Re: Filter Settings for Adobe Raw Plugin and 10D?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:47:40 -0700, in
    <bgkoc2$phn4e$-berlin.de>, "PTRAVEL"
    <> said:

    >Has anyone found a consistent filter or other correction for removing the
    >slight magenta cast that results when using the Adobe RAW plugin for
    >Photoshop and/or Elements?

    I haven't run into such a cast yet, myself, (although I can imagine one
    appearing, given that the plugin is balanced for the D60 colour curve,
    which is different to that of the 10D). That said, I'd suggest tweaking
    the slider that's under the WB slider on the main plugin window. If I
    was seeing such a problem consistantly, I'd probably make up an action
    to correct it in 16 bit mode in Photoshop itself.

    What sort of shots are the ones where you're seeing this cast?

    Lionel, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Lionel

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Lionel" <> wrote in message news:bgkot9$cis$...
    > On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:47:40 -0700, in
    > <bgkoc2$phn4e$-berlin.de>, "PTRAVEL"
    > <> said:
    >
    > >Has anyone found a consistent filter or other correction for removing the
    > >slight magenta cast that results when using the Adobe RAW plugin for
    > >Photoshop and/or Elements?

    > I haven't run into such a cast yet, myself, (although I can imagine one
    > appearing, given that the plugin is balanced for the D60 colour curve,
    > which is different to that of the 10D). That said, I'd suggest tweaking
    > the slider that's under the WB slider on the main plugin window. If I
    > was seeing such a problem consistantly, I'd probably make up an action
    > to correct it in 16 bit mode in Photoshop itself.
    >
    > What sort of shots are the ones where you're seeing this cast?

    I'm going mostly by rumor and innuendo. ;)

    However, yesterday I printed 8 x 10s of a close up of a blue morning-glory
    flower (lots of green in the background). I printed one in Photoshop
    Elements, using the RAW plug-in, no adjustments. For the other, I used the
    transfer feature of the File Viewer Utility to export to Photoshop 7, and
    printed from there. There was, indeed, a very subtle magenta cast to the
    print made with the plug-in. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I
    wasn't looking for it, but it's there.

    I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I understand it,
    white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red and blue. Similarly,
    tint varies red and green. There's no specific setting in the plug-in that
    would handle the secondaries (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like
    magenta.)

    PTRAVEL, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Lionel

    Flycaster Guest

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going mostly by rumor and innuendo. ;)
    >
    > However, yesterday I printed 8 x 10s of a close up of a blue morning-glory
    > flower (lots of green in the background). I printed one in Photoshop
    > Elements, using the RAW plug-in, no adjustments. For the other, I used

    the
    > transfer feature of the File Viewer Utility to export to Photoshop 7, and
    > printed from there. There was, indeed, a very subtle magenta cast to the
    > print made with the plug-in. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I
    > wasn't looking for it, but it's there.
    >
    > I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I understand it,
    > white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red and blue. Similarly,
    > tint varies red and green. There's no specific setting in the plug-in

    that
    > would handle the secondaries (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like
    > magenta.)

    Why don't you just use PS or PS Elements to eliminate the color cast? It is
    pretty basic stuff and, after all, that *is* one of the reasons why you have
    the software. ;)
    Flycaster, Aug 6, 2003
  4. In article <3f314505$>,
    "Flycaster" <> wrote:

    > > I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I
    > > understand it, white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red
    > > and blue. Similarly, tint varies red and green. There's no
    > > specific setting in the plug-in that would handle the secondaries
    > > (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like magenta.)

    As far as I can tell, tint varies green-magenta. So dropping the tint a
    little should clear your magenta cast. Did you try it?

    David Eppstein, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:01:16 -0700, in
    <>, David Eppstein
    <> said:

    >In article <3f314505$>,
    > "Flycaster" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I
    >> > understand it, white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red
    >> > and blue. Similarly, tint varies red and green. There's no
    >> > specific setting in the plug-in that would handle the secondaries
    >> > (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like magenta.)

    >As far as I can tell, tint varies green-magenta. So dropping the tint a
    >little should clear your magenta cast. Did you try it?

    Heh. This was the advice I gave in the first place. (Although I could've
    possibly phrased it more clearly, admittedly.)

    Lionel, Aug 10, 2003