Re: firebird fonts horrible and thin

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gunther, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Gunther

    Gunther Guest

    In article <bfa62o$kkg$>,
    says...
    > Hi. I am using linux mandrake 9.1 and mozilla 1.3. Fonts look great
    > under Mozilla. I downloaded Firebird to test and the font selections are
    > different (the list of possible fonts to choose), and the
    > fonts-in-windows, and the webpage fonts are thinner than the equiv.
    > Mozilla fonts. Anyone know how to change this? And how might I 'get' the
    > fonts I know I have (eg Verdana) as I have just successfully got them to
    > work in Mozilla having copied over from my windows box?
    >
    > Any ideas greatly appreciated.

    You probably have Mozilla configured with "--enable-xft"
    whereas Firebird is probably isn't. At least that's the
    situation on my RH9 system. I've not tried building
    Firebird from sources -- I guess that's doable.

    Gunther, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Gunther

    Will Napier Guest

    Gunther wrote:
    > In article <bfa62o$kkg$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi. I am using linux mandrake 9.1 and mozilla 1.3. Fonts look great
    >>under Mozilla. I downloaded Firebird to test and the font selections are
    >>different (the list of possible fonts to choose), and the
    >>fonts-in-windows, and the webpage fonts are thinner than the equiv.
    >>Mozilla fonts. Anyone know how to change this? And how might I 'get' the
    >>fonts I know I have (eg Verdana) as I have just successfully got them to
    >>work in Mozilla having copied over from my windows box?
    >>
    >>Any ideas greatly appreciated.

    > You probably have Mozilla configured with "--enable-xft"
    > whereas Firebird is probably isn't. At least that's the
    > situation on my RH9 system. I've not tried building
    > Firebird from sources -- I guess that's doable.

    I had a look at the config by typing about:config in the browser address
    bar. In neither Mozilla nor Firebird was there a mention of xft. Would
    you know how else I can access configuration for these? I'm slowly
    learning but have not got that far yet.

    Will Napier, Jul 19, 2003