Re: Finally took digital plunge

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Whitaker, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. "Wayne Patton" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am not looking for how do make these
    > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.

    Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    Paint Shop Pro 7:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg

    This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".

    I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    them.
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Tony Whitaker

    Gorham Guest

    >>I am not looking for how do make these
    >>adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.

    > Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    > which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    > Paint Shop Pro 7:
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg
    >
    > This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".
    >
    > I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    > before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    > them.

    Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    checked it out yet?

    G.
    Gorham, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Gorham <> wrote in

    > Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    > checked it out yet?

    I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it do
    that I can't do with PSP7?
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Tony Whitaker

    Gorham Guest

    >>Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    >>checked it out yet?

    > I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it do
    > that I can't do with PSP7?

    I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    of writing scripts.

    It's hard to remember now. I went through the whole beta process and
    never once used PSP7 so it's been awhile.

    I gather there are a whole bunch of other illustration features but I
    only use photo editing so can't help you there.

    I'm glad I upgraded. If you decide to, order the CD upgrade ($10 extra I
    think) and you'll get the full manual in book form as well.

    G.
    Gorham, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Tony Whitaker

    Gea Jones Guest

    Hi,
    I've got paint shop pro 7, and would like to upgrade to 8,
    have you a website link , please?
    thankyou
    Gea Jones

    Gea Jones, Jul 12, 2003
  6. Gorham <> wrote in

    > I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    > of writing scripts.

    Scripts does sound good. Ya know, I went to their web site and looked over
    the "New Features" section, and I totally missed the scripts part. I came
    away thinking there wasn't much new to justify a $50 upgrade. The only
    feature that jumped out at me was the tool for correcting barrel and
    pincushion distortion. Does that work well? The "Straighten" tool sounds
    good, too. I do that alot - I have to guess how many degrees or fractions
    of a degree to rotate the image.
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 13, 2003
  7. Tony Whitaker, Jul 13, 2003
  8. Tony Whitaker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <Xns93B694E199289newsgroupstonywhitak@198.99.146.10>,
    newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com says...
    > "Wayne Patton" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I am not looking for how do make these
    > > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.

    > Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    > which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    > Paint Shop Pro 7:
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg
    >
    > This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".
    >
    > I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    > before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    > them.

    Please don't take offense Tony but that looks like crap. It is totally
    unnatural and an obvious combination of the two images. Yes, this is a
    very viable technique when dealing with a large dynamic range in a
    photo. Keep practicing :)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 13, 2003
  9. Tony Whitaker

    J Guest

    Just a question from a newbie in photography... about your final brighter
    picture... I was just wondering if there was evidence of a black "halo"
    around the surfaces because of a high radius setting?
    (This is in no way meant to criticise or insult...I'm just a newb trying to
    learn things about digitally editing pictures.)

    J, Jul 13, 2003
  10. Tony Whitaker

    Dan Campbell Guest

    Tony Whitaker wrote:
    > Gorham <> wrote in
    >

    >>I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    >>of writing scripts.
    >>

    > Scripts does sound good. Ya know, I went to their web site and looked over
    > the "New Features" section, and I totally missed the scripts part. I came
    > away thinking there wasn't much new to justify a $50 upgrade. The only
    > feature that jumped out at me was the tool for correcting barrel and
    > pincushion distortion. Does that work well? The "Straighten" tool sounds
    > good, too. I do that alot - I have to guess how many degrees or fractions
    > of a degree to rotate the image.

    Scripts are good; the straighten tool is great; perspective tool is
    good; and the background eraser is awesome. I also started using the
    beta version at about version b2, and never went back to PSP7.
    Dan Campbell, Jul 13, 2003
  11. "J" <> wrote in

    > about your final brighter
    > picture... I was just wondering if there was evidence of a black "halo"
    > around the surfaces because of a high radius setting?

    There really isn't. I thought the dark line around the blue flag was a
    remnant of the dividing line, but it isn't. The flag has a hem all around
    it that is darker than the rest of the flag - light shines through the rest
    of the flag. This can be seen in the original, dark image, too.

    I think PSP7 did a beautiful job here. People like Todd who think the
    foreqround was brightened too much (we know what opinions are like) can
    simply use less brightening.

