Re: Files in XP &/or 9x

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Barry Watzman, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Generally, yes.

    Please note, your statement "Obviously XP is NTFS" is not necessarily
    correct. On my systems (six of them, 4 desktops, two laptops), I have
    XP installed on FAT32 partitions. XP supports both Fat32 and NTFS,
    although on most new machines it will come the factory as NTFS (however,
    this can be changed, and reinstalling the OS is not necessary to change it).

    But none of this matters when you send files over a network. The file
    is just a string of bytes, and once on the network, the partition format
    of the machine from which it came is irrelevant. In fact, a network can
    have systems with not only Microsoft NTFS and FAT based computers on it,
    it can also have Linux, Apple Mac's, Sun Servers and all variety of
    non-Microsoft OS' on it, all exchanging files.

    The real answer to your question relates not to the OS or to the
    partition format, but to the applications software. You can definitely
    move the files around between systems. The question is can the
    application software that you use on both ends both deal with the same
    file formats. As far as Office is concerned, in general they can
    (noting that in some cases, files created by later versions cannot be
    opened by earlier versions). But beyond that, you will have to answer
    the applications software compatability issues for yourself. However,
    it has NOTHING to do with the FAT vs. NTFS issue, or, for that matter,
    the 98 vs. 2000 vs. XP issue.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Barry Watzman

    RussS Guest

    True enough - I have a bunch of laptops that I am installing XP pro for a
    friends company - they all were delivered with XP home and loaded FAT32.

    --
    RussS
    MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+

    http://www.techexams.net/
    RussS, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Barry Watzman

    Fuzzball123 Guest

    Files in XP &/or 9x

    Why would anyone want to do FAT32 when you could have the power and
    stability of NTFS for your laptops? Seems a bit of a waste of money to me,
    like getting Win98 with a prettier interface.

    Not criticizing here, just wondering.
    Fuzzball123, Jun 30, 2003