Re: Firebird - html underline probs

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gnomalarta, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Gnomalarta

    Gnomalarta Guest

    Whilst decanting a beer Gnomalarta smiled when he saw that AC had written
    in news::

    > version
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030516
    > Mozilla Firebird/0.6
    > I am a new user of Firebird, and am getting to like it, I am also a
    > novice web page creator, with no less than 2 pages so far....
    > So I am unsure about - well you name it, I am unsure.
    > However, my page is displaying most text as underlined, instead of just
    > the leading phrase, as intended (and I think, coded).
    > It displays ok in IE
    > There *is* a bug listed to do with inheritance of underline in html, and
    > form, but I don't know enough to say it is the same one etc, nor enough
    > to be a useful bug forum direct contributor.
    > Typical problem line of code is:
    > Reading - on Oxford Road, turn left up Wantage Road, and 2nd left into
    > Wilton Road. (Close to Battle Library,
    > on opposite side of Oxford Road, two roads back). </p>
    > where only the leading phrase is required to be underlined.
    > When I view the webpage (internet), all the text is underlined (!), but
    > when I save just this code and locally use firebird, it is not
    > underlined, and when originally creating the page, I think it was all
    > displaying ok.
    > Any suggestions please? If it is a bug in this version/build then
    > perhaps someone would help to register it too?
    > incidentally, the web page in question is
    > Thanks

    The problem is not Firebird but this line:

    comes after the Age Concern address line. You have a spurious Underline (U)
    tag openned at the beginning of the line which is never closed. Remove that
    and all should be fine. As an aside, I think that you may well have other
    problems using FrontPage and your coding will certainly be bloated!

    A good piece of freeware to check your coding for errors is CSL HTML
    Validator Lite ( )

    M$ have designed IE in such a way that it will stab at what was intended
    when coding is wrong, other browers tend to be more or less strict about

    By the way, I know the area you are writing about as I spent my teenage
    years in Tilhurst and went to Battle School!

    Gnomalarta, Jun 24, 2003