Re: Files being corrupted during transfer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Cohen, Dec 23, 2010.

  1. Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 12/22/2010 7:44 PM, Peabody wrote:
    > A friend of mine has a new Canon T2i, and is having trouble with
    > corrupted files when he removes the SD card from the camera and
    > uses a card reader to transfer the jpegs to his computer.
    >
    > When the card is in the camera, everything works fine. All the
    > pics display fine in playback mode, and in fact he can transfer the
    > pics just fine by connecting a USB cable directly to the camera.
    >
    > I've tried transferring the files to my computer using his card
    > reader, and there are no problems. But using my hex editor, I've
    > compared the good and bad versions of a few of the files that were
    > corrupted, and the bad versions are different by 512 bytes - that
    > segment of the bad file contains a copy of a previously transferred
    > 512 bytes in the file, rather than what should be there. For
    > example, at 24ca00-24cbff one file has a copy of the contents at
    > 24c400-24c5ff rather than what is in the good file at 24ca00. But
    > the absolute and relative addresses involved are not the same from
    > one corrupted file to another. And some files have multiple
    > 512-byte screwups. And of course many of the files aren't corrupt
    > at all.
    >
    > Since I've confirmed he didn't imagine this, but since I also can't
    > duplicate it, I'm trying to make sure I've considered all the
    > possiblitites for the cause. Since the files are correct on the SD
    > card, I would conclude it's highly unlikely the camera is at fault.
    > I think it's also unlikely, but maybe not highly unlikely, that
    > there's a problem with the card. While he reports that he has had
    > the problem with two Transcend class 6 cards, but not with a Lexar
    > card, all of those cards work fine using his card reader on my
    > computer.
    >
    > The card reader could be at fault, even though it works fine for
    > me. But I'm leaning more toward a USB problem - either a bad cable
    > (he didn't bring me the cable he's been using with the reader), or
    > possibly not enough current available at the port he's connecting
    > to.
    >
    > Is there any other possiblity I haven't considered that he should
    > check for? His computer works fine, and there's no indication of
    > any other file corruption issues.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > By the way, I gotta tell you this T2i is one slick mother. The
    > high-ISO performance is very impressive.

    Sounds like his machine. If he's using a front usb port try one of the
    rear ports. Of course, if a cable is involved you must eliminate that. I
    assume he's not using a hub, you would have jumped on that one. You
    might also temporarily disconnect other usb devices.

    Dave Cohen, Dec 23, 2010

  2. Dave Cohen

    Ron Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > On 12/22/2010 7:44 PM, Peabody wrote:
    >> A friend of mine has a new Canon T2i, and is having trouble with
    >> corrupted files when he removes the SD card from the camera and
    >> uses a card reader to transfer the jpegs to his computer.
    >>
    >> When the card is in the camera, everything works fine. All the
    >> pics display fine in playback mode, and in fact he can transfer the
    >> pics just fine by connecting a USB cable directly to the camera.
    >>
    >> I've tried transferring the files to my computer using his card
    >> reader, and there are no problems. But using my hex editor, I've
    >> compared the good and bad versions of a few of the files that were
    >> corrupted, and the bad versions are different by 512 bytes - that
    >> segment of the bad file contains a copy of a previously transferred
    >> 512 bytes in the file, rather than what should be there. For
    >> example, at 24ca00-24cbff one file has a copy of the contents at
    >> 24c400-24c5ff rather than what is in the good file at 24ca00. But
    >> the absolute and relative addresses involved are not the same from
    >> one corrupted file to another. And some files have multiple
    >> 512-byte screwups. And of course many of the files aren't corrupt
    >> at all.
    >>
    >> Since I've confirmed he didn't imagine this, but since I also can't
    >> duplicate it, I'm trying to make sure I've considered all the
    >> possiblitites for the cause. Since the files are correct on the SD
    >> card, I would conclude it's highly unlikely the camera is at fault.
    >> I think it's also unlikely, but maybe not highly unlikely, that
    >> there's a problem with the card. While he reports that he has had
    >> the problem with two Transcend class 6 cards, but not with a Lexar
    >> card, all of those cards work fine using his card reader on my
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> The card reader could be at fault, even though it works fine for
    >> me. But I'm leaning more toward a USB problem - either a bad cable
    >> (he didn't bring me the cable he's been using with the reader), or
    >> possibly not enough current available at the port he's connecting
    >> to.
    >>
    >> Is there any other possiblity I haven't considered that he should
    >> check for? His computer works fine, and there's no indication of
    >> any other file corruption issues.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>
    >> By the way, I gotta tell you this T2i is one slick mother. The
    >> high-ISO performance is very impressive.
    >>

    > Sounds like his machine. If he's using a front usb port try one of the
    > rear ports. Of course, if a cable is involved you must eliminate that. I
    > assume he's not using a hub, you would have jumped on that one. You might
    > also temporarily disconnect other usb devices.

    A number of years back my computer system worked fine, then I bought a new
    HP printer. After installing the USB printer everything worked fine except
    the USB keyboard would at times shift in and out of upper case on its own.
    If I unplugged the the printer the keyboard worked fine. Had to be the
    printer/printer software, I thought. I downloaded the printer drivers and
    software from the HP web site thinking something was corrupt in what I had.
    With the recently downloaded softwear and drivers the keyboard problem was
    still there. Must be a problem with the HP software/drivers. With a HP
    tech on the line we worked through a number of things and finally determined
    it wasn't HP at all, it was my hub! Although it worked fine before the new
    printer was installed it still had a problem. I purchased a new hub and
    that same HP printer has since worked fine with several different PCs.

    Ron

    Ron, Dec 27, 2010