Bookmarked
    > Recently Tagged
    >
    > and when I click on these Firefox says it does "not know how to open
    > them because the protocol (place) isn't associated with any program."
    >
    > Bug?

    Perhaps one of design, or overlooked, or bookmarks/places were not
    intentionally designed to have bookmarks.html as a home page.

    I've always preferred about:blank for a home page, but tried the
    Bookmarks Tab <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7161>
    extension in a Fx3 RC. Those new smart folders were either too smart
    for their own good or not smart enough, but found that problem too.

    With the Bookmarks Tab extension and about:blank set as home page,
    the layout and functionality of bookmarks is quite good, so you might
    want to have a look at it, or when it loses its experimental status.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jun 24, 2008
  6. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:20:54 -0500, wrote:

    > No, this is ocurring within FF 3 (I checked Help>about Mozzilla
    > Firefox). The bookmarks from FF2 were used/converted when FF 3 was
    > installed and the problem only surfaced since I made the config change
    > earlier today.

    Yep, as after Fx3 converts/migrates your bookmarks from your Fx2
    bookmarks.html to places.sqlite, the bookmarks.html isn't used, and
    the config change updated the bookmark.html file when exporting.
    Before the config change and exporting, the bookmarks.html file hadn't
    changed, and those smart folders are new in and to Fx3.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jun 24, 2008