Re: Finally, someone in DC with a set of balls!! No apologyrequired!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ray, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. ray

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:28:45 -0400, Larry Thong wrote:

    > It's refreshing to see someone "sticking to their guns" and not caving
    > into pressure to give false apologies like some previous politicians and
    > scumbag businesses do when they get caught doing things they shouldn't
    > be doing.
    >
    > Hollow apologies no longer work for damage control. I'm proud of
    > Grayson for speaking the truth and then going on CNN and giving the
    > Republicans a real tongue lashing. He's not backing down, nor should
    > he!! This is why Obama and the Dems are in office, because America is
    > sick and tired of the lies and unethical tactics the Republicans
    > perpetrated the last eight years.
    >
    > <http://www.newser.com/story/70655/dem-wont-apologize-for-die-quickly-

    gag.html>

    Interesting to note that in conjuction with the obamacare policies, a
    recent Newseek magazine cover story was 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on
    Granny'.

    ray, Oct 1, 2009

  2. ray

    Twibil Guest

    On Oct 1, 10:30 am, ray <> wrote:

    > Interesting to note that in conjuction with the obamacare policies, a
    > recent Newseek magazine cover story was 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on
    > Granny'.

    (A) There is no such thing as "Obamacare": it's only a slur invented
    by far right fruitloops to describe any change whatsoever from the
    present system.

    (B) The last time anyone looked, the White House didn't control
    Newsweek's content. Or vica-versa.

    (C) The insurance companies have already been "Pulling the Plug on
    Granny" for decades now. And funding multi-million-dollar executive
    pay packages and golden parachutes with the profits they've reaped
    thereby. (And "reaped" *is* the word.)

    Twibil, Oct 1, 2009

  3. ray

    Walter Banks Guest

    Twibil wrote:

    > (C) The insurance companies have already been "Pulling the Plug on
    > Granny" for decades now. And funding multi-million-dollar executive
    > pay packages and golden parachutes with the profits they've reaped
    > thereby. (And "reaped" *is* the word.)

    I am actually surprised that a class action wrongful death lawsuit
    has not been filed over treatment denials for the elderly. Either
    it is not a real issue (treatment denial) or there is some blanket
    legal protection for the insurance companies.

    w..

    Walter Banks, Oct 1, 2009
  4. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:23:31 -0700, Twibil wrote:

    > On Oct 1, 10:30 am, ray <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Interesting to note that in conjuction with the obamacare policies, a
    >> recent Newseek magazine cover story was 'The Case for Pulling the Plug
    >> on Granny'.

    > (A) There is no such thing as "Obamacare": it's only a slur invented by
    > far right fruitloops to describe any change whatsoever from the present
    > system.

    OK - call it what you will - a rose by any other name . . .

    > (B) The last time anyone looked, the White House didn't control
    > Newsweek's content. Or vica-versa.

    right

    > (C) The insurance companies have already been "Pulling the Plug on
    > Granny" for decades now. And funding multi-million-dollar executive pay
    > packages and golden parachutes with the profits they've reaped thereby.
    > (And "reaped" *is* the word.)

    B.S. I've had first hand experience here (with three deceased parents or
    parents-in-law). Everything was done that should have been done up to the
    end.

    ray, Oct 1, 2009
  5. ray

    Twibil Guest

    On Oct 1, 11:29 am, Walter Banks <> wrote:
    > Twibil wrote:
    > > (C) The insurance companies have already been "Pulling the Plug on
    > > Granny" for decades now. And funding multi-million-dollar executive
    > > pay packages and golden parachutes with the profits they've reaped
    > > thereby. (And "reaped" *is* the word.)

    > I am actually surprised that a class action wrongful death lawsuit
    > has not been filed over treatment denials for the elderly. Either
    > it is not a real issue (treatment denial)  or there is some blanket
    > legal protection for the insurance companies.

    Dunno about the legal requirements for a class action suit, but people
    -including plenty of elderly people- sue insurance companies for
    denial of treatment every single day, and some of them even win.
    Eventually.

    But (A) the big insurance companies can and do afford the very best
    lawyers that money can buy, while Grandma has to find some back-alley
    Bozo who'll take the case on a contingency basis. Next, (B) the
    insurance lawyers invariably delay the case for as long as they
    possibly can, hoping that (C) Grandma will give up in disgust and
    settle for a fraction of what she would have collected otherwise, or
    (D) Grandma will die before the suit can be settled.

