Re: Finally, the Minolta DSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Elie A Shammas wrote:

    > Hold on to you Maxxum lenses.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1024&message=7624563
    >
    > Elie

    Again, you beat me to the punch Elie. But here's another link:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021220maxxum7digital.asp

    To all the Minolta Faithful who held out through the Canon storm,
    congratulations! The Maxxum 7 is a great platform for Minolta to start
    their DSLR series. I hope they also come out with a more rugged version
    and get into pace on the Mpix. It won't be out until the fall, but
    that's okay... in any case I'll wait a few months after to see how well
    it rates and hope that Minolta do a "9" digital too... I prefer metal
    bodies.

    Antishake too!

    It would appear (based on the 6 Mpix number) that they likely using the
    same Sony chip as the Nikon D100. I just hope that the ISO numbers are
    better than the Nikon.

    The challenge to Minolta will really be to get Canon 10D class images
    out of the camera. I'm still not convinced they will manage it, but I
    sure hope so.

    To all the naysayers, consider yourself rasberried!!!!

    Cheers,A
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > Elie A Shammas wrote:
    >
    > > Hold on to you Maxxum lenses.
    > >
    > > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1024&message=7624563
    > >
    > > Elie

    > Again, you beat me to the punch Elie. But here's another link:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021220maxxum7digital.asp
    >
    > To all the Minolta Faithful who held out through the Canon storm,
    > congratulations! The Maxxum 7 is a great platform for Minolta to start
    > their DSLR series. I hope they also come out with a more rugged version
    > and get into pace on the Mpix. It won't be out until the fall, but
    > that's okay... in any case I'll wait a few months after to see how well
    > it rates and hope that Minolta do a "9" digital too... I prefer metal
    > bodies.
    >
    > Antishake too!
    >
    > It would appear (based on the 6 Mpix number) that they likely using the
    > same Sony chip as the Nikon D100. I just hope that the ISO numbers are
    > better than the Nikon.
    >
    > The challenge to Minolta will really be to get Canon 10D class images
    > out of the camera. I'm still not convinced they will manage it, but I
    > sure hope so.
    >
    > To all the naysayers, consider yourself rasberried!!!!

    The announcement sure doesn't hurt K/M, but 9 months is a long time to wait.
    They're at the station, but the fast trains are already way out front.
    PhotoMan, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    PhotoMan wrote:

    > The announcement sure doesn't hurt K/M, but 9 months is a long time to wait.
    > They're at the station, but the fast trains are already way out front.

    9 months is a long time to wait? If you consider the Canon D30 as a
    reference point, it will be 4 years from that point to the sales release
    of the Maxxum 7 D! The remaining 7 to 9 months to get there is of no
    real consequence. Further:

    1. It's not like I'm dying to get a digital. I shoot slide and negative
    film hapilly on my two film bodies. Digital does not, and will not
    soon, compare to a projected slide in the slightest. Further, I have
    the Minolta DSE 5400 scanner that's left everyone else in the dust.

    2. Minolta held out on even talking about a DSLR all through the Konica
    merger, scaring the crap out of Minolta owners. There was a real
    (perceived anyway) danger of them dropping SLR's altogether...

    3. I have 6 Minolta lenses (plus TC's) with a purchase value in excess
    of US$10K. If Minolta had dropped SLR's, these would have had a rapidly
    declining resale value. So anything they do right to protect those
    lenses (which will likely outlast the digital cameras by far, in any
    case) is very good news to me.

    4. Minolta do not have the development budget for SLR's that Canon and
    Nikon do. I am just as happy that they conserved assets and learned
    from the rest of the manufacturers and the market. In the meantime,
    although outweighed by general customer delight, Canon have PO'd a
    number of customers with the serial releases of ever improving bodies
    resulting in premature devaluation of prior versions. Given my
    acquisition propensity, I have been pocketbook blessed by Minolta's
    tardiness.

