Re: Fileserver/desktop search engine

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm looking for a search engine for use on our Windows network. We
    > mainly need to search the fileserver but searching on the local
    > workstations, especially Outlook, would be useful too.
    >
    > We need to control access to the fileserver for different groups
    > though.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

    Windows Search V4 ?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose
    /windowssearch4.mspx

    Controlling access to different groups is easily done via Active
    Directory; create some OU's and put users in them, share folders with
    access according to OU's you've created. Are you running Server 2003 or
    better?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 5, 2008

  2. Dave Doe

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:32:58 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> I'm looking for a search engine for use on our Windows network. We
    >> mainly need to search the fileserver but searching on the local
    >> workstations, especially Outlook, would be useful too.
    >>
    >> We need to control access to the fileserver for different groups
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations?

    >Windows Search V4 ?
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose
    >/windowssearch4.mspx
    >
    >Controlling access to different groups is easily done via Active
    >Directory; create some OU's and put users in them, share folders with
    >access according to OU's you've created. Are you running Server 2003 or
    >better?

    It's 2003. I wasn't sure how desktop search engines worked with user
    rights. Do they save the user permissions to each file record they
    create?

    IOW if an administrator does a search on the fileserver from a
    workstation, then someone else does a search for the same thing, is
    there a mechanism to prevent the second person getting results for
    files that only the administrator has permissions to use?

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Sep 5, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:32:58 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...
    > >> I'm looking for a search engine for use on our Windows network. We
    > >> mainly need to search the fileserver but searching on the local
    > >> workstations, especially Outlook, would be useful too.
    > >>
    > >> We need to control access to the fileserver for different groups
    > >> though.
    > >>
    > >> Any recommendations?

    > >Windows Search V4 ?
    > >
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose
    > >/windowssearch4.mspx
    > >
    > >Controlling access to different groups is easily done via Active
    > >Directory; create some OU's and put users in them, share folders with
    > >access according to OU's you've created. Are you running Server 2003 or
    > >better?

    > It's 2003. I wasn't sure how desktop search engines worked with user
    > rights. Do they save the user permissions to each file record they
    > create?

    Don't know.

    > IOW if an administrator does a search on the fileserver from a
    > workstation, then someone else does a search for the same thing, is
    > there a mechanism to prevent the second person getting results for
    > files that only the administrator has permissions to use?

    I think you should try it, I doubt you'll like Search Server Express (I
    sure didn't). The guff looks good on Search V4, but... I haven't tried
    it out! :)

    If you don't have a non-production server to try it out on (I think
    that's reasonable advice from Alan), let me know and I'll get my arse
    into gear and try it out, let you know what I find.

    That said, I don't think it's *risky* putting it on a production server;
    however I would do it remotely, at night etc, when users aren't on, and
    test on a workstation (also remote, of course). And if it's terrible,
    remove it before the morning. That said, it may take *hours* to index -
    but I would assume you can bang back the indexing to something quite
    minimal for testing purposes.

    The worse you could do (IMO) is slow your network down due index
    syncing. I used Googles desktop search on a non-production server, but
    found it was just not configurable enough for a Server type environment
    (it took over a week to make the index (didn't worry me, easy on the CPU
    is more important)), but in the end, it just didn't find stuff that I
    knew was there. Kinda pointless having it on eh? So that got removed.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 5, 2008
  4. Dave Doe

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:09:23 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:32:58 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >says...

    >> >Windows Search V4 ?
    >> >
    >> >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose
    >> >/windowssearch4.mspx
    >> >
    >> >Controlling access to different groups is easily done via Active
    >> >Directory; create some OU's and put users in them, share folders with
    >> >access according to OU's you've created. Are you running Server 2003 or
    >> >better?

    >> It's 2003. I wasn't sure how desktop search engines worked with user
    >> rights. Do they save the user permissions to each file record they
    >> create?

    >Don't know.
    >
    >> IOW if an administrator does a search on the fileserver from a
    >> workstation, then someone else does a search for the same thing, is
    >> there a mechanism to prevent the second person getting results for
    >> files that only the administrator has permissions to use?

    >I think you should try it, I doubt you'll like Search Server Express (I
    >sure didn't). The guff looks good on Search V4, but... I haven't tried
    >it out! :)

    I'll give them both a try and see how they go.

    >If you don't have a non-production server to try it out on (I think
    >that's reasonable advice from Alan), let me know and I'll get my arse
    >into gear and try it out, let you know what I find.

    We have a dedicated VMware box for this kind of thing :)

    >That said, I don't think it's *risky* putting it on a production server;
    >however I would do it remotely, at night etc, when users aren't on, and
    >test on a workstation (also remote, of course). And if it's terrible,
    >remove it before the morning. That said, it may take *hours* to index -
    >but I would assume you can bang back the indexing to something quite
    >minimal for testing purposes.
    >
    >The worse you could do (IMO) is slow your network down due index
    >syncing. I used Googles desktop search on a non-production server, but
    >found it was just not configurable enough for a Server type environment
    >(it took over a week to make the index (didn't worry me, easy on the CPU
    >is more important)), but in the end, it just didn't find stuff that I
    >knew was there. Kinda pointless having it on eh? So that got removed.

    That's good to know.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Sep 5, 2008