    Now: since we know that Grandma was ailing to begin with, *and* that
    she was denied treatment for that ailment, you can see that (D)
    happens quite a bit more frequently than not.

    And the reason that they keep doing this is very simple: it's
    *extremely* profitable.

    Twibil, Oct 2, 2009
  6. ray

    Twibil Guest

    On Oct 1, 12:10 pm, ray <> wrote:

    > > (C) The insurance companies have already been "Pulling the Plug on
    > > Granny" for decades now. And funding multi-million-dollar executive pay
    > > packages and golden parachutes with the profits they've reaped thereby.
    > > (And "reaped" *is* the word.)

    > B.S. I've had first hand experience here (with three deceased parents or
    > parents-in-law). Everything was done that should have been done up to the
    > end.

    And of course your personal example proves that insurance companies
    always -or even usually- do the right thing.

    (Throws arm around Ray's shoulders and grins.) Pal, I've got a bridge
    and some Florida swampland that you're going to be *very* interested
    in!

    Twibil, Oct 2, 2009
  7. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:32:59 -0700, Twibil wrote:

    > On Oct 1, 12:10 pm, ray <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > (C) The insurance companies have already been "Pulling the Plug on
    >> > Granny" for decades now. And funding multi-million-dollar executive
    >> > pay packages and golden parachutes with the profits they've reaped
    >> > thereby. (And "reaped" *is* the word.)

    >> B.S. I've had first hand experience here (with three deceased parents
    >> or parents-in-law). Everything was done that should have been done up
    >> to the end.

    > And of course your personal example proves that insurance companies
    > always -or even usually- do the right thing.

    No it's a counterclaim for what you say always happens.

    > (Throws arm around Ray's shoulders and grins.) Pal, I've got a bridge
    > and some Florida swampland that you're going to be *very* interested in!

    Swampland in Florida is a dime an acre - now let me tell you about some
    really interesting swampland in Arizona . . . and a bridge, as well -
    used to be in London.

    ray, Oct 2, 2009
  8. ray

    Ray Fischer Guest

    ray <> wrote:

    >>> B.S. I've had first hand experience here (with three deceased parents
    >>> or parents-in-law). Everything was done that should have been done up
    >>> to the end.

    >> And of course your personal example proves that insurance companies
    >> always -or even usually- do the right thing.

    >No it's a counterclaim for what you say always happens.

    Nobody made any claim about "always happens".

    Learn to tell the truth.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 2, 2009
  9. ray

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 06:41:59 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:

    > ray <> wrote:

    >>> And of course your personal example proves that insurance companies
    >>> always -or even usually- do the right thing.

    >>No it's a counterclaim for what you say always happens.

    > Nobody made any claim about "always happens".
    >
    > Learn to tell the truth.

    Truth. OK, let's get back to the original comment: some doofus demo
    claimed that the republican concept of health care reform was to 'die
    early'. Meanwhile, Newsweek (hardly a bastion of conservatism) explains
    obamacare (or whatever you want to call it) with a cover page article
    about 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on Grandma' - so who is telling the
    truth?

    ray, Oct 2, 2009
  10. ray

    Ray Fischer Guest

    ray <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 06:41:59 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> ray <> wrote:

    >>>No it's a counterclaim for what you say always happens.

    >> Nobody made any claim about "always happens".
    >>
    >> Learn to tell the truth.

    >Truth. OK, let's get back to the original comment: some doofus demo
    >claimed that the republican concept of health care reform was to 'die
    >early'.

    Yep. He was pretty much right.

    >Meanwhile, Newsweek (hardly a bastion of conservatism) explains
    >obamacare (or whatever you want to call it) with a cover page article
    >about 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on Grandma' - so who is telling the
    >truth?

    Do you even know what Newsweek was writing about? Or are you just
    some knee-jerk rightard screeching about some magazine's article?

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 2, 2009
  11. ray

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:25:58 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:

    > ray <> wrote:

    >>> Nobody made any claim about "always happens".
    >>>
    >>> Learn to tell the truth.

    >>Truth. OK, let's get back to the original comment: some doofus demo
    >>claimed that the republican concept of health care reform was to 'die
    >>early'.

