Re: File Sharing Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Steven L Umbach, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. If you are using simple file sharing then the guest account needs to be
    enabled and the everyone group needs permissions to the share and the folder
    via NTFS permissions. You can see if simple file sharing is enabled in
    Windows Explorer/tools/folder options/view and looking at the lost item at
    the bottom of the list - use simple file sharing.

    If simple file sharing is not used then the computer with the share needs to
    have a local user account that matches the logon/password that the user from
    the client computer uses to logon to their computer and the user must have a
    password as accounts with blank password can not be used to access a share.
    Sometimes My Network Places does not work reliably and you also use
    \\computername\share in the run box or try \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share using the
    actual IP address of the computer that has the share [use ipconfig /all] to
    try and access the share. If the computer with share has the Windows
    Firewall or other software firewall/protection software that can also block
    access to a share but usually the error message indicates "can not
    locate/find" in such situations. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Jan 20, 2006

  2. On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:00:42 -0500, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >Tried system restore. Didn't work. BTW I have a third system(C). A and
    >C get along just fine as far as sharing goes.

    Compare settings in B and C to see if you can tell any differences?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 20, 2006

  3. I was partially wrong in that you are right that you can use simple file
    sharing while the guest account is disabled which still means that users
    authenticate to the share as guest/anonymous but can not logon interactively
    to the computer that has the share as guest. However unless you are using
    FAT32 there are indeed permissions to shares and folders via NTFS
    permissions. You need to boot into Safe Mode and logon as an administrator
    to see the NTFS security tab on folders in XP Home or disable simple file
    sharing in XP Pro to see the security tab for folders. When using simple
    file sharing users can only access shares that include everyone for both
    share and folder/NTFS permissions assuming NTFS is used. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 --- XP file
    sharing

    Steven L Umbach, Jan 21, 2006