    Cheers,

    Alan
    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 12, 2004
  4. "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > Again, you beat me to the punch Elie. But here's another link:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021220maxxum7digital.asp
    >
    > To all the Minolta Faithful who held out through the Canon storm,
    > congratulations! The Maxxum 7 is a great platform for Minolta to start
    > their DSLR series. I hope they also come out with a more rugged version
    > and get into pace on the Mpix. It won't be out until the fall, but
    > that's okay... in any case I'll wait a few months after to see how well
    > it rates and hope that Minolta do a "9" digital too... I prefer metal
    > bodies.
    >
    > Antishake too!
    >
    > It would appear (based on the 6 Mpix number) that they likely using the
    > same Sony chip as the Nikon D100. I just hope that the ISO numbers are
    > better than the Nikon.
    >
    > The challenge to Minolta will really be to get Canon 10D class images
    > out of the camera. I'm still not convinced they will manage it, but I
    > sure hope so.
    >
    > To all the naysayers, consider yourself rasberried!!!!
    >
    > Cheers,A
    > Alan

    The anti-shake's a really great feature ... even if it's not quite the 3
    stop saviour that is Canon's best IS lens, you're getting it on all lenses,
    new and old. I really hope this cam's a great success and prompts other
    mfr's - and eventually Canon - to adopt the same 'in-body' IS. I'd be
    surprised if the images are a match to a 10D's or S2's at 100% for noise
    levels but in all other respects they'll likely to be pretty much on par.
    The noise thing's badly over-scrutinised anyway - even at 18x12" a D100
    capture is effectively noiseless. Get a DSLR like this Alan and that scanner
    of yours will become an desktop ornament ; )
    --
    Simon
    http://www.pbase.com/phoenikz
    Simon Stanmore, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Simon Stanmore wrote:

    > The anti-shake's a really great feature ... even if it's not quite the 3
    > stop saviour that is Canon's best IS lens, you're getting it on all lenses,
    > new and old. I really hope this cam's a great success and prompts other
    > mfr's - and eventually Canon - to adopt the same 'in-body' IS. I'd be
    > surprised if the images are a match to a 10D's or S2's at 100% for noise

    Given that it appears more and more (no confo yet) to be the Sony chip
    (a la Nik D100), I'm afraid you're right on the noise count.

    re the AS, maybe Minolta can licence it to Canon/Nikon et al and puff up
    their development budget a bit...

    > levels but in all other respects they'll likely to be pretty much on par.
    > The noise thing's badly over-scrutinised anyway - even at 18x12" a D100
    > capture is effectively noiseless. Get a DSLR like this Alan and that scanner
    > of yours will become an desktop ornament ; )

    Nah, Velvia forever. I still owe you some comparison shots, don't I?
    My problem is selling my old ICE-less film scanner. It has been
    languishing in the camera 'used' case since Sept...

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > Antishake too!

    That is nice, but 6 Mp is a huge disappointment for a camera that
    won't be available for another 9 months. See below.

    > It would appear (based on the 6 Mpix number) that they likely
    > using the same Sony chip as the Nikon D100. I just hope that
    > the ISO numbers are better than the Nikon.

    Also the size of the sensor (APS C) lends credence to Sony origin.
    I find it absolutely incredible that Konica-Minolta would choose
    a sensor that has been available for about one year. This must be
    some kind of cruel hoax.
    Bill Tuthill, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    VT Guest

    The AutoFocussing (AF) of Minolta (film) SLRs just have seemed
    quicker, more responsive and able to focus in darker conditions when
    compared to their direct (price bracket) rivals of Canon and Nikon.

    This is especially true of their current range of film SLRs in the
    Maxxum/Dynax 7, 5 etc.

    However basing the new DSLR on the worthy Maxxum/Dynax 7 -
    but plaing a somewhat out-dated 6Mp APS-sized CCD just seems
    half-hearted.

