Re: Firefox 3.0 was way too slow and troublesome....

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Old Enough, Dec 30, 2008.

  1. Old Enough

    Old Enough Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:21:46 -0600, Keith Lee <>
    wrote:

    >All:
    > Firefox 3.0.1 was waaay too slow and would not close correctly. I went
    >back to Firefox 2.0.0.6 and love every minute of it. :)
    >
    >Keith Lee

    Keith:
    I'm sooooo happy for you, I could .........
    OTOH, many Firefox users, including myself, have installed every
    consecutive version (now 3.0.5) and are happy with it.

    Have you considered the possibility that something else, other than
    the more current Firefox programs, could be the source of your
    discontent?

    Just wondering . . .

    Happy 2009!

    __________________________________
    johnn
    __________________________________
    "God is dead"
    - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    - God

    Old Enough, Dec 30, 2008

  2. Old Enough wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:21:46 -0600, Keith Lee <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> All:
    >> Firefox 3.0.1 was waaay too slow and would not close correctly. I went
    >> back to Firefox 2.0.0.6 and love every minute of it. :)
    >>
    >> Keith Lee

    > Keith:
    > I'm sooooo happy for you, I could .........
    > OTOH, many Firefox users, including myself, have installed every
    > consecutive version (now 3.0.5) and are happy with it.
    >
    > Have you considered the possibility that something else, other than
    > the more current Firefox programs, could be the source of your
    > discontent?
    >
    > Just wondering . . .
    >
    > Happy 2009!

    then again, he doesn't say why its slow

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 31, 2008

  3. Old Enough

    Frank Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Old Enough wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:21:46 -0600, Keith Lee <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All:
    >>> Firefox 3.0.1 was waaay too slow and would not close correctly. I
    >>> went back to Firefox 2.0.0.6 and love every minute of it. :)
    >>>
    >>> Keith Lee

    >> Keith: I'm sooooo happy for you, I could .........
    >> OTOH, many Firefox users, including myself, have installed every
    >> consecutive version (now 3.0.5) and are happy with it.
    >>
    >> Have you considered the possibility that something else, other than
    >> the more current Firefox programs, could be the source of your
    >> discontent?
    >>
    >> Just wondering . . .
    >>
    >> Happy 2009!

    > then again, he doesn't say why its slow

    Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.

    Frank

    Frank, Dec 31, 2008
  4. Old Enough

    Justin Guest

    Frank wrote on [Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:37:59 -0500]:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Old Enough wrote:

    >>> Keith: I'm sooooo happy for you, I could .........
    >>> OTOH, many Firefox users, including myself, have installed every
    >>> consecutive version (now 3.0.5) and are happy with it.
    >>>
    >>> Have you considered the possibility that something else, other than
    >>> the more current Firefox programs, could be the source of your
    >>> discontent?
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering . . .
    >>>
    >>> Happy 2009!

    >> then again, he doesn't say why its slow
    >>

    > Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    > connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    > Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.

    What does that mean? Requests high speed connection? It calls up your
    ISP and asks for DSL?

    Justin, Dec 31, 2008
  5. Frank wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Old Enough wrote:

    >>> Keith: I'm sooooo happy for you, I could .........
    >>> OTOH, many Firefox users, including myself, have installed every
    >>> consecutive version (now 3.0.5) and are happy with it.
    >>>
    >>> Have you considered the possibility that something else, other than
    >>> the more current Firefox programs, could be the source of your
    >>> discontent?
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering . . .
    >>>
    >>> Happy 2009!

    >> then again, he doesn't say why its slow
    >>

    > Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    > connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    > Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.
    >
    > Frank

    I have no idea what that means. Never seen nor heard
    of that one. I doubt it has anything to do with
    Firefox, but rather your connection.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 31, 2008
  6. Old Enough

    John Doe Guest

    Frank <> wrote:

    > Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    > connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    > Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.

    If that's not just a troll...
    Might have to do with Windows Network Connections.

