Re: Filters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Oct 23, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Oct 21, 7:59 pm, wrote:
    > Can someone tell me what a good filter manufacturer is? I bought a Fujifilm
    > HS30EXR, which accepts 58mm filters. I want to get a protective filter for it.
    > The Fuji filter costs $59 which seems a little steep to me. A check of Amazon
    > has filters for as low as $4, but I don't know as I should/could trust them. I
    > see Vivitar listed as an option. Any others I could trust? Thanks.

    There is also the option of not using a filter at all.

    Unlike film, there is no need for UV for digital. You won't be able
    to tell any difference using one, other than the negative artifacts
    generated by the filter, itself, such as flare and reflections. If
    you spend a whole lot of money, you can make it seem like the filter
    isn't there. Or you can just take it off and do the same thing.

    I know it is scary. I used to belong in the "protection filter" camp,
    myself. But I've been swayed to the other side. A corollary is, your
    lens doesn't need to be kept perfectly clean. You will never see the
    effect of a fingerprint on the front lens in your image.

    otter, Oct 23, 2012

  2. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/22/2012 7:51 PM, otter wrote:
    > On Oct 21, 7:59 pm, wrote:
    >> Can someone tell me what a good filter manufacturer is? I bought a Fujifilm
    >> HS30EXR, which accepts 58mm filters. I want to get a protective filter for it.
    >> The Fuji filter costs $59 which seems a little steep to me. A check of Amazon
    >> has filters for as low as $4, but I don't know as I should/could trust them. I
    >> see Vivitar listed as an option. Any others I could trust? Thanks.

    > There is also the option of not using a filter at all.
    >
    > Unlike film, there is no need for UV for digital. You won't be able
    > to tell any difference using one, other than the negative artifacts
    > generated by the filter, itself, such as flare and reflections. If
    > you spend a whole lot of money, you can make it seem like the filter
    > isn't there. Or you can just take it off and do the same thing.
    >
    > I know it is scary. I used to belong in the "protection filter" camp,
    > myself. But I've been swayed to the other side. A corollary is, your
    > lens doesn't need to be kept perfectly clean. You will never see the
    > effect of a fingerprint on the front lens in your image.

    I usually don't use a protection filter either. But I would think that a
    fingerprint on the lens can cause some aberration if a light source was
    present, at an inappropriate angle.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 23, 2012

  3. otter

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    otter <> wrote:

    > Unlike film, there is no need for UV for digital.

    true.

    > You won't be able
    > to tell any difference using one, other than the negative artifacts
    > generated by the filter, itself, such as flare and reflections.

    if you get quality filters, you won't notice any flare or reflections,
    but if you get cheap filters you will, especially non-coated ones.

    > If you spend a whole lot of money, you can make it seem like the filter
    > isn't there. Or you can just take it off and do the same thing.

    depends what the filter does and under what conditions you're shooting.

    > I know it is scary. I used to belong in the "protection filter" camp,
    > myself. But I've been swayed to the other side. A corollary is, your
    > lens doesn't need to be kept perfectly clean. You will never see the
    > effect of a fingerprint on the front lens in your image.

    you may not notice the effects of a fingerprint, but you might notice
    the results of scratches. if nothing else, a scratched lens will
    certainly kill resale value.

    nospam, Oct 23, 2012