    > Yep. He was pretty much right.
    >
    >>Meanwhile, Newsweek (hardly a bastion of conservatism) explains
    >>obamacare (or whatever you want to call it) with a cover page article
    >>about 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on Grandma' - so who is telling the
    >>truth?

    > Do you even know what Newsweek was writing about? Or are you just some
    > knee-jerk rightard screeching about some magazine's article?

    Obvious baiting questions not answered.

    I can read and comprehend. From where I sit, it certainly appears it is
    the demos rather than the reps who are 'into' health care rationing -
    deciding who it is cost effective to keep alive. That also coincides with
    my recent personal experiences.

    ray, Oct 2, 2009
  12. Re: Finally, someone in DC with a set of balls!! No apology required!

    On 10/2/2009 9:01 AM ray spake thus:

    > On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 06:41:59 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >
    > Truth. OK, let's get back to the original comment: some doofus demo
    > claimed that the republican concept of health care reform was to 'die
    > early'. Meanwhile, Newsweek (hardly a bastion of conservatism)
    > explains obamacare (or whatever you want to call it) with a cover
    > page article about 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on Grandma' - so
    > who is telling the truth?

    Well, it's obvious that *you* haven't read the article, doofus:

    http://www.newsweek.com/id/215291

    Try doing so before shooting off your mouth further.

    The Case for Killing Granny
    Rethinking end-of-life care.

    Excerpt:

    The idea that we might ration health care to seniors (or anyone else)
    is political anathema. Politicians do not dare breathe the R word,
    lest they be accused—however wrongly—of trying to pull the plug on
    Grandma. But the need to spend less money on the elderly at the end
    of life is the elephant in the room in the health-reform debate.
    Everyone sees it but no one wants to talk about it. At a more basic
    level, Americans are afraid not just of dying, but of talking and
    thinking about death. Until Americans learn to contemplate death as
    more than a scientific challenge to be overcome, our health-care
    system will remain unfixable.

    David Nebenzahl, Oct 2, 2009
  13. ray

    Ray Fischer Guest

    ray <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:25:58 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >> ray <> wrote:

    >>>Truth. OK, let's get back to the original comment: some doofus demo
    >>>claimed that the republican concept of health care reform was to 'die
    >>>early'.

    >> Yep. He was pretty much right.
    >>
    >>>Meanwhile, Newsweek (hardly a bastion of conservatism) explains
    >>>obamacare (or whatever you want to call it) with a cover page article
    >>>about 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on Grandma' - so who is telling the
    >>>truth?

    >> Do you even know what Newsweek was writing about? Or are you just some
    >> knee-jerk rightard screeching about some magazine's article?

    >Obvious baiting questions not answered.

    RUn along, rightard.

    >I can read and comprehend.

    An 8-word headline. That's about the limit of the rightard's thinking ability.

    > From where I sit, it certainly appears it is
    >the demos rather than the reps who are 'into' health care rationing -

    It wingnut wacko world health care for all Americans is rationing
    and health care for 85% of Americans is not rationing.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 2, 2009
  14. ray

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:41:24 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

    > On 10/2/2009 9:01 AM ray spake thus:
    >
    >> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 06:41:59 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >>
    >> Truth. OK, let's get back to the original comment: some doofus demo
    >> claimed that the republican concept of health care reform was to 'die
    >> early'. Meanwhile, Newsweek (hardly a bastion of conservatism) explains
    >> obamacare (or whatever you want to call it) with a cover page article
    >> about 'The Case for Pulling the Plug on Grandma' - so who is telling
    >> the truth?

    > Well, it's obvious that *you* haven't read the article, doofus:
    >
    > http://www.newsweek.com/id/215291
    >
    > Try doing so before shooting off your mouth further.
    >
    > The Case for Killing Granny
    > Rethinking end-of-life care.
    >
    > Excerpt:
    >
    > The idea that we might ration health care to seniors (or anyone else)
    > is political anathema. Politicians do not dare breathe the R word,
    > lest they be accused—however wrongly—of trying to pull the plug on
    > Grandma. But the need to spend less money on the elderly at the end
    > of life is the elephant in the room in the health-reform debate.
    > Everyone sees it but no one wants to talk about it. At a more basic
    > level, Americans are afraid not just of dying, but of talking and
    > thinking about death. Until Americans learn to contemplate death as
    > more than a scientific challenge to be overcome, our health-care
    > system will remain unfixable.