    When Minolta introduced their first digicam it was the Minolta Dimage
    7 which was one of the very first 5Mp digicams -

    Now with the Konica/Minolta DSLR they are likely to be one of the LAST
    6Mp DSLRs
    (other than other brands' exisiting model updates/improvements).

    The main problem with 6Mp DSLRs is exactly the throw-back to the 35mm
    format 3:2 aspect ratio -
    which is great for snapshot size of 6x4 -
    but I think most people are looking more in the terms of 10x8 (5:4
    aspect ratio) , 16x12 (4:3) or even 20x16 (5:4)

    If one were to print to the 8" width for a 10x8-
    a 6Mp DSLR such as the popular Canon Digital Rebel (EOS-300D)
    (3072x2048pixels) can put down a maximum of 2048 pixels of an
    uncropped image......
    this is 256 ppi on paper.

    This MIGHT sound impressive -
    until one looks at a humble 5Mp p&s like say the Canon S50 (~$350
    street price) that captures 2592x1944 pixel images - at 10x8 printing
    to the 8" width - it can put down 1944 pixels on paper of an uncropped
    image ........
    this is 243 ppi -
    not that much difference.

    Of course one can argue that the Canon Digital Rebel has 3072 pixels
    on the longer dimension and if printed to 10" would be 307 ppi -
    whereas the 5Mp Canon S50 with only 2592 pixels will only manage 259
    ppi.........

    As I suggested it depends on how one prints to paper for a 10x8 -
    using the 8" width -
    the DSLR would be "wasting" - almost 17% of its pixels along the
    longer dimension or 512 pixel (rows)
    Whereas
    the 5Mp p&s (using a 4:3 aspect ratio) "wastes" only about 6% of its
    pixels along the longer dimension, or some 162 pixel (rows)

    So if the Minolta DSLR is slated to use an existing 6Mp sensor of the
    typical 3:2 ratio -
    it would be sadly out-of-date BEFORE it's even released.

    For 3:2 aspect ratio Konica/Minolta should really be considering about
    8Mp to get 300ppi printing to the 8" width.
    Or abandon the 3:2 ratio convention and go for the 4:3 ratio where
    precious pixels are utilized more effectively for the typical larger
    enlargement print sizes -
    which is what the majority of purchasers are looking to do
    then one might be able to get away with 6Mp
    although 7.2Mp (3200x2400) is probably a better target for 300ppi 10x8
    (printing to 8" width).
    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHING for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
    http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/
    VT, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >>Antishake too!

    > That is nice, but 6 Mp is a huge disappointment for a camera that
    > won't be available for another 9 months. See below.
    >

    >>It would appear (based on the 6 Mpix number) that they likely
    >>using the same Sony chip as the Nikon D100. I just hope that
    >>the ISO numbers are better than the Nikon.

    > Also the size of the sensor (APS C) lends credence to Sony origin.
    > I find it absolutely incredible that Konica-Minolta would choose
    > a sensor that has been available for about one year. This must be
    > some kind of cruel hoax.

    They gotta start somewhere. Look how fast they scaled up the A2. Maybe
    by then they'll upscale it in any case...

    Don't take it so hard. If you really want 16x24 prints (every day
    right?), use film.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    Doug Cutler Guest

    Good, good, good.
    I have been looking at digitals but have been really disappointed by
    their lack of flexibility, but thought I would just have to go that way.
    Now I can wait and have my cake and eat it!!. I have 2 Maxxum bodies and
    lenses from 20mm to 600mm (almost continuous coverage) plus filters, ring
    flash, etc, etc. Now it looks as if I can have the best of both worlds,
    hope the cost isn't totally out of this world though.
    Doug.

    Doug Cutler, Feb 12, 2004
  10. VT <> wrote in

    > However basing the new DSLR on the worthy Maxxum/Dynax 7 -
    > but plaing a somewhat out-dated 6Mp APS-sized CCD just seems
    > half-hearted.
    >
    > Now with the Konica/Minolta DSLR they are likely to be one of the LAST
    > 6Mp DSLRs
    > (other than other brands' exisiting model updates/improvements).