    Keep in mind, too, that this was my very first attempt at this.
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 13, 2003
  12. Tony Whitaker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <Xns93B755CC811F3newsgroupstonywhitak@198.99.146.10>,
    newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com says...
    > Todd Walker <> wrote in
    >
    > > Please don't take offense Tony but that looks like crap.

    > I disagree. You are wrong. I like the way it looks. You need to learn how
    > to properly evaluate an image.

    So much for not taking offense...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker, Jul 13, 2003
  13. "Tony Whitaker" <newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
    > Gorham <> wrote in
    >
    > > Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    > > checked it out yet?

    > I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it do
    > that I can't do with PSP7?

    Download the trial version from www.jasc.com. and decide for yourself if the
    upgrade is worthwhile. I did, and got the upgrade before the trial term
    expired. I think the new one-click operations for improving digital photos
    are great, and the mechanism for printing multiple photos on a sheet of
    paper are also excellent.
    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 13, 2003
  14. Tony Whitaker

    J Guest

    that's what I saw...and the little halo around the bird that's slightly left
    of the centre.
    and I now see the white halo around the building and lights.
    I was just wondering if that was caused by a "too high" radius setting (or
    the equivalent term...)

    J, Jul 13, 2003
  15. Todd Walker <> wrote in

    > It isn't the level of brightening that bothers me. It is the halos
    > around the areas where the foreground intersects with the sky.

    The less brightening you use, the lower the contrast across the dividing
    line, and therefore the less noticeable the blend across the dividing line.
    The brightening and the "halo" are directly linked.

    I'll have to experiment with radius size and other things to see if I can
    eliminate it entirely.
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 13, 2003
  16. Todd Walker <> wrote in

    > So much for not taking offense...

    You need to learn how to state things in an inoffensive way. For example,
    your comment:
    "That looks like crap." is commonly regarded as an insult.

    You might have phrased you comment something like "The boundary between the
    light and dark parts is too noticeable to me - I don't care for that.".

    See - it's all about the *way* you say things.
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 13, 2003
  17. Tony Whitaker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <Xns93B7A4B357E0Fnewsgroupstonywhitak@198.99.146.10>,
    newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com says...
    > Todd Walker <> wrote in
    >
    > > So much for not taking offense...
    > >

    > You need to learn how to state things in an inoffensive way. For example,
    > your comment:
    > "That looks like crap." is commonly regarded as an insult.
    >
    > You might have phrased you comment something like "The boundary between the
    > light and dark parts is too noticeable to me - I don't care for that.".
    >
    > See - it's all about the *way* you say things.

    You haven't spent much time on Usenet have you Tony? You need a little
    thicker skin.

    A thousand pardons for not considering your delicate nature when wording
    my reply. Please forgive me if I offended you in any way.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker, Jul 13, 2003
  18. Todd Walker <> wrote in

    > You haven't spent much time on Usenet have you Tony? You need a little
    > thicker skin.

    Just because rudeness is common on usenet, and often in much greater
    magnitude than you have demonstrated, does that mean you and I should be
    rude too?

    I have a thick skin, BTW. The truth is that the ORIGINAL image looks like
    crap. I was seeking ways to make something decent out of that crap. I think
    I succeeded in improving the original dramatically. I realize the results
    aren't perfect.
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 13, 2003
  19. Tony Whitaker

    Enough Guest

    In article <Xns93B7AB029B94Bnewsgroupstonywhitak@198.99.146.10>,
    Tony Whitaker <newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote:

    > Todd Walker <> wrote in
    >
    > > You haven't spent much time on Usenet have you Tony? You need a little
    > > thicker skin.

    > Just because rudeness is common on usenet

    That's just Toddy. A blatant asshole!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Jul 13, 2003
  20. wrote in news::

    > Feather; Grow/Shrink (or PSP equivalents).

    Yeah - I did use the "Feather" option. I'm very happy with the results.
    There is a very slight light-gray halo in some of the darker areas, but I
    don't think it's noticeable. And, as I've mentioned already, the altered
    image looks much better than the original (which you see at the top of the
    3-image group).
    Tony Whitaker, Jul 15, 2003