    Well, for what it's worth, I have experienced health care rationing - in
    a government run program - and not with my private insurance. I'm
    diabetic - and when I was diagnosed, I was using only my private
    insurance. I've had absolutely no problem getting all the materials I've
    needed to handle the disease. A couple of years ago, I signed up with the
    VA (since I am a Vietnam era vet). My first visit, I was told that the VA
    would supply test strips for me to check my blood glucose twice per week.
    If you know anything about diabetes and the management thereof, you'll be
    aware that diabetics who are actively controlling their disease need to
    test daily - at time, several times per day. I was also told that the VA
    regimen did not include metformin - a low cost drug that has been
    available for many years. The doctor told me that in private practice,
    she would certainly prescribe that for me - but could not under the VA
    protocol. A year ago I was informed that they now provide metformin, but
    not the extended release version which works so well for me.

    So there you have it - rationing in the system which has been heralded as
    a glowing example for the federal health care system to the detriment of
    my care while private insurance provides everything I need.

    Are you sure you want a government controlled health care system? I doubt
    it would be any better than the VA system after which it would be modeled
    - probably worse.

    EOT

    ray, Oct 2, 2009
  15. ray

    Rol_Lei Nut Guest

    ray wrote:

    > Well, for what it's worth, I have experienced health care rationing - in
    > a government run program - and not with my private insurance. I'm
    > diabetic - and when I was diagnosed, I was using only my private
    > insurance. I've had absolutely no problem getting all the materials I've
    > needed to handle the disease. A couple of years ago, I signed up with the
    > VA (since I am a Vietnam era vet). My first visit, I was told that the VA
    > would supply test strips for me to check my blood glucose twice per week.
    > If you know anything about diabetes and the management thereof, you'll be
    > aware that diabetics who are actively controlling their disease need to
    > test daily - at time, several times per day. I was also told that the VA
    > regimen did not include metformin - a low cost drug that has been
    > available for many years. The doctor told me that in private practice,
    > she would certainly prescribe that for me - but could not under the VA
    > protocol. A year ago I was informed that they now provide metformin, but
    > not the extended release version which works so well for me.
    >
    > So there you have it - rationing in the system which has been heralded as
    > a glowing example for the federal health care system to the detriment of
    > my care while private insurance provides everything I need.
    >
    > Are you sure you want a government controlled health care system? I doubt
    > it would be any better than the VA system after which it would be modeled
    > - probably worse.

    1) Yes it is clear that in its current form, the U.S. health system does
    not work.

    2) Look at the systems used in almost all (or is it all?) of the other
    *first World* nations: Your problem would be handled far better.

    3) The rumours and "facts" presented by some types of media *may* not be
    true: Have a look into less biased sources for a better overview.

    Rol_Lei Nut, Oct 2, 2009
  16. ray

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:32:00 +0200, Rol_Lei Nut wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >

    >> Well, for what it's worth, I have experienced health care rationing -
    >> in a government run program - and not with my private insurance. I'm
    >> diabetic - and when I was diagnosed, I was using only my private
    >> insurance. I've had absolutely no problem getting all the materials
    >> I've needed to handle the disease. A couple of years ago, I signed up
    >> with the VA (since I am a Vietnam era vet). My first visit, I was told
    >> that the VA would supply test strips for me to check my blood glucose
    >> twice per week. If you know anything about diabetes and the management
    >> thereof, you'll be aware that diabetics who are actively controlling
    >> their disease need to test daily - at time, several times per day. I
    >> was also told that the VA regimen did not include metformin - a low
    >> cost drug that has been available for many years. The doctor told me
    >> that in private practice, she would certainly prescribe that for me -
    >> but could not under the VA protocol. A year ago I was informed that
    >> they now provide metformin, but not the extended release version which
    >> works so well for me.
    >>
    >> So there you have it - rationing in the system which has been heralded
    >> as a glowing example for the federal health care system to the
    >> detriment of my care while private insurance provides everything I
    >> need.
    >>
    >> Are you sure you want a government controlled health care system? I
    >> doubt it would be any better than the VA system after which it would be
    >> modeled - probably worse.

    > 1) Yes it is clear that in its current form, the U.S. health system does
    > not work.

    The kicker is that for most of us, it's working fine. Yes, there are some
    folks for whom care is suboptimal.

    > 2) Look at the systems used in almost all (or is it all?) of the other
    > *first World* nations: Your problem would be handled far better.