    Nothing wrong at all with "just" 6 Mpixels. With a larger sensor,
    like the one in this camere, you get a rather impressive result
    with 6 Mpixels.

    > This MIGHT sound impressive -
    > until one looks at a humble 5Mp p&s like say the Canon S50 (~$350
    > street price) that captures 2592x1944 pixel images - at 10x8 printing
    > to the 8" width - it can put down 1944 pixels on paper of an uncropped
    > image ........
    > this is 243 ppi -
    > not that much difference.

    You cannot compare a DSLR with an APS sized sensor with a humble
    P&S with a 2/3 sensor. The quality difference is huge. Moreover, on
    the DSLR you can put all Minoltas' fine lenses. A prime lens of
    the best quality is way better than any P&S zoom you can find.
    At ISO 1600 and a good prime F/2.0 lens you have something that
    is more than 10 times faster than a comparable P&S also. Not to
    talk about your 50/1.4 lens!!!! Now we are talking about no use
    for flash almost anywhere!

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Feb 12, 2004
  11. "Doug Cutler" <> wrote in news:lUSWb.3035$W74.260
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > I have been looking at digitals but have been really disappointed by
    > their lack of flexibility, but thought I would just have to go that way.
    > Now I can wait and have my cake and eat it!!. I have 2 Maxxum bodies and
    > lenses from 20mm to 600mm (almost continuous coverage) plus filters, ring
    > flash, etc, etc. Now it looks as if I can have the best of both worlds,
    > hope the cost isn't totally out of this world though.

    When Pentax introduced its first DSLR, it was somewhat to
    high priced. But ... not totally out of range. Just $1700
    where $1200 would have been more appropriate. But ... if you have
    lots of lenses, what does then $500 extra matter?

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Feb 12, 2004
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    VT wrote:

    > The AutoFocussing (AF) of Minolta (film) SLRs just have seemed
    > quicker, more responsive and able to focus in darker conditions when
    > compared to their direct (price bracket) rivals of Canon and Nikon.
    >
    > This is especially true of their current range of film SLRs in the
    > Maxxum/Dynax 7, 5 etc.
    >
    > However basing the new DSLR on the worthy Maxxum/Dynax 7 -
    > but plaing a somewhat out-dated 6Mp APS-sized CCD just seems
    > half-hearted.

    As I replied to Bill, they've go to start somewhere, and a first product
    type is either "take really big risks" or "take no risks". Minolta
    appear to have opted for the later. There is little wrong with 6 mpix.
    What bothers me more than the 6 Mpix is the notion of a camera that
    begins at ISO 200 (Although this part of the spec has not been released
    yet... if it is the same sensor as the D100 then this is likely). Also,
    compared to the 'king of 6 Mpix', the 10D, the images are not going to
    be quite as good.

    Minolta also leapt from the A1 (5 Mpix) to the A2 (8 Mpix) in a very
    short time. If there is the right size chip in 8mpix for the DSLR line,
    then maybe that will happen there too ... before even the Maxxum 7D is
    on the shelf.

    It just occured to me as well, that perhaps my real wish will come
    through: A metal bodied Maxxum 9 digital with an sensor in the 8 - 11
    Mpix range, maybe even a 36x24.... Now THAT would be impressive if the
    noise figure is right. Low ISO numbers 50 would be okay, 6 would be super.

    > When Minolta introduced their first digicam it was the Minolta Dimage
    > 7 which was one of the very first 5Mp digicams -
    >
    > Now with the Konica/Minolta DSLR they are likely to be one of the LAST
    > 6Mp DSLRs
    > (other than other brands' exisiting model updates/improvements).
    >
    > The main problem with 6Mp DSLRs is exactly the throw-back to the 35mm
    > format 3:2 aspect ratio -
    > which is great for snapshot size of 6x4 -
    > but I think most people are looking more in the terms of 10x8 (5:4
    > aspect ratio) , 16x12 (4:3) or even 20x16 (5:4)

    Ahem. The origin of the 8x10 print size is rooted in large part by the
    4x5/8x10 cameras of yore. When I print enlargements I get them hot out
    of the minilab at 8x12...I'll do the cropping, if any, thank you.

