Re: File Size vs. Printed Photo Size

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chrlz@go.com, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    >... I find it comic that people discussing the latest and
    > greatest technology persist in using inches.

    We use inches because the *entire print industry* thinks in, and uses,
    inches. I live in a metric country but we still use dpi, ppi, and inch
    measurements for paper - because that's what they are still cut to, and
    that is the worldwide standard. If you want to use pixels per cm, go
    ahead, but don't expect many to follow or recognise your numbers.

    And I'm afraid if you can't see the difference between 300 dpi and 100
    dpi (at 12" viewing distance, no magnifier) on a *detailed* image, like
    a detailed cityscape or a landscape with fine foliage, etc, then you
    need your eyes tested. On some subjects, like soft portraits, you may
    be able to get away with less than 100, but that is meaningless when it
    comes to an image where there *is* fine detail.
    , Mar 22, 2005

  2. Rick Guest

    wrote:
    > We use inches because the *entire print industry* thinks in, and uses,
    > inches.

    Tell me about it, its gotten to the point that I now have to think when
    someone sizes their prints in cm/mm

    > If you want to use pixels per cm, go
    > ahead, but don't expect many to follow or recognise your numbers.

    No, please please please never talk to a printer in ppc :)

    --

    Rick

    Digital Printing
    www.intelligence-direct.com - 01270 215550
    Rick, Mar 22, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    > >... I find it comic that people discussing the latest and
    >> greatest technology persist in using inches.

    > We use inches because the *entire print industry* thinks in,
    > and uses, inches. I live in a metric country but we still use
    > dpi, ppi, and inch measurements for paper - because that's
    > what they are still cut to, and that is the worldwide standard.

    That would depend on where you are located. Over here ("old Europe")
    we usually only talk inches when speaking with people that may have a
    difficulty with the metric world standards. Even paper sizes are
    fractions (with a fixed aspect ratio) of square metres. If paper sizes
    are cut in inches, it is due to their US/UK origin or destination
    markets.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Bubbabob Guest

    Inkjet printer nozzle spacings are based on inches no matter where you
    live. I think it's wrong but there it is.
    Bubbabob, Mar 22, 2005
  5. "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > Inkjet printer nozzle spacings are based on inches no matter
    > where you live. I think it's wrong but there it is.

    Are you sure they aren't millimetres or microns, converted to
    fractions of an inch? ;-)

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Bubbabob Guest

    "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote:

    > "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    >> Inkjet printer nozzle spacings are based on inches no matter
    >> where you live. I think it's wrong but there it is.

    > Are you sure they aren't millimetres or microns, converted to
    > fractions of an inch? ;-)
    >
    > Bart

    Yes. .07055555555555555555555555555555555 mm is an unlikely nozzle pitch.

    The Japanese design printers for their biggest market, the US, and
    everyone else has to come along for the ride.
    Bubbabob, Mar 23, 2005
  7. "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    > "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    >>> Inkjet printer nozzle spacings are based on inches no matter
    >>> where you live. I think it's wrong but there it is.

    >> Are you sure they aren't millimetres or microns, converted to
    >> fractions of an inch? ;-)
    >>
    >> Bart
    >>

    > Yes. .07055555555555555555555555555555555 mm is an unlikely nozzle
    > pitch.

    Yes, unlikely to be exactly 360 nozzles per inch indeed! Or did you
    measure that? Or do you have a link to the patent paper.

    Micro-electromechanical systems ("MEMS"), such as InkJet print head
    nozzles, are fabricated using standard VLSI semi-conductor chip
    fabrication techniques. Do you know that the nozzles are formed
    (etching/depositing) with control dimensions based on e.g. 0.5 micron
    grids. The nozzles within a (e.g. bubblejet) print head are aligned to
    sub-micron accuracy by the 0.5 micron stepper used for the lithography
    of the print head (Note: not inches but microns).

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Mar 23, 2005
  8. Bubbabob Guest

    "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote:

    > "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
    >> "Bart van der Wolf" <> wrote:

    > Yes, unlikely to be exactly 360 nozzles per inch indeed! Or did you
    > measure that? Or do you have a link to the patent paper.

    I measured it by analyzing the moires created by vectorized parallel lines
    at 359, 360 and 361 ppi.

    I grant that the heads are fabricated in microns but that the number of
    microns between nozzles has been chosen with the intent of approaching 360
    ppi as closely as possible.
    Bubbabob, Mar 24, 2005