    Matter of opinion. I've seen the British system first hand (lived in
    Scotland for nearly two years) - quite frankly, I think what I have now
    is better.

    > 3) The rumours and "facts" presented by some types of media *may* not be
    > true: Have a look into less biased sources for a better overview.

    If you can find some 'less biased sources' I'd be very interested. There
    is a reason it's referred to as 'the liberal media'.

    ray, Oct 2, 2009
  17. ray

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Finally, someone in DC with a set of balls!! No apology required!

    On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:17:36 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
    <> wrote:

    >> 1) Yes it is clear that in its current form, the U.S. health system does
    >> not work.

    >It works fine for me, and I just want Obama and the rest of those leftists
    >to keep their sleazy hands off it. Furthermore, of all my friends and
    >relatives I do not know a single one who isn't 100% satisfied with their
    >present health care. Not a single one that I know of wants any part of
    >ObamaCare.

    Using your logic, I am opposed to all research into cancer cures and
    prevention because I don't have cancer and none of my family or
    friends do. I am also opposed to medical treatment for STDs for the
    same reason.

    Whatever you've got, or will get, I will be opposed to finding a cure
    for if I don't suffer from the same problem.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 2, 2009
  18. ray

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:24:12 -0400, John A. wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 18:10:15 -0400, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:

    >>>It works fine for me, and I just want Obama and the rest of those
    >>>leftists to keep their sleazy hands off it. Furthermore, of all my
    >>>friends and relatives I do not know a single one who isn't 100%
    >>>satisfied with their present health care. Not a single one that I know
    >>>of wants any part of ObamaCare.

    >>Using your logic, I am opposed to all research into cancer cures and
    >>prevention because I don't have cancer and none of my family or friends
    >>do. I am also opposed to medical treatment for STDs for the same
    >>reason.
    >>
    >>Whatever you've got, or will get, I will be opposed to finding a cure
    >>for if I don't suffer from the same problem.

    > As I mentioned elsewhere, conservatives seem to have a rather narrow
    > definition of America and Americans. I think it is a large part of why
    > they don't think there's a problem. (At least for those who honestly do
    > think there's no problem.)

    There is indeed a problem - it simply does not warrant throwing the baby
    out with the bath water!

    ray, Oct 3, 2009
  19. ray

    Irwell Guest

    Re: Finally, someone in DC with a set of balls!! No apology required!

    On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:17:36 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

    >> *first World* nations: Your problem would be handled far better.

    > Not in Britain evidently, where the death rate from prostate cancer is
    > several times higher than in the U.S. -- the reason being that we get far
    > better early screening which is imperative to successful treatment.

    And
    > prostate cancer is a leading killer of men.

    That is because most are elderly anyway, that PSA scam has been debunked.
    I stopped having it 15 years ago, still going great in my 80s.

    As a survivor of it myself, I am
    > goddamn glad I live here and not over there.

    Not according to this site.
    http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/prostate/mortality/

    Irwell, Oct 3, 2009
  20. Re: Finally, someone in DC with a set of balls!! No apology required!

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    >"Rol_Lei Nut" <> wrote in message
    >> ray wrote:
    >>> Are you sure you want a government controlled health care system? I doubt
    >>> it would be any better than the VA system after which it would be
    >>> modeled - probably worse.

    >> 1) Yes it is clear that in its current form, the U.S. health system does
    >> not work.

    >It works fine for me, and I just want Obama and the rest of those leftists
    >to keep their sleazy hands off it. Furthermore, of all my friends and
    >relatives I do not know a single one who isn't 100% satisfied with their
    >present health care. Not a single one that I know of wants any part of
    >ObamaCare.

    You must have a very selected (or very small) circle of friends and
    relatives. After all, almost every 5th person in the US does not have
    health insurance (U.S. Census Bureau, based on data from 2007: 46
    million Americans, or 18 percent of the population under the age of 65).
    Chances are this number got much worse with the downturn in the economy.

    On the other hand, a society must be exceptionally strong if it can
    afford to loose 45000 people annually because of missing health care.
    <quote>
    Conclusions
    Lack of health insurance is associated with as many as 44789 deaths per
    year in the United States,
    </quote>
    Source: recent Harvard study, full report at
    http://pnhp.org/excessdeaths/health-insurance-and-mortality-in-US-adults.pdf
    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 3, 2009