    The "proper" format should likely be one of:
    a) square
    b) 1:(SQRT(5)+1)/2 (Golden section)
    c) or follow ISO-216 (1:SQRT(2))

    With c) likely being the best for all things that end up printed with
    respect to paper stock, machinery, software, enlargements/reduction,
    etc. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

    <snipped the ppi stuff>

    > As I suggested it depends on how one prints to paper for a 10x8 -
    > using the 8" width -
    > the DSLR would be "wasting" - almost 17% of its pixels along the
    > longer dimension or 512 pixel (rows)
    > Whereas
    > the 5Mp p&s (using a 4:3 aspect ratio) "wastes" only about 6% of its
    > pixels along the longer dimension, or some 162 pixel (rows)
    >
    > So if the Minolta DSLR is slated to use an existing 6Mp sensor of the
    > typical 3:2 ratio -
    > it would be sadly out-of-date BEFORE it's even released.

    Tell me....do D30's still work? Of course they do. The Maxxum 7D will
    be the same, and able to print nice 4x6, 6x9, 8x12 ... etc.

    > For 3:2 aspect ratio Konica/Minolta should really be considering about
    > 8Mp to get 300ppi printing to the 8" width.

    Except to say that most (>>95%) people cannot tell the difference
    between a 300 and a 200 dpi print when viewed 'normally' for the size of
    the print. Ironically, they would more likely notice iton a 4x6 than on
    a 8x12!

    > Or abandon the 3:2 ratio convention and go for the 4:3 ratio where
    > precious pixels are utilized more effectively for the typical larger
    > enlargement print sizes -
    > which is what the majority of purchasers are looking to do
    > then one might be able to get away with 6Mp
    > although 7.2Mp (3200x2400) is probably a better target for 300ppi 10x8
    > (printing to 8" width).

    I believe the industry seems to have missed a golden opportunity to
    adapt the Golden section or ISO216 once and for all from sensor through
    the entire chain. Both are mathematically and esthetically pleasing;
    and -216 matches the paper proportions used in most of the world ...
    except North America (not sure about the UK).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 12, 2004
  13. Alan Browne

    VT Guest

    On 12 Feb 2004 22:23:15 GMT, Roland Karlsson
    <> wrote:

    >You cannot compare a DSLR with an APS sized sensor with a humble
    >P&S with a 2/3 sensor. The quality difference is huge. Moreover, on
    >the DSLR you can put all Minoltas' fine lenses. A prime lens of
    >the best quality is way better than any P&S zoom you can find.
    >At ISO 1600 and a good prime F/2.0 lens you have something that
    >is more than 10 times faster than a comparable P&S also. Not to
    >talk about your 50/1.4 lens!!!! Now we are talking about no use
    >for flash almost anywhere!

    You're not getting any disagreement from me on this -

    BUT I think you're missing most of the points -

    (1) Konica/Minolta are coming out with a NEW dslr on the
    TRAILING edge - was one of the points I was trying to make.

    (2) It's been the desire for some to have 10x8 at 300ppi prints -
    6Mp may well be impressive - but it just doesn't quite make it -
    WASTING a lot in its 3:2 aspect ratio (the other point I was trying to
    make)
    at 3:2 ratio one need almost 8Mp - whereas at 4:3 ratio one can use
    just 7.2Mp

    (3) - NEITHER of which seems that much of a stretch to me from the
    current 6Mp APS sized sensors and considering there are already
    SEVERAL announced 8Mp digicams - no, I would be the very first to
    agree that these tiny 8Mp sensor would be really noisy compared to the
    current 6Mp DSLRs - but I don't think the 6Mp will necessarily show
    better definition or actual resolving power and detail than any of the
    pending 8Mp (even if they are noiser than 6Mp at ISO400 and above)