    --
    Do you pat yourself on the back for voting? At the same time, do you
    buy stuff made by faceless workers in some undisclosed location in

    John Doe, Dec 31, 2008
  7. Old Enough

    Frank Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> then again, he doesn't say why its slow
    >>>

    >> Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    >> connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    >> Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.
    >>
    >> Frank

    > I have no idea what that means. Never seen nor heard of that one. I
    > doubt it has anything to do with Firefox, but rather your connection.

    Darned if I know. It says "connect broadband connection" and only
    appears for some sites. Wireless router as cater corner from me, going
    through a few rooms. Minor PITA but Chrome does not precipitate it.

    Frank, Dec 31, 2008
  8. Old Enough

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:50:29 -0500, Frank wrote:

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    >>> connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    >>> Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.
    >>>

    >> I have no idea what that means. Never seen nor heard of that one. I
    >> doubt it has anything to do with Firefox, but rather your connection.
    >>

    > Darned if I know. It says "connect broadband connection" and only
    > appears for some sites. Wireless router as cater corner from me, going
    > through a few rooms. Minor PITA but Chrome does not precipitate it.

    Try this:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_attempts_to_connect_when_already_connected>
    and some others to look into or try:
    <http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1190462949>
    <http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=251814&messageID=2511538>

    I've never seen that in years of using Moz/Fx browsers and broadband.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 1, 2009
  9. Old Enough

    Frank Guest

    Rom wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:50:29 -0500, Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Frank wrote:

    > [...]
    >>>>
    >>> I have no idea what that means. Never seen nor heard of that one. I
    >>> doubt it has anything to do with Firefox, but rather your connection.
    >>>

    >> Darned if I know. It says "connect broadband connection" and only
    >> appears for some sites. Wireless router as cater corner from me, going
    >> through a few rooms. Minor PITA but Chrome does not precipitate it.

    > Try this:
    > <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_attempts_to_connect_when_already_connected>
    > and some others to look into or try:
    > <http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1190462949>
    > <http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=251814&messageID=2511538>
    >
    > I've never seen that in years of using Moz/Fx browsers and broadband.

    Thanks. Changed network.autodialer-helper to false and problem seems to
    have gone away.
    Frank

    Frank, Jan 1, 2009
  10. Old Enough

    Justin Guest

    Frank wrote on [Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:50:29 -0500]:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> Mine has an annoying hangup where it sometime requests high speed
    >>> connection and I have to say cancel before it continues.
    >>> Lately, I've been just using Google Chrome instead.
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> I have no idea what that means. Never seen nor heard of that one. I
    >> doubt it has anything to do with Firefox, but rather your connection.
    >>

    > Darned if I know. It says "connect broadband connection" and only
    > appears for some sites. Wireless router as cater corner from me, going
    > through a few rooms. Minor PITA but Chrome does not precipitate it.

    You may want to try explaining this again, in English.

    Justin, Jan 1, 2009
  11. Old Enough

    Frank Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Frank wrote on [Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:50:29 -0500]:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> I have no idea what that means. Never seen nor heard of that one. I
    >>> doubt it has anything to do with Firefox, but rather your connection.
    >>>

    >> Darned if I know. It says "connect broadband connection" and only
    >> appears for some sites. Wireless router as cater corner from me, going
    >> through a few rooms. Minor PITA but Chrome does not precipitate it.

    > You may want to try explaining this again, in English.

    Well, Rom understood and helped me out to eliminate problem. I have
    high speed internet connection, Comcast cable, and even though
    connected, Firefox would freeze and request connection. If I just x'ed
    out the request, it would continue normal connection. Chrome does not
    have this problem which logically would lead to problem residing with
    Firefox. The about:config setting pointed out by Rom solved problem.

    I am also having some connectivity problem, either with modem or cable.
    Got disconnected on all three computers this am and tech on phone could
    not correct and scheduled in home service for Sunday. After he hung up,
    service came back. I'm not canceling call as I think there is still
    some debugging to do.

    Hate to be a slave to all these finicky machines ;)

    Frank

    Frank, Jan 1, 2009