Re: %****% files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:40:19 -0500, nutzel wrote:

    >I have XP with all the updates

    This doesn't help with possibly corrupted profile issues :)

    >For some reason or other 2 folders have appeared on my desktop and I know
    >not why. I believe they are system files that should be hidden but altho I
    >have the "Do not show hidden files and folders" checked they do not
    >dissappear. I have even unchecked it and rechecked it again, all to no

    You also need to have the object (file/folder) with the hidden attribute
    so you can not show/show hidden objects.

    >The 2 folders are: %USERPROFILES% and %SystemDrive%

    Open a cmd prompt and type

    You should get the settings for (something like)
    USERPROFILE=D:\Documents and Settings\<username>

    >When I open The %USERPROFILES% folder it shows the Document and Settings
    >folder and goes on from there.

    The contents are current and appear to look okay otherwise?

    >When I open The %SystemDrive% folder it shows the Application Data an the
    >History folders and goes on from there.

    %systemdrive% is where the installed 'windows' folder is.

    If you use win explorer are the profile folders / system folder in the
    correct place, i.e. not only in the desktop folder. You may be lucky and
    it's a copy.

    Never had to fix this, we usually wipe profiles and simply restore a
    backup. It's a lot faster.

    If it's something else...well will have to wait and see.

    Just found this
    Results 1 - 10 of about 240,000 for xp systemdrive folder on desktop.
    (0.31 seconds)

    It seems to be a popular issue :-(

    %systemdrive% folder appears on desktop : desktop, folder
    One of my users had a folder appear on her desktop %systemdrive%. We
    don't know why it showed up, btu laptop appears to be working
    fine...just weird to have ...
    - 68k - Cached - Similar pages -
    %SystemDrive% Folder on Desktop [RESOLVED]
    15 posts - Last post: 31 Aug 2006
    SystemDrive% Folder on Desktop [RESOLVED] : A while ago, a folder ...
    you currently are not using one (Windows XP has a built-in firewall).
    .... - 319k -
    Cached - Similar pages -
    %SystemDrive% on desktop after fix & scans; win media player probs
    15 posts - Last post: 22 Aug 2006
    to sum up, i've got two problems: first, "%SystemDrive%" folder has
    appeared on my desktop, seemingly as the result of running anti-adware
    - 157k - Cached - Similar pages -
    Please Help Asap! %systemdrive% Folder Appeared On Desktop - The ...
    2 posts - Last post: 29 May 2007
    Oh, shortly before I found the %SystemDrive% folder on the Desktop, ...
    "When you start the DHCP Clint service on a Windows XP-based ... - 65k - Cached -
    Similar pages -
    Why is a folder called "%SystemDrive%" appears on my deskt..
    5 posts - Last post: 23 Feb 2007
    But what brings this folder on my desktop? I'm the only user of my >
    computers at home. And my other computers using Windows2000 and xp home
    - 36k - Cached - Similar pages -

    why?, Jan 28, 2009