    VT, Feb 12, 2004
  14. Alan Browne

    VT Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:58:03 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >As I replied to Bill, they've go to start somewhere, and a first product
    >type is either "take really big risks" or "take no risks". Minolta
    >appear to have opted for the later.
    >
    >Minolta also leapt from the A1 (5 Mpix) to the A2 (8 Mpix) in a very
    >short time. If there is the right size chip in 8mpix for the DSLR line,
    >then maybe that will happen there too ... before even the Maxxum 7D is
    >on the shelf.

    OK, I'll take your point -

    But knowing that the 6MP dSLR from Konica/Minolta is a "play it safe"
    - INTERIM product -
    would you buy one?

    I know I certainly would NOT (and I am a big Minolta (film) SLR fan) -
    because I'd be waiting for the 8Mp+ version.............

    So is 6Mp worth releasing at all?

    VT, Feb 12, 2004
  15. "Bill Tuthill" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Antishake too!

    > That is nice, but 6 Mp is a huge disappointment for a camera that
    > won't be available for another 9 months. See below.

    Hold on a second, sparky. Now I don't know about anyone else, but all i've
    seen from an 8mp sensor is the rather disappointing Sony F828 and the rather
    soft sample JPEGS Canon have put up to tout the 1DII. Now if further 8mp
    designs do down the road of cramming sensors into the same space as a 6mp
    sensor, then give me the 6mp anyday!

    For me the only disappointing thing about the Minolta is the pathetically
    bad company logo. Somehow, I feel only Konica will gain anything out of
    that.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    Martin Francis, Feb 13, 2004
  16. Alan Browne

    Tilman Kolk Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote in message news:<K_NWb.2434$>...

    > To all the Minolta Faithful who held out through the Canon storm,
    > congratulations! The Maxxum 7 is a great platform for Minolta to start
    > their DSLR series. I hope they also come out with a more rugged version
    > and get into pace on the Mpix. It won't be out until the fall, but
    > that's okay... in any case I'll wait a few months after to see how well
    > it rates and hope that Minolta do a "9" digital too... I prefer metal
    > bodies.

    Personally, I am disappointed, having to wait another 6 months.

    Damn.

    I use the Canon 300D now, but dont like it all. Stupid interface,
    stupid flash etc. I have been waiting for the a Minolta thing,
    at least they seem to understand making user-friendly interfaces.

    But another 6 months for a undoubtedly high-priced and (by then)
    relatively low pixel body ?
    This is news, but not of the good kind.

    Tilman.
    Tilman Kolk, Feb 13, 2004
  17. Alan Browne

    The Wogster Guest

    Martin Francis wrote:
    > "Bill Tuthill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Antishake too!

    >>That is nice, but 6 Mp is a huge disappointment for a camera that
    >>won't be available for another 9 months. See below.

    > Hold on a second, sparky. Now I don't know about anyone else, but all i've
    > seen from an 8mp sensor is the rather disappointing Sony F828 and the rather
    > soft sample JPEGS Canon have put up to tout the 1DII. Now if further 8mp
    > designs do down the road of cramming sensors into the same space as a 6mp
    > sensor, then give me the 6mp anyday!
    >
    > For me the only disappointing thing about the Minolta is the pathetically
    > bad company logo. Somehow, I feel only Konica will gain anything out of
    > that.

    As an old Konica fan, I think they could have had fun with it, how about
    these:

    Konolta,
    Minica,
    Minokonoltica,
    Koniminicaola???????

    Konica-Minolta sounds like no real thought went into it, they just
    bolted the two names together, sounds like either a lawyer or accountant
    came up with it. Gee guys, any dweeb with Windows paint could come up
    with a better logo..... how about making the top half the Konica
    rainbow and the bottom half Minolta blue with the new name in between to
    break them apart....

    As for sensor size, they would have been better to take the 6MP sensor
    and add an extra .5MP on all sides making a 25% larger sensor.

    The Wogster, Feb 13, 2004
  18. Alan Browne

    ThomasH Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Elie A Shammas wrote:
    >
    > > Hold on to you Maxxum lenses.
    > >
    > > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1024&message=7624563
    > >
    > > Elie

    > Again, you beat me to the punch Elie. But here's another link:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021220maxxum7digital.asp
    >
    > To all the Minolta Faithful who held out through the Canon storm,
    > congratulations! The Maxxum 7 is a great platform for Minolta to start
    > their DSLR series. I hope they also come out with a more rugged version
    > and get into pace on the Mpix. It won't be out until the fall, but
    > that's okay... in any case I'll wait a few months after to see how well
    > it rates and hope that Minolta do a "9" digital too... I prefer metal
    > bodies.
    >
    > Antishake too!

    Great for you! We just spoke about this a few days ago and
    there it is real now! The AS technology might in the future
    also tilt the sensor to come closer to the ability of Canon
    IS or Nikon VR. I think that both Canon and Nikon should
    seriously look into this technology.

    > It would appear (based on the 6 Mpix number) that they likely using the
    > same Sony chip as the Nikon D100. I just hope that the ISO numbers are
    > better than the Nikon.

    Well, so far the 3200 (or 6400 "boost") of the D100 or the 10D
    are the top values not challenged by anybody. Maybe we need
    cooling elements (peltier?) attached to the sensor to lower
    the noise even further?

    Currently everybody seems to be more concerned about making
    more Megapixel sensors and not about increasing low light
    abilities or providing more dynamic range. I for onece would
    like to always see a clear specification of number of bits per
    pixel provided by the camera as my *primary* decision factor.

    But, since the A2 seems to be the only 8Mpix EVF camera with
    ISO 800 (Nikon, Canon and Sony all stop at 400 in their 8Mpix
    models) maybe Minolta has here a surprise for its users as well?

    May I ask you as a long term serious Minolta user: Why the name
    "Konica-Minolta"?? What was Minoltas comment on this new brand
    name? On the surface it appeared to me that the brand Minolta
    carries much more weight. Konica went out of SLR business long
    ago, I even would not know what they still do, except for a few
    35mm films and photo paper!

    Thomas

    PS: I used to own a MD-7 many years ago, but I returned back
    to Nikon after 6 months of playing with the Minolta...
    The MD-7 simply would not work in humid conditions and also
    in freezing conditions my old Nikkormat would keep clicking
    while the MD-7 was dead... :-(

    ThomasH, Feb 13, 2004
  19. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Martin Francis wrote:

    > For me the only disappointing thing about the Minolta is the pathetically
    > bad company logo. Somehow, I feel only Konica will gain anything out of
    > that.

    Concur. I still refuse to use the K word. Cheers, Alan
    Alan Browne, Feb 13, 2004
  20. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Doug Cutler wrote:

    > Good, good, good.
    > I have been looking at digitals but have been really disappointed by
    > their lack of flexibility, but thought I would just have to go that way.
    > Now I can wait and have my cake and eat it!!. I have 2 Maxxum bodies and
    > lenses from 20mm to 600mm (almost continuous coverage) plus filters, ring
    > flash, etc, etc. Now it looks as if I can have the best of both worlds,
    > hope the cost isn't totally out of this world though.
    > Doug.

    I'll echo Rolland K's comments ... with the glass investment I have, the
    price of the body is not a huge concern. I hope it is less than $1500,
    and I won't hesitate at $1000. I look at the A1 price plunge, and I
    have to guess that the price won't be too much out of line with that.
    The price should be around the D100 (IMO), but we'll see.

    In any case, until I see the reports on it, I ain't touching it. By
    then, it'll be time for the next PMA... At this rate I won't have a
    DSLR until the fall of 2005. A lot can happen by then. Inevitably, one
    day, I'll jump in.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Feb 13, 2004