Re: Fileserver/desktop search engine

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a search engine for use on our Windows network. We
    > mainly need to search the fileserver but searching on the local
    > workstations, especially Outlook, would be useful too.
    >
    > We need to control access to the fileserver for different groups
    > though.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene

    Some ideas to explore:

    - Search Express is, I believe, free from MS and specifically for
    server side install.

    - Desktop Search, but I have no idea what impact it would have on a
    server. If you are going down that path, I strongly advise you test
    it first before going anywhere near a production server.

    Please do post back and let us know what you went with as I, and
    probably others, would be very interested.

    Thanks,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Sep 5, 2008

  2. Alan

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:21:32 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >Some ideas to explore:
    >
    > - Search Express is, I believe, free from MS and specifically for
    >server side install.
    >
    > - Desktop Search, but I have no idea what impact it would have on a
    >server. If you are going down that path, I strongly advise you test
    >it first before going anywhere near a production server.
    >

    >Please do post back and let us know what you went with as I, and
    >probably others, would be very interested.

    I hadn't heard of Search Express, but I've downloaded a copy and I'll
    try it out.

    I'll let the group know what I end up using.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Sep 5, 2008

  3. Alan

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:21:32 +1200, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Some ideas to explore:
    > >
    > > - Search Express is, I believe, free from MS and specifically for
    > >server side install.
    > >
    > > - Desktop Search, but I have no idea what impact it would have on a
    > >server. If you are going down that path, I strongly advise you test
    > >it first before going anywhere near a production server.
    > >

    > >Please do post back and let us know what you went with as I, and
    > >probably others, would be very interested.

    > I hadn't heard of Search Express, but I've downloaded a copy and I'll
    > try it out.

    I didn't like it. Not enough options to set to provide the sort of
    searching I wanted (initially, just Outlook (ie Exchange) data
    indexing).

    See reply re Search V4 on your other msg.